F1: 2007

The story seems to be that Alonso told Ron Dennis in Hungary, who himself blew the whistle. But to perfectly honest, I don't think we'll ever know the full story. All I am sure of is this - if the roles were reversed, the penalty would never have been as severe as this.

In the light of all this, I can't see any way that Alonso can stay at McLaren.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure that if Alonso wants to go, there's no way that McLaren will want an unhappy driver in their ranks. But, if he does want out, where does he go and who do McLaren replace him with?

I can't remember where I heard or read this so take it with a pinch of salt BUT there are suggestions that McLaren might replace Alonso with Jenson Button.

How good would that be!? :lol:

I can't remember where I heard or read this so take it with a pinch of salt BUT there are suggestions that McLaren might replace Alonso with Jenson Button.

How good would that be!? :lol:

I think Heidflied would be the best choice out of the current drivers. But I can see the double British attraction you have.

I could never see Raikkonen and Alonso both are Ferrari. Its too bad that there is not a 3rd team any more than can compete with the big boys.

Looks like the FIA changed the 2008 F1 schedule a bit. But, the USA one is gone, probably for good.

Link: BBC: Changes Made To 2008 F1 Calendar

_44014843_melbourne203.jpg

The 2008 F1 season will get under way in Melbourne

2008 Formula One calendar:

March 16 Australia (Melbourne)

March 23 Malaysia (Sepang)

April 6 Bahrain (Sakhir)

April 27 Spain (Barcelona)

May 11 Turkey (Istanbul)

May 25 Monaco

June 8 Canada*

June 22 France

July 6 Britain (Silverstone)

July 20 Germany (Hockenheim)

Aug 3 Hungary (Hungaroring)

Aug 24 Europe (Valencia)**

Sep 7 Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)

Sep 14 Italy (Monza)

Sep 28 Singapore**

Oct 12 Japan (Fuji)

Oct 19 China (Shanghai)

Nov 2 Brazil (Interlagos)

*Provisional

**subject to circuit approval

2008 Formula One calendar:

March 16 Australia (Melbourne)

March 23 Malaysia (Sepang)

April 6 Bahrain (Sakhir)

April 27 Spain (Barcelona)

May 11 Turkey (Istanbul)

May 25 Monaco

June 8 Canada*

June 22 France

July 6 Britain (Silverstone)

July 20 Germany (Hockenheim)

Aug 3 Hungary (Hungaroring)

Aug 24 Europe (Valencia)**

Sep 7 Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)

Sep 14 Italy (Monza)

Sep 28 Singapore**

Oct 12 Japan (Fuji)

Oct 19 China (Shanghai)

Nov 2 Brazil (Interlagos)

*Provisional

**subject to circuit approval

Oh, yeah. Well, if I do recall somewhat, Germany had 2 F1 races, too. By the way, how long did that kind of scheduling last?

An interesting take on the "spying" case, which I think sums it up very well. Shame McLaren haven't appealed, because the penalty would have been far less with any natural justice.

Was the McLaren spy verdict wrong?

What does this 'kind of inconsistency that infuriates F1 teams' mean then arwebb? Has anybody seen any articles/interviews where other teams have given their views on the subject? It worries me that McClaren have decided not to appeal. If there is no smoking gun, then why not appeal?

As I understood it, what he was referring to was previous incidents of a similar nature when the FIA have not got themselves involved.

As far as McLaren's non-appeal is concerned, I think they're just frightened to death of Ferrari International Assistance making it even worse for them. You're right - there is no smoking gun, but when did that mean natural justice came into play?

As I understood it, what he was referring to was previous incidents of a similar nature when the FIA have not got themselves involved.

As far as McLaren's non-appeal is concerned, I think they're just frightened to death of Ferrari International Assistance making it even worse for them. You're right - there is no smoking gun, but when did that mean natural justice came into play?

I used to be a fan of F1 in the early 90s and I was just starting to get interested again with Hamilton's efforts and Schumachers retirement (couldn't stand that guy - his brother is ok though). I had to go to a Sales and Marketing Seminar early on this year and one of the speakers was a guy from McClaren that used to work for my company - BAE Systems. My company is one of the partners of McClaren (we have worked with them on Carbon Fibre Composites, as well as the British Bob Sleigh team and the Luge team). He was really interesting (I didn't think he would be - at least he woke me up!). I think he is another reason I have paid more attention this year. It's really disappointed me with all this. I want any guilty parties to be punished as I want the sport to be clean, but know that many inconsistencies have occurred for a while now and that all teams are gaining information on each other - Ferrari are no exception to that. I just don't know what to think anymore and can't help thinking that either a) the sport will die a death as everybody will switch off the more this goes on or B) many other F1 teams will finally break away from the FIA and form their own competition...

Yep, I'm only half interested now. This season's pretty much a write-off in many ways. Either the FIA have screwed up as this article suggests, or McLaren have cheated. Either way, what should have been a season that everyone remembered for a rookie driver winning the world championship or coming very close to winning the world championship has become a season that will be remebered only negativley. As I said, I might not bother with this "sport" anymore.

Yep, I'm only half interested now. This season's pretty much a write-off in many ways. Either the FIA have screwed up as this article suggests, or McLaren have cheated. Either way, what should have been a season that everyone remembered for a rookie driver winning the world championship or coming very close to winning the world championship has become a season that will be remebered only negativley. As I said, I might not bother with this "sport" anymore.

I agree with you totally Rob! I just don't know what to make of it. I just wish Moseley and Ecclestone weren't British. They are an embarassment to our nation, not McClaren or Ron Dennis.

Just for curiosity, what's your problem about Italy having two grand prix exactly?

Rei, I don't think it's Italy in particular. Most people had a problem with Germany having practically 2 all these years. I think these days, the 'old and estblished' races in Europe seem to be under threat from newer races like China and Turkey, for example. It's not Italy people hav a problem with, it's the races tat are being lost in Europe because of the newer ones and therefore, if one 'older' (or even newer) country gets more than people reckon is fair, then people will complain... It's nothing personal, I promise you!!!

They've been that for years.

I know that. Hell, when I didn't know who my real parents were cos I was adopted , I used to have a nightmare that Bernie Ecclestone was my real father. That's enough to screw anyone up!!!!! Luckily, I was able to shake that image off and now I know it is definitely not true, so I can sleep better at night!!!

Archived