Technical Questions

Anything that doesn't have jpg or gif or any other image extension on the end seems to be a dynamic image and can't be posted. Like this:

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/80385338....30A760B0D811297

It comes up with this message when you try to post it as an image:

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed

This is nothing new, the board has always done this unfortunatley.

Edited by Rob ♪

• 2 months later...

GBModerator, now that the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games is less than 2 months away, how are you and the others are going to monitor these forums from crashing or from other potential problems, when some of us want to post comments here during the Games?

GBModerator, now that the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games is less than 2 months away, how are you and the others are going to monitor these forums from crashing or from other potential problems, when some of us want to post comments here during the Games?

I remember for Athens, it really only crashed just after the opening ceremony _ it worked fine the rest of the time.

I remember for Athens, it really only crashed just after the opening ceremony _ it worked fine the rest of the time.

We will do our best to prevent that. Since our servers are only designed for everyday traffic - we can't really adjust for traffic that is 100 or 1000 times greater than normal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I've been having problem acessing the site the past few days. Is it due to the high traffic ? Will anything be done before the start of the Beijing games ?

Traffic is much higher than normal due to the upcoming Games. This will probably get worse during the ceremonies and the Games. At times you may get an "access denied" message if traffic exceeds a predetermined server load.

We apologize for this in advance, however we cannot effectively handle traffic spikes during the Games - it would require us to make expensive upgrades to the site for just a short period every couple of years.

Traffic is much higher than normal due to the upcoming Games. This will probably get worse during the ceremonies and the Games. At times you may get an "access denied" message if traffic exceeds a predetermined server load.

We apologize for this in advance, however we cannot effectively handle traffic spikes during the Games - it would require us to make expensive upgrades to the site for just a short period every couple of years.

Will you be making the forums for the opening ceremony only availavle to premium users like in previous olympics?

Something strange happened to me yesterday evening (Central European Summer Time) - I was kicked out of GB and when I wanted to sign in again I got an 404 Not Found Message - well I thought that it is due the heavy traffic and didn't try again - today in the morning I tried again and the 404 Not Found Message appeared again (I have use my bookmark for the GB Forums) - then I tried and tipped in "www.gamesbids.com" and I got the message that such website isn't existing - I went shopping and came back - and again I got the same error message - I called a friend of mine and I tried and he had access - I was very astonished about that and thought - well what can I do - I decided to reboot my PC and my modem and suddenly it worked again...

I think that is very strange...

Something strange happened to me yesterday evening (Central European Summer Time) - I was kicked out of GB and when I wanted to sign in again I got an 404 Not Found Message - well I thought that it is due the heavy traffic and didn't try again - today in the morning I tried again and the 404 Not Found Message appeared again (I have use my bookmark for the GB Forums) - then I tried and tipped in "www.gamesbids.com" and I got the message that such website isn't existing - I went shopping and came back - and again I got the same error message - I called a friend of mine and I tried and he had access - I was very astonished about that and thought - well what can I do - I decided to reboot my PC and my modem and suddenly it worked again...

Yeah, I gotexactly the same yesterday afternoon here (the website not existing), but it was ack yesterday night. I suppose it's the usual GBids games time heavy traffic glitches.

Early Saturday morning (in North America) we moved the site to a new server to contend with the even-higher-than-expected traffic load. It would require a restart of the browser after this was successful to successfully load it.

The good news is that we are now on a much faster server - you should notice a difference.

• 5 weeks later...