Technical Questions

Fair enough mate, sorry to lay into you so much. But it's debates like that that so many of us enjoy _ and for poofs like me it's a chance to answer back the usual God-bothering objections to being gay.

And I still don't think it's up to any of us to close a topic. If we really object to something offensive, we can report it to the GM _ I've done so often enough.

Edited by Sir Roltel

:huh: I believe Premium Members are the only ones who can control the moderation options, and post "official" polls...It's our right as paid up members...

I'm only dreading the day "J" gathers up enough Nigerian Currency pebbels to pay for an annual subscription! :lol:

I don't think seems us premium members can close any thread that we started at our whim.

It's not a power I would feel I'd use ever.

I thought Alexjc was mentioning about WHO can be premium members in the end in his post. I remembered how some of us reacted, when one of non-PM members wanted to become one and GBMod rejected his request.

I thought Alexjc was mentioning about WHO can be premium members in the end in his post. I remembered how some of us reacted, when one of non-PM members wanted to become one and GBMod rejected his request.

Yeah, GM did knock back that person's application, apparently, after asking us first about it. Surely he'd have the sense to do the same for JJ if he ever applied (though I'd imagine JJ would be too cheap to do so).

Edited by Sir Roltel

• 3 weeks later...
We had to disable the photo upload function and delete the pictures since some people were abusing it. You can link to a photo stored elsewhere.

I tried this morning, but the button supplied still onlyy seeems to want to upload pics sitting on the computer _ it wouldn't accept a link to Imageshack.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Rob,

do you think if it is a good thing, that we have an own topic for our "favourites" - I think it would be good that we have a kind of "questionnaire" thread, where the people can fill in e.g. following things:

your favourite Olympic Summer Games?

your favourite Olympic Winter Games?

your favourite Opening Ceremony?

your favourite Closing Ceremony?

your favourite cauldron?

your favourite torch?

your favourite Olympic Stadium?

It should be allowed to answer the question only - perhaps with a very short explanation (when you want)....

Maybe we can discuss in the Premium Membership topic, which question will be part of the questionnaire...

More of a suggestion than a question.

A lot of people complain here at times when lots of pics are posted. And while i don't seeing pics and such here _ after all, wwe all love to see logos, stadium renderings, pics of preps in Beijing, Vancouver etc, it can be a bit annoying when you call up a thread, realise there's nothing of interest in it to you, but you have to waste time waiting for all pics to ooad before you can click out again.

I notice on SkyscraperCity, however, that they have designated forums and threads for "Picture Galleries". Maybe the same could work okay here _ a dedicated forum area where everyone can post pics, and which could be linked to off discusssion threads in other forums.

More of a suggestion than a question.

A lot of people complain here at times when lots of pics are posted. And while i don't seeing pics and such here _ after all, wwe all love to see logos, stadium renderings, pics of preps in Beijing, Vancouver etc, it can be a bit annoying when you call up a thread, realise there's nothing of interest in it to you, but you have to waste time waiting for all pics to ooad before you can click out again.

I notice on SkyscraperCity, however, that they have designated forums and threads for "Picture Galleries". Maybe the same could work okay here _ a dedicated forum area where everyone can post pics, and which could be linked to off discusssion threads in other forums.

Hmm... a very good idea sir, so people with limited bandwith -like me :(- can skip that thread... :D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently having trouble loading the web pages on this site.Sometimes they go agonizingly slowly and can take up to a minute or more before they load.Sometimes they just freeze and I keep having to hit my refresh button to get things moving,not always with success.For instance,it's just taken about 30 seconds to get into this particular Forum and when I tried to make a post a few minutes ago,it threw me out altogether although thankfully it allowed me to save the text first!

I've experienced trouble with this website in the past but in a different form.I've tried adjusting my browser to no avail but it only seems to be this website that gives me any trouble so I'm not convinced it is the browser.Is it just a problem for AOL subscribers like me? Is anybody else experiencing problems like this?

Any advice anyone can give me will be gratefully accepted!

(PS. I wonder how long it will take me to post THIS?).

I'm currently having trouble loading the web pages on this site.Sometimes they go agonizingly slowly and can take up to a minute or more before they load.Sometimes they just freeze and I keep having to hit my refresh button to get things moving,not always with success.For instance,it's just taken about 30 seconds to get into this particular Forum and when I tried to make a post a few minutes ago,it threw me out altogether although thankfully it allowed me to save the text first!

I've experienced trouble with this website in the past but in a different form.I've tried adjusting my browser to no avail but it only seems to be this website that gives me any trouble so I'm not convinced it is the browser.Is it just a problem for AOL subscribers like me? Is anybody else experiencing problems like this?

Any advice anyone can give me will be gratefully accepted!

(PS. I wonder how long it will take me to post THIS?).

The only advice I can give here from experience is to increase you RAM from it present size to a larger one.

I've been having exactly the same trouble as Mainad over the last few days. It's not my connection as other sites load perfectly and fast too. It's only gamesbids that takes so long. I have actually just had to give up on one post as it took several attempts before it was finally rejected.

Can you offer any help on why this would be Moderator?

Could we have a response please Moderator?

The site has become so slow for me that it is almost impossible to live with. I have attempted to post in the London 2012 thread so many times but it just slow up to the point that you wait 10 minutes for anything to happen.

I'm not sure I can help - it doesn't seem to be a problem for a large majority of the users. Perhaps its a routing problem over the Internet, that would depend on your geographical location vs. the location of our servers.

You can do a tracert (if you're familiar with this technique) to fid where on the net the slowdown may be.

If I discover some other information I will let you know.

FYI - there is a low-fi version of this site - the link is at the bottom of the page.

Update - I just did a tracert to your ISP. It is a very slow route and it in fact timed out on the AOL server. This seems to be an AOL problem.

You can try the same thing by going to a Windows "Command Prompt" (usually start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt or Start->Run-> and type "cmd" without quotes in the space.

One in the black command prompt window type tracert www.gamesbids.com - you should see each server that gets accessed and how long it takes.

Does that really solve the problem? No!

This is among commands that never really some problem but a tell about condition already known.