F1: 2007

Aug 24 Europe (Valencia)**

Today the company in charge of the urban track has said that it will be really difficult to have it ready for August 24 (day of the Beijing 2008 closing ceremony! ).

Here's an image of how the circuit should look like: here!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silverstone plan gets green light

A £25m redevelopment of Silverstone, which could help secure the British Grand Prix's future, has been approved.

Members of the British Racing Drivers' Club, who own the Northamptonshire circuit, backed the ambitious scheme at an extraordinary general meeting.

It includes new grandstands, pit and paddock facilities, a science park, manufacturers' test centre, hotel and conference centre, plus new homes.

BRDC chief Damon Hill said: "It's a great result for British motorsport."

Silverstone's contract to stage the British GP expires in 2009, and F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has insisted on major improvements at the track.

Former F1 champion Hill said: "The BRDC's masterplan is not only important to Silverstone and its continued hosting of the British GP, but also the development of the sport in this country.

"We can only continue to develop exciting young stars like Lewis Hamilton if we have the best facilities at which to nurture such talent.

"Having won the British Grand Prix myself I know how special it is for a driver to win their home race.

"So we would very much like for that opportunity to be there for future generations."

BRDC chairman Robert Brooks added: "This is a clear demonstration of the club's absolute commitment to deliver a world-class venue of which British motor sport enthusiasts can be truly proud."

Link

Hungarian stewards are holding an inquiry into the incident according to the BBC news ticker. Should be interesting to see what they uncover.

In other news:

Spanish double world champion Fernando Alonso should not be blamed for preventing his teammate Lewis Hamilton from making a final lap and possibly clinching the pole position in the time trials for Sunday's Formula One Hungarian Grand Prix, McLaren-Mercedes team boss Ron Dennis said on Saturday.

"The team failed to do what it should have done. Alonso had an extraordinarily long pitstop because our engineer in charge did not give him the go-ahead signal in due time," he said.

Maybe I was too quick to blame Alonso, and I'm sorry to him if that's the case and it was the team.

However, it all seems a bit suspect to me: I didn't realise the driver needed a go-ahead signal from the engineer, that's the first time I've ever heard that in all my years of watching F1. I thought once the lollypop was up, they went. Maybe this story is a cover-up: after all by blaming the team you still have two drivers at the front, but by blaming Alonso you end up with one at the back of the grid after the stewards' inquiry (according to the letter of the law, if Alonso decided to block Hamilton from qualifying, he's relgated to the back).

Either way Hamilton's been badly let down, either by his team or his teammate. And it should be one hell of a race tomorrow.

Apparently the stewards are looking into it. But what is clear is that if Alonso is resorting to that kind of tactic then he fears Hamilton. I like it. Just keep hitting him where it hurts Lewis and rub his nose in it on the track.

Alonso doesn't need these kind of tactics, he has already proved to be the best at the moment in many times... i believe that was the team who keep him stopped and this choice favoured Alonso at the end.

I think Alonso doesn't fear Hamilton, everybody knows that Hamilton uses the Alonso's times and car adjustments information to prepare his car... and was Alonso too the one who made the car improve and compeitive with the Ferrari during the winter training season thank to his knowledgements and tests...

I hope he doesn't use these kind of tactics and it is a team mistake because as I've said I like Alonso, and I don't want to have to change my opinion of him. But, as I've also said, it all looks very suspect to me. The technical details you outlined are all very well and good but it doesn't prove Alonso's necessarily above underhand tactics. Schumacher was the greatest driver of his generation but he was certainly not above cheating.

I hope this does prove to be a storm in a teacup (i.e. a ghastly team mistake), and I also hope Hamilton beats Alonso on the track tomorrow. He's well capable of doing that and Alonso knows it.

Alonso doesn't need these kind of tactics, he has already proved to be the best at the moment in many times... i believe that was the team who keep him stopped and this choice favoured Alonso at the end.

I think Alonso doesn't fear Hamilton, everybody knows that Hamilton uses the Alonso's times and car adjustments information to prepare his car... and was Alonso too the one who made the car improve and compeitive with the Ferrari during the winter training season thank to his knowledgements and tests...

Hamilton's had Alonso rattled all season long. The evidence has been there for all to see. Alonso has driven far more aggressively this year than he has in the last two years. He's had to in order to stay with Hamilton. I do believe that he underestimated Hamilton. I don't think that he expected Hamilton to be anywhere near the level needed to mount a genuine challenge to him for the championship. It's very reminiscent of Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet at Williams in the 80s.

Confirmed on the Beeb

World champion Fernando Alonso has been moved five places down the grid for Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix after an incident in final qualifying.

Lewis Hamilton was handed pole position hours after being delayed by his team-mate in the pit lane, meaning he was too late for his final lap.

McLaren will also not be allowed to score constructors' points.

What a shame for McLarens!!

Hamilton betrayed his team and his boss, Ron Dennis, during the FIA conversations about the matter denying his boss and Fernando Alonso...

I wouldn't be so proud of this victory if i were him...

Archived