Salt Lake 2002 revisited

JoiseyTawlk

Let's talk about Salt Lake 2002!

SCANDAL QUESTION: One thing that's on my mind was the people who were caught in the scandal. There were about 11 or 12 people involved in the mess, including a Samoan. I wonder who they are, and where are they now?

AUSTRALIA: One shing moment I won't forget is Australia notching its first two gold medals. The first one was a short track medal won by Steven Bradbury of Queensland, won on a freak accident. About 36 or 48 hours later, Alisa Camplin won her first gold in women's aerials. Suddenly, I realized that the Aussies are for real, and that there could be a higher contingent of Aussies at the games in Torino. I'm gonna cheer for them, and also hope that New Zealand gets its first Winter gold. :wwww:

CANADA: I won't forget the fact that it was a North American showdown in the men's and women's ice hockey gold medal matches. I was of mixed emotions when Canada won both golds, and the USA settled for silver. I was disappointed that the US got beat. At the same time, though, I was jubilant, because Canada won it's first men's gold since Oslo 52, and the women finally showed parity against the USA.

CANADA PART 2: No one can forget that ravenous judge known to all as Marie Reine La Gougne. She caused a scandal in the judging, when she manipulated the scores to have Russia win gold, and Canada win silver. Turns out, both nations won gold as a result of the word FIX!

USA: Another fun memory from the Games was the USA grabbing medals in Skeleton and 4-man bobsled. In skeleton, Jim Shea won his skeleton gold medal, a tribute to his late grandfather Jack Shea. In boblsed, even though Germany won the gold, USA I and USA II won silver and bronze, respectively. In women's bobsled, the USA won gold. Two bobsled winners, Vonneta Flowers and Garrett Stevens, became the first African-American medal winners at a Winter Olympics. (Jarome Iginla became the first African-Canadian Winter Olympic winner.)

Any other memories that are fresh in your head? Let's hear it!

Well, what amazed me about Salt Lake 2002 was that the American team really went all out and nearly topped the medal standings in the end. The Americans were one medal short of the top rung, which that was held by the Germans. In fact, Germany defended its top medal status from Nagano 1998.

Well, what amazed me about Salt Lake 2002 was that the American team really went all out and nearly topped the medal standings in the end. The Americans were one medal short of the top rung, which that was held by the Germans. In fact, Germany defended its top medal status from Nagano 1998.

I wouldn't be surprised if Germany is tops in medals again 2 years from now in [the European Enron] city of Torino...CAFffy's gonna be over the moon for years on end. :P

Until VAN2010, that is... :;):  :wwww:  :glare:

Of course, Canada beat its record medal haul again from Nagano 1998 with 17 medals. It will be great, if Canada reaches the 20-medal plateau in Torino 2006.

Of course, Canada beat its record medal haul again from Nagano 1998 with 17 medals. It will be great, if Canada reaches the 20-medal plateau in Torino 2006.

It probably will...and some.

Don't be surprised if Australia hauls in another medal or two. Or three or more. Heck, New Zealand might even make a run and win a medal of its own! Whoa! :P

Don't be surprised if Australia hauls in another medal or two. Or three or more. Heck, New Zealand might even make a run and win a medal of its own! Whoa! :P

Well, New Zealand already has a medal won, from the Winter Olympics. It was from the 1992 Albertville Games in the form of Annelise Coberger in the women's slalom alpine event.

Well, New Zealand already has a medal won, from the Winter Olympics. It was from the 1992 Albertville Games in the form of Annelise Coberger in the women's slalom alpine event.

Again, the Kiwis might strike in Torino, so keep an eye out for them.

Surely I don't want to see any more South Korean flags thrown to the ice. That's one of the last things I want to see happen at the Games. (Bombida andrew-kun) That, and more doping scandels to be eaten up by the media...

I seriously doubt the US will be able to beat or even come close to its medal count from 2002. It'll probably be a long time before we get that number again.

I seriously doubt the US will be able to beat or even come close to its medal count from 2002. It'll probably be a long time before we get that number again.

Never say never JT. This, and mnay others, might be able to surprise even the toughest critics when they least expect it. :;):  :unclesam:  :glare:

well, i hope that happens....but the bad news is that we've lost a lot of really good athletes after SLC'02....and the Canadian athletes aren't performing that well in seperate competitions.

well, i hope that happens....but the bad news is that we've lost a lot of really good athletes after SLC'02....and the Canadian athletes aren't performing that well in seperate competitions.

In other words, we could end up being disappointed, if Vancouver produces a Canadian performance like Calgary 1988 in 2010.

Well, the second anniversary of the Salt Lake Games is coming soon...

I must agree...the look of the Salt Lake Games is by far the best ever with the look..and the buildings

It's hard to blend the look and a logo with the city itself and make it look like it actually belongs there

With Salt Lake this was never a problem

Salt Lake City 2002 was an absolutely breathtaking and excelent WOG....I loved every minute of it :D  :D  :D

I definetely have to agree....Salt Lake from the start to finish was just stunning, and those pictures proof it! :)

Well done Salt Lake 2002! :D  Happy 2nd anniversary! :D

I definetely have to agree....Salt Lake from the start to finish was just stunning, and those pictures proof it! :)

Well done Salt Lake 2002! :D  Happy 2nd anniversary! :D

Even though the second anniversary is next month, Salt Lake was a great Winter Olympics. Good thing that SLOC took the good things from Calgary 1988 to make it happen, for starters.

It would have been great to see Britney perform at the Olympics Medals Plaza...ah well. I don't think the Mormons there would want her to do so anyway.

It would have been great to see Britney perform at the Olympics Medals Plaza...ah well. I don't think the Mormons there would want her to do so anyway.

Well they let Christina Augilera "air-hump" in front of 1 billion tv viewers at the closing ceremony...  :D

Well they let Christina Augilera "air-hump" in front of 1 billion tv viewers at the closing ceremony...  :D

And Britney would have air-humped on topof Madonna, who air-humps on Chrstina... *insert lesbian-style French kiss by Britney and Madonna* :laughlong:

Jacques and Mitt (and even Dubya) would definitely facepalm if that occured... :laugh:

Hmmmm...if Beijing and Vancouver join in, they'll need to find a new name for those games...  :wink: :grinning:  :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived