Moscow'80!

baron-pierreIV

• 2 weeks later...

I just got done commenting on the Atlanta anniversary. Now Moscow, I still am upset with that peanut farmer who pretended to be a President and kept us out of Moscow (It upset me even more when he had the audacity to attend the OC in Atlanta after being such an idiot in regard to Olympic issues back in 1980). I still think of the many athletes who were deprived of the opportunity to compete, not just from the USA, but from the other boycotting nations. Same for those who missed out in 1984, which would have never happened if we had shown up in 1980.

I just got done commenting on the Atlanta anniversary. Now Moscow, I still am upset with that peanut farmer who pretended to be a President and kept us out of Moscow (It upset me even more when he had the audacity to attend the OC in Atlanta after being such an idiot in regard to Olympic issues back in 1980). I

He even carried the Olympic Torch...

• 3 years later...

Found some interesting pics from the 1980 Moscow Games. They were taken by Sandra Henderson's parents. She of course lit the Montreal cauldron with Stephane Prefontaine and both of them were Moscow for the Antwerp Flag handover ceremony (a practice now performed at the closing ceremony to the future host).

The Hendersons in Moscow (1980)

Moscow-Olympic-Games-1980-012.jpg

Found some interesting pics from the 1980 Moscow Games. They were taken by Sandra Henderson's parents. She of course lit the Montreal cauldron with Stephane Prefontaine and both of them were Moscow for the Antwerp Flag handover ceremony (a practice now performed at the closing ceremony to the future host).

The Hendersons in Moscow (1980)

Moscow-Olympic-Games-1980-012.jpg

Great find! Did the Canadian's compete in Moscow - I know the BOA sent a British team but there was a massive amount of pressure from that bitch of PM - Margaret Thatcher not to attend. In the end the British team competed under the Olympic flag and didn't march in the opening ceremony.

Canada was one of the 65 nations that boycotted the Moscow Olympics. But as host of the 1976 Games, Montreal had to send a small delegation to the Opening Ceremony for the Antwerp Flag handover. Normally, it would be the mayor of the previous host city, but instead of sending Mayor Drapeau, they sent Henderson and Prefontaine.

Archived