Technical Questions

Hello Moderator:

Why doesn't Gamesbid.com have a "favicon"?  I'm using Mozilla 1.5 and the website doesn't seem to have one.

You should add one!

GamesBids.com DOES have a favicon and always has.

Click here to view

It doesn't seem to work on Netscape or Mozilla.  I certainly don't see it, and I see every other favicon on other websites using Mozilla.

Have you checked it yourself?

Hello Moderator:

Why doesn't Gamesbid.com have a "favicon"?  I'm using Mozilla 1.5 and the website doesn't seem to have one.

You should add one!

GamesBids.com DOES have a favicon and always has.

Click here to view

It doesn't seem to work on Netscape or Mozilla.  I certainly don't see it, and I see every other favicon on other websites using Mozilla.

Have you checked it yourself?

It seems to work for IE 5.5 and IE 6 for me.  I'm looking at it right now.  

Have you tried it from the main GamesBids.com site or just the forums? - in some cases it may not work in the forums due to the use of CGI scripts.

Tried it right from the top of the site (home page.) and it doesn't come up.  I'm currently testing the Firebird browswer from Mozilla, plus using IE 6 SP1 and Mozilla 1.4.  It doesn't show up on Firebird or Mozilla even though, as I stated, neither brower has trouble with them on any other sites.  

You may want to test it using Mozilla, which is just the unbranded version of Netscape.  You can get the software here http://www.mozilla.org/.  If it doesn't work on Mozilla or Firebird, then chances are that it won't work on Netscape either.

I'm using IE 6.0, I have added the forum in my favorites, and I can see the GB flame logo at the beginning of the link!

It shows up in a link, but it's supposed to show up in Netscape and Mozilla and Firebird in the url at the top.

I can take a screen capture and show you an example if you provide me an email address.  (This applies to Moderator too!).  No special programming is needed at the website. It picks up the image from the standard favicon.ico file.

I'm using IE 6.0, I have added the forum in my favorites, and I can see the GB flame logo at the beginning of the link!

It shows up in a link, but it's supposed to show up in Netscape and Mozilla and Firebird in the url at the top.

I can take a screen capture and show you an example if you provide me an email address.  (This applies to Moderator too!).  No special programming is needed at the website. It picks up the image from the standard favicon.ico file.

It shpws up in the URL line in all of my browsers.  I believe you, no need to send a link.  Perhaps you should clear your cache or something like that?

Ok here's a problem that I have.

I try to change my signature, and write something in Greek.

countdown_m.jpg

1 year before the Games!

Thessaloniki.04

Ασε το φόβο σου

και γίνε οτι θες,

κάνε τα πάντα να γυρίζουν

είναι η σειρά σου

The characters are 243, but when I press OK I receive a message that the signature is too long.

When I use grenglish language it's OK.

Is this an Ikonboard bug or something?

Well, Mr. Moderator - your favicon still doesn't work in Mozilla or Firebird.  I don't get it.  Every other website's does.

Honestly, I'm not sure why.  Since you've raised the issue I've tested it on a variety of machines and browsers and they all seem to work.

In mozzilla, did you bookmark GB before or after you raised the question?  If before you may want to delete it and re-add it.  I added a line of code that could help.

Well, Mr. Moderator - your favicon still doesn't work in Mozilla or Firebird.  I don't get it.  Every other website's does.

Honestly, I'm not sure why.  Since you've raised the issue I've tested it on a variety of machines and browsers and they all seem to work.

In mozzilla, did you bookmark GB before or after you raised the question?  If before you may want to delete it and re-add it.  I added a line of code that could help.

Tried your suggestion and it still didnt' work.  BUT, I posted a request in a Mozilla Firebird forum and this is what I got back.  I hope this resolved the problem, Mr. Moderator....

No, I don't see the icon. It's being served with the wrong content-type:

Headers for http://www.gamesbids.com/favicon.ico

* HTTP/1.1 200 OK

* Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:33:22 GMT

* Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.9 OpenSSL/0.9.6a

* Last-Modified: Tue, 13 May 2003 16:33:18 GMT

* ETag: "1aa4c5-2fe-3ec11e4e"

* Accept-Ranges: bytes

* Content-Length: 766

* Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100

* Connection: Keep-Alive

* Content-Type: text/plain

The webmaster needs to add the following line to .htaccess:

AddType image/x-icon .ico

Let me know once you try it and I can confirm if it works or not.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am a computer moron: please tell me how I can add pictures to my sig?  I get around most things by copying and pasting, but I can't seem to paste pics into my profile...

Thanks   :)

Your Control Panel > Personal Info > Edit Your Profile

In the signature box, do this:

You post [img=(image url including http://)]

Note that you are only allowed 300 characters in your sig.