F1: 2007

Because, the car is 90% of the performance. Even if he does move back to Renault, if he's given car anything like the one they've had this season, no matter how well he drives, he won't come close to winning the title.

It's a dillema for him, is it not?

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to sound "Alonso is the best", but maybe the ausence of Alonso in Renault has had negative effects on 2007 car. But of course, Renault's 2007 car wasn't very competitive at all and this should be changed, maybe Alonso could help in that with his work and advice.

Yes it is a dilema.

What a catastrophe for the English team... It will be written in the History books of F1 LOL!! They had it all to win, and they only accepted one driver to win... So when this driver failed, they lost the championship. I doubt Santander will stay one year more in the team LOL.

What a catastrophe for the English team... It will be written in the History books of F1 LOL!! They had it all to win, and they only accepted one driver to win... So when this driver failed, they lost the championship. I doubt Santander will stay one year more in the team LOL.

Do you get a kick out of hitting people whilst they are down. I find your post distasteful Mikel. Have you read this thread at all or are you just posting your vitriol on here cos you find it funny. Well, I don't. I have already said that I would have been happy enough and accepting if Alonso had won. At the end of this day, it's only a sport. My cat was just mudered. Guess for yourself where my priorities lie? If you go much further, I'll put you on the same list for castration as the people that cruelly murdered my cat! You are unkind Mikel, and I always kind of liked your posts and had respect for you! Shame really you had to tear my heart out whilst you were at it!

They had it all to win, and they only accepted one driver to win...So when this driver failed, they lost the championship

That's why Alonso finished on equal points was it? Stop your silly conspiracy theories; Alonso was given every chance by McLaren and he was matched by a driver in his first season in the sport and beaten by one who went about his business quietly and confidently without making a fuss.

Alonso wasn't quite good enough, nor was Hamilton. I think it's very apt that after a season of accusations about one driver being favoured over another, that they finished on exactly the same points. They were given exactly the same car, exactly the same chance and could not be separated.

It all bodes very well for the future of F1 which is great!! If, as you post suggests you can't recognise how fantastic this season has been on the track and how great it has been to see three top drivers fighting for the title, and instead resort to conspiracy theories to explain why your favoured driver didn't win, then I feel sorry for you because you're missing out.

So, once again, CONGRATS KIMI, and let's hope next season is as good as this one!

Man... the least expected scenario really happened :lol: Imagine if Massa had not held on to second place...

Nothing to do with nationalities, but it's an ironic closing for this Hamilton-versus-Alonso insane championship :P Too bad I couldn't see it this year (damn pay-per-view channel who bought all broadcast rights).

Well... we have seen today that Hamilton couldn't with all the preassure... at the start from 2nd place to 4th... then when he went out of the track until place 9th i think...

The championship was in Hamilton's hands not in Alonso's ones and Hamilton was the one who had more to lose, and he has lost it...

Well... we have seen today that Hamilton couldn't with all the preassure... at the start from 2nd place to 4th... then when he went out of the track until place 9th i think...

The championship was in Hamilton's hands not in Alonso's ones and Hamilton was the one who had more to lose, and he has lost it...

Oh yeh, I forgot he designed his own gear box! D'oh! :blink:

As for the mistake at the start, it was a relatively small one and he more than made up for it with the way he drove during the rest of the race. If his gearbox hadn't stopped working for half a lap we'd be talking about Hamilton winning the Championship. He only had to finish in 5th with the Ferraris miles ahead of Alonso and he almost certainly would have done that if his gearbox didn't pack up as it did.

On the other hand, if he hadn't made that mistake but his gearbox still packed up, Raikkonen would be champion.

In other words, Hamilton's mistake had little outcome on the final result as the Ferraris were so far ahead and his gearbox troubles would have happened regardless. So any talk of Hamilton bottling it is dumb, quite frankly.

And another thing, I'm quite fed up with having to write these kind of responses regarding Hamilton's ability which is plain for almost everyone to see. It's funny that's it's always our Spanish members I'm responding to, isn't it?

Has Kimi won the title though?

SAO PAULO, Oct 21 (Reuters) - A question mark hung over Kimi Raikkonen's Formula One title on Sunday after Brazilian Grand Prix stewards summoned representatives of BMW Sauber and Williams for alleged technical irregularities.

A BMW spokeswoman said the investigation concerned fuel temperatures.

Williams' Nico Rosberg finished fourth in the race with BMW's Sauber's Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld fifth and sixth.

Should they be disqualified, McLaren's Lewis Hamilton would be promoted to fourth place - handing the 22-year-old British rookie the title.

Ferrari's Raikkonen beat Hamilton and his Spanish team mate Fernando Alonso by one point after winning Sunday's race at Interlagos. Alonso was third and Hamilton seventh.

Link

Well, i see you have olny read what you wanted it is funny too, because i have no mention the gearbox problem which placed Hamilton in the 18th place because i know that it was a problem that he couldn't control it wasn't his fault at all.... read my post again.

Has Kimi won the title though?

Link

This is highly unfortunate if it happens. Kimi deserves the title, in fact if not for reliability problems would probably be his 3rd title.

Mind you this may wreck of conspiracy to some people, because Bernie publicly stated that he did not want Kimi to win.

Kimi has been confirmed as the 2007 F1 champion. I read from the BBC that there could have been a protest of some kind, but I believe that it has been rejected.

I always supported Räikönnen. So i am very happy, that he has won the title. Here in Germany, i think the majority of F1 viewers wanted Räikönnen (Ferrari) or Hamilton to win. Alonso got very bad press comments here and i think he totally deserve them.

Hopefully the next season will be without Schumi II but with Vettel in a better cockpit. He is our biggest hope.

McLaren are appealing against the stewards, though I wish they weren't. Kimi deserves the title more than anyone else and a line should be drawn under this season now. Off the track it's been a total mess and were it not for Lewis, I'd have given up on it a long time ago.

F1 should be the most simple of sports and it's beauty is in it's simplicity; the fastest guy is the winner, simple. All the off the track stuff really, really detracts from it. I don't want Lewis to win the title because of three other drivers being excluded; it would be almost as meaningless as Ferrari's constrctor's championship "win" and is not worthy of such a talented young sportsman.

And Alonso has said pretty much the same thing:

Fernando Alonso would be "embarrassed" if his McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton won the world title on appeal.

Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen took the title after winning in Brazil on Sunday but McLaren's expected challenge over the result may yet hand Hamilton the crown.

Race stewards investigated alleged fuel irregularities by Williams and BMW Sauber, but decided not to punish them.

"If he wins the title because of this it wouldn't be fair. I'd be embarrassed for this sport," said Alonso.

Link

As you can tell from my last post I agree with him on this, though if you read the rest of the article you'll see he goes on to have his usual whinge about how unfairly he's been treated at McLaren. I wish he'd just shut up. For those who are still interested in Alonso's boring moaning:

"McLaren got it wrong, they lost the championship for the mistaken decisions they made in the second part of the season," the Spaniard told radio station Cadena Ser.

"It isn't a secret that they haven't helped me much. It wasn't a very well-organised season from the point of view of the management.

"There was no sensation of being a team and the result speaks for itself.

"Each person will have to draw their own lessons from this season but if we had taken a different approach we would have obtained different results."

He added: "In the last few races my hands and feet were tied. I had no power to make decisions. I had to race as they told me.

Diddums! <_<

He was given every chance by McLaren. If he'd won the championship yesterday, which he had every chance of doing by the way because he had a very good car underneath him, do you think he'd still be so unhappy? I very much doubt it. He didn't like McLaren's policy of equal treatment (one which unlike other teams they have always maintained whether it was Kimi and Montoya, Coulthard and Hakinenn or Alonso and Hamilton) because he thought, perhaps understandably, that as double world champion he should be the No. 1 driver.

Fair enough, if he felt he was being treated unfairly, he has every right to say so. But the fact that both McLaren drivers had four wins and both finished on 109 points suggests to me he was given every chance by his team. With these comments he comes across as a spoilt brat which is a shame because he is a superb F1 driver and on the track is a great advert for the sport.

Well I really don't know what to make of all this. As much as I don't blame McLaren for pursuing their appeal in the face of the blatant inconsistencies in which they have been a persistent victim this season, the possibility, whether remote or otherwise, of the World Championship title being decided in a courtroom rather than on the track where it should be settled, is something that I thoroughly detest.

As much as I am disappointed that Lewis Hamilton did not win the title, Kimi Raikkonen does not deserve to have it taken away from him now through no fault of his own. He has gone about his business quietly and without fuss. He is as much a victim in this as Hamilton.

But, in making the statement that he did to BBC Radio last night that he did not want to win the title through other people being excluded, Lewis Hamilton showed he has something far greater than a World Championship title. He has class and dignity in bucketfuls. I always hesitate to say things like this, as one never knows what is around the corner, but it looks like a matter of when he becomes a world champion, not if.

Archived