Handball W-ch In Germany

Handball is the second favorite team sport among Germans. So, the W-Ch is the highlight of this year in the sport calender here in Germany.

Participating Teams:

Group A in Wetzlar

Tunisia

Slovenia

Kuwait

Greenland (!)

Group B in Magdeburg

France (European Champion 2006)

Iceland

Ukraine

Australia

Group C in Berlin and Halle/Westf.

Germany

Poland

Brazil

Argentina

Group D in Bremen

Spain (Title Holder)

Czech Republic

Egypt

Qatar

Group E in Kiel

Denmark

Norway

Hungary

Angola

Group F in Stuttgart

Croatia (Olympic Champion 2004)

Russia

South Korea

Morocco

Venues:

BERLIN

Max-Schmeling-Halle (Cap.: 10´000)

bg_berlin2_dpa_400.jpg

HALLE/WESTFALEN

Gerry-Weber-Stadion (11´000)

bg_halle_dpa_400.jpg

WETZLAR

Mittelhessen-Arena (5´000)

bg_wetzlar_dpa_400.jpg

MAGDEBURG

Bördelandhalle (7´850)

bg_magdeburg_dpa_400.jpg

BREMEN

AWD-Dome (9´200)

bg_bremen_dpa_400.jpg

KIEL

Ostseehalle (10´200)

bg_kiel_dpa_400.jpg

STUTTGART

Porsche-Arena (6´100)

bg_stuttgart2_dpa_400.jpg

DORTMUND

Westfalenhalle (12´000)

bg_dortmund_dpa_400.jpg

MANNHEIM

SAP-Arena (13´200)

bg_mannheim2_dpa_400.jpg

LEMGO

Lipperlandhalle (5´000)

bg_lemgo_dpa_400.jpg

Handball is the second favorite team sport among Germans. So, the W-Ch is the highlight of this year in the sport calender here in Germany.

Nevertheless, we as Germans have to admit that our fellow countrymen seem not to be too crazy about these World Championships. I don't know about the ticket sales, but the current media attention for this event is surprisingly low. OK, football might be more popular by far -- but I'm quite astonished that you can feel not a bit of eager anticipation for the W-CH in our country. But I hope that this mood changes as soon as the first matches have been played.

Nevertheless, we as Germans have to admit that our fellow countrymen seem not to be too crazy about these World Championships. I don't know about the ticket sales, but the current media attention for this event is surprisingly low. OK, football might be more popular by far -- but I'm quite astonished that you can feel not a bit of eager anticipation for the W-CH in our country. But I hope that this mood changes as soon as the first matches have been played.

Of course handball is by far not as popular as football. But for me as a former handball player i am really excited about this W-Ch. The Mens Bundesliga is the strongest league together with Spain and France.

The real surprise is Greenland!!! It has qualified for the W-Ch ahead of the USA and Canada. What an embarrassment for the two nations.

Can we just pretend Canada withdrew of the qualification? I can't stand that we lost to Greenland... Honestly, I hate it that Handball is so unpopular in Canada. I LOVE that sport, but they are no leagues at all in my area...

Anyway, am I the only one surprised to see that Sweden is not there?

The irony of Greenland qualifying for a world championship is this:

Even though there are slots for North and South American teams at the Olympics, Greenland cannot compete in the Olympics. Greenland does not have a recognized National Olympic Committee, which is quite sad. Of course, as you all know, the IOC will only allow independent nations as new members of the Olympic movement, and even though Greenland is a self-governing territory of Denmark, independence may never happen in this lifetime.

Though, if Greenland miraculously places among the top 8 or so (I believe that the top 8 get automatic berths in the Olympic handball tournament), things may change, but I highly doubt it.

Anyway, am I the only one surprised to see that Sweden is not there?

Well, it is really sad that Sweden hasnt qualified for the W Ch. It has lost the play-off match against Iceland. Many of their best players finished their career a few years ago and the youngsters are not strong enough for the tough qualification in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the opening match has been played: Germany beat Brazil 27-22. That's certainly not an overwhelming start for the German team. I hope that they'll improve their performance for the next matches. But I also think that we can't expect as much from that team as of their colleagues in football and hockey last year.

Quarterfinals:

Poland - Russia

Iceland - Denmark

Croatia - France

Spain - Germany

Semifinals:

POL/RUS - ICE/DEN

CRO/FRA - ESP/GER

So the best four teams FRA/CRO/GER/ESP in one half. What a pity and what a disgrace for a W-CH!!!

Croatia is till the favourite.

German theft to Spain...

Let's see you in the European Basketball Championships Madrid 2007, Germany :D You'll see the love of Spanish people to Germany LOL

German theft to Spain...

Let's see you in the European Basketball Championships Madrid 2007, Germany :D You'll see the love of Spanish people to Germany LOL

Come on -- you had the title as World Champion last time. You can't always be successful. Additionally, I think that the spectators in Madrid are able to distinguish between the handball and the basketball team. During the World Equestrian Games in Aachen last August, the spectators weren't hostile to the Italian competitors either -- despite the fact that Italy kicked us out of the World Cup a few weeks before.

The real surprise is Greenland!!! It has qualified for the W-Ch ahead of the USA and Canada. What an embarrassment for the two nations.

Sure it was a BIG surprise. An even big embarrassment for Cuba as well, which is the best team in the North/Central America Zone and the only one who can compete with Brazil and Argentina for the Pan-american gold medal

It´s a pity that Brazil couldn´t make better. Handball is getting very popular here, it´s the sport most played by teens at school. A better result would help increase its popularity here.

At least our women´s team is getting better year by year. Last year samba girls won a tournment in the Netherlands. Let´s see how they can perform against Europeans next WC.

By the way.... where is going to be the Women´s Handball WC ?

Come on -- you had the title as World Champion last time. You can't always be successful. Additionally, I think that the spectators in Madrid are able to distinguish between the handball and the basketball team. During the World Equestrian Games in Aachen last August, the spectators weren't hostile to the Italian competitors either -- despite the fact that Italy kicked us out of the World Cup a few weeks before.

By the way, the Norwegian referees were sent home yesterday and they won't probably be in anymore World Championships nor European Championships... Maybe Germany can pay their retirement with public help...

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!

I really thought during the last two minutes of the regular time that the semi-final curse of the FIFA World Cup returns. But they've turned the whole thing around and now Germany is playing for the title! And who expected that just two weeks ago, with an injury-stricken German team? What an exceptional tournament!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!

I really thought during the last two minutes of the regular time that the semi-final curse of the FIFA World Cup returns. But they've turned the whole thing around and now Germany is playing for the title! And who expected that just two weeks ago, with an injury-stricken German team? What an exceptional tournament!

Yeah, the title this year must go for the "real good" referees, will they make the German goals in the final? That's the only thing they haven't done yet...

Anyway, in Croatia 2009 we'll see the REAL potential of the teams, and not partial results. By the way, GO POLAND, YOU DESERVE TO WIN!

Yeah, the title this year must go for the "real good" referees, will they make the German goals in the final? That's the only thing they haven't done yet...

Anyway, in Croatia 2009 we'll see the REAL potential of the teams, and not partial results. By the way, GO POLAND, YOU DESERVE TO WIN!

You can stop throwing your dirty laundry.

The referee commission of IHF has confirmed that the accusations of the Spanish coach against the quarterfinal referees are unjustified. There have been mistakes by the referee team of this match, yes. But the mistakes were on both sides, the Germans were not benefited. And you know what? -- The IHF referee commission has one Spanish member!

See this interview with IHF General Director Frank Birkefeld (published yesterday in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung): "Germans not benefited"

The translation of the relevant part of the interview:

During these World Championships, there has been repeated criticism about the referees, most recently by the Spanish national coach Juan Carlos Pastor who claimed that the referees had decided the quarterfinal between Germany and Spain by unfair decisions. Do you, the director of the International Handball Federation, understand those accusations?

Absolutely not. There has been criticism twice: once after the match between Germany and Slovenia, and once after the match between Germany and Spain. I can imagine that there have been accusations raised in the first enragement. The referee commission has reviewed the matches. And the fact that a Spaniard is member of the commission proves that one can assume absolute neutrality. Indeed, there have been mistakes committed by the referees -- but on both sides. There can be no talk of the Germans having been benefited.

And by the way: The Norwegian referees of the quarterfinal weren't sent home due to their performance during the match but due to the usual reduction of referee teams for the final matches of the tournament.

Archived