Salt Lake 2002 revisited

JoiseyTawlk

I've noticed that too Lexus. Can anyone veryify for me that this is medal tally is correct after Johann Muelegg and the Russian chick were stripped of ALL their medals recently.

1. Norway       13  5   7    

2. Germany     12  16  8

3. USA           10  13  11

4. Canada        7   3   7

5. Russia          5   5   4

6. France         4   5   2

7. Italy            4   4   5

8. Finland         4   2   1

9. Netherlands   3   5   0

10. Austria        3   4  10

11. Switzerland  3   2   6

12. Croatia        3   1   0

13. China          2   2   4

14. Sth Korea    2   2   0

15. Australia      2   0   0

16. Czech Rep.   1   2   0

17. Estonia        1   1   1

18. Sweden       0   2   5

19. Bulgaria       0   1   2

20. Japan          0   1   1

20. Poland         0   1   1

22. Belarus        0   0   1

22. Slovenia      0   0   1

If they were so righteous why do they play a country's national anthem and raise a country's flag during medal ceremonies and why do they list medals won by COUNTRY for each olympiad on their website. This whole situation puzzles me.
  • 3 weeks later...

I kept a lot of the internet video clips from 2002.  A sample:

right click & select "save target as..."

The closing ceremony fireworks: s91928162.onlinehome.us/VIDEOS/firework2high.rm

Torch arrives at Salt Lake City hall:

s91928162.onlinehome.us/VIDEOS/cityhigh.rm

Torch arrives in Utah (Arches National Park) w/ Native American Ceremony:

s91928162.onlinehome.us/VIDEOS/archeshigh.rm

• 3 weeks later...
I kept a lot of the internet video clips from 2002.  A sample:

right click & select "save target as..."

The closing ceremony fireworks: s91928162.onlinehome.us/VIDEOS/firework2high.rm

Torch arrives at Salt Lake City hall:

s91928162.onlinehome.us/VIDEOS/cityhigh.rm

Torch arrives in Utah (Arches National Park) w/ Native American Ceremony:

s91928162.onlinehome.us/VIDEOS/archeshigh.rm

Do you have more

Those are fantastic!

Medal standings by country are not recognized by the IOC so that is why there is no real standard.

Right - just have a look on the Olympic Charter (www.olympic.org). The games and medals are just meant to be handed out to individuals.

And: I recently observed that americans are more concerned in the nationality rankings than spectators of other countries from the past Games (Salt lake 2000 / Sydney 2000) - which is verified by an american research company - but maybe affected cause of a new sort of national (USA) understanding after  11/9/2001.

I was able to experience this great atmoshere in Salt Lake on my own. There were many "USA!"-cheers in the air, but all the Slt Lake-Siders were excellent and friendly hosts. I lived in a house with a Salt Lake family.

The great amount of medals for Germany. I doesn't matter if you count GoldMedal-wise or count them all (w. Siver and Bronze). The fact is: We had a lot !! to celebrate, nearly every evening, in the German House !!

Medal standings by country are not recognized by the IOC so that is why there is no real standard.

Right - just have a look on the Olympic Charter (www.olympic.org). The games and medals are just meant to be handed out to individuals.

And: I recently observed that americans are more concerned in the nationality rankings than spectators of other countries from the past Games (Salt lake 2000 / Sydney 2000) - which is verified by an american research company - but maybe affected cause of a new sort of national (USA) understanding after  11/9/2001.

I was able to experience this great atmoshere in Salt Lake on my own. There were many "USA!"-cheers in the air, but all the Slt Lake-Siders were excellent and friendly hosts. I lived in a house with a Salt Lake family.

The great amount of medals for Germany. I doesn't matter if you count GoldMedal-wise or count them all (w. Siver and Bronze). The fact is: We had a lot !! to celebrate, nearly every evening, in the German House !!

See...that's one of the reasons why I love the Winter Games

The Individual Country Houses!!! Lots of fun...a lot of them weren't exclusive....met athletes, had unique food, had great hospitality, and had a blast

See...that's one of the reasons why I love the Winter Games

The Individual Country Houses!!! Lots of fun...a lot of them weren't exclusive....met athletes, had unique food, had great hospitality, and had a blast

have you been to the "austria house" ?

This was great hospitality ! Great food and beer within athletes and members of the Olympic Family ...

It's much more difficult to get into the national houses during the summer games. Even the German House will be really difficult for me to get into it.

• 2 months later...

Archived