Technical Questions

Yes server load is very high. We are in "Premium Mode", that means only Premium Members may post until further notice.

I couldn't even log on as a Premium member, much less post.

Okay, I understand the load problems, but it was a tad disappointing not to be on here for the big announcement.

Yeah, Tanaka actually PM'd me about this yesterday and i thought it sounded srange. And now today I've noticed a few other non premium members mention they can't start threads. Is this a new policy to encourage people onto PM membership, or a temporary glitch?

Ok here is the message I received:

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, you do not have permission to start a topic in this forum

thank you moderator.. :D

Ok here is the message I received:

Board Message

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, you do not have permission to start a topic in this forum

thank you moderator.. :D

Please include the date and time of the attempt, as well as the forum name.

GBModerator, now that the 2014 race is over, it will be possible to keep the "JACA 2007 and EXPO ZARAGOZA 2008" thread located in "Eliminated 2014 Olympic Winter Games Bids" in other adequate thread?

Thanks in ahead!

When we reorganize for 2016 we will try to preserve all posts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

:unsure: Moderator,

We have a "member" in the Commonwealth Games Threads called "James" who is making rather nasty remarks and personal threats against other members when this person is challenged in debates.

"James" has only shown up since the start of this month and has proceeded to offend many people already. I'm wondering if he is and alter ego of an established member?

Have a look.

oh c'mon alexjc, james is a funny thing in this thread... :D, he just a 15 years old brat who think that he is a mature enough, moderator please let james go, I think if we are mature enough, we don't need to take james's post... just let him posting, I feel funny read all his post, even when he tried to attack me :D

:unsure: Moderator,

We have a "member" in the Commonwealth Games Threads called "James" who is making rather nasty remarks and personal threats against other members when this person is challenged in debates.

"James" has only shown up since the start of this month and has proceeded to offend many people already. I'm wondering if he is and alter ego of an established member?

Have a look.

What is it with your conspiracy theories? First Gorgu, who you insist was an alter-ego, even though there was nothing in his posts to suggest he was anything other than he seemed _ a Scot who was pissed of like the rest of us with JJ, and now james, who is annoying, but again doesn't seem to be anything but some young Nigerian with a chip on his shoulder who thinks everyone is insulting his country (and c'mon, most of us can get riled up when we feel our nationalities are under attack). Chill out!

What is it with your conspiracy theories? First Gorgu, who you insist was an alter-ego, even though there was nothing in his posts to suggest he was anything other than he seemed _ a Scot who was pissed of like the rest of us with JJ, and now james, who is annoying, but again doesn't seem to be anything but some young Nigerian with a chip on his shoulder who thinks everyone is insulting his country (and c'mon, most of us can get riled up when we feel our nationalities are under attack). Chill out!

They're not the same person, you're right. James is certainly not JJ imho and Gorgu, as I've already pointed out, is not Arwebb as Gorgu encountered JJ on skyscraper city before finding him on here (do a google search).

The only newbie who I suspect has an alter-ego is the guy posting in the Vancouver forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I always thought that it was only the mod who could close a thread, but I just noticed that the person who starts a thread also has the power to close it.

I'm not sure if I like that. I don't think that just because someone starts a topic, they should be able to close debate when they feel like it (yes, alexjc, that's you _ why on earth close the gay thread? Yes, it was heated, but there's been a lot worse and a lot of the arguments were constructive). It was certainly generating more participation than most, and was a hot topic.

Personally, i think GM should be the only one to close topics, as a result of complaints and/or judgement.

Edited by Sir Roltel

Neither did I, till Alexjc decided to unilaterally close the gay survey thread. Then I checked and realised I could do the same on any thread I'd started. If you call up a thread that you've started, at the bottom is a button labelled "moderating options" that scrolls down to give you a "close thread" option.

The problem I have with that is what gives anyone the right to decide when a thread should be closed? Basically it means if you start a thread, but don't like any of the answers you get, you can just decide to close all discussion to censor anything you don't like. Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I believe if you start a topic, then it's out of control where and how it progresses. If it moves off topic, so be it, these discussions are organic things that develop a life of their own. The only reason to close a thread would be if it gets offensive or personally abusive _ and in that case it's up to the mod to do that on the basis of complaints received or his own judgement.

I know the gay thread sailed pretty close to the wind, but nevertheless it was getting a high participation. I may not have liked some of the views expressed in it from james in particular, but I was enjoying debating him. Frankly, I don't think it was Alexjc's call to make.

Edited by Sir Roltel

I was having a good debate with James in that thread Alex! His views may be distasteful but preventing us from arguing with him is stupid; hes not a troll by any means and that thread is one of the first in which anyone has been able to engage with him properly. So thanks Alex, thanks a lot.

I'm very tempted to open a 'Part II' in the same forum but I know some people will take that the wrong way (think I'm trying to cause trouble or encourage homophobic views) and to be frank I think I've probably said most of what I have to say in the original thread. But if anyone else wants to, go ahead.

I've said what I have to say, and all I'm going to do now is rethink Alex's star rating...

I'm slightly miffed.

:huh:Well that's me well and truly told off!! :huh:

I will restart it now.

BUT what miffed me was how out of control the topic gets when a certain somebody really winds up.

This was NOT suppose to be a pro v anti Gay topic...

It was suppose to be a basic poll.

sadly when that "somebody" gets a hold of a topic, it becomes a grandstand event for his immature mind,...and we feed off it!