General Question/Comments

GBModerator

GB Moderator,

Question for you - has the site ever considered having a live chat portion to the site in addition to the forums we have now?   I think it would be nice for all the members to be able to have a great dialogue simultaneously via instant chat.   If this has been proposed in the past, I apologize but have not seen this mentioned before.   Thanks.

Yes.  We feel that the tools out there already (AOL, MSN, etc.) are sufficient and it wouldn't make sense for us to maintain that kind of environment.

Moderation of this would be difficult... all the more reason to have it.... so we can all abuse each other LIVE :wwww:  :wwww:

:glare:

• 2 weeks later...

Beijing 2008 Summer Games

The 2008 Summer Games will be in Beijing China.  Keep up-to-date here.

Vancouver 2010 Winter Games

The 2010 Winter Games will be in Vancouver Canada.  Keep up-to-date here.

i've noticed this for quite awhile....there should be commas between the city and the nation. this is on the forum main page.

Beijing 2008 Summer Games

The 2008 Summer Games will be in Beijing China.  Keep up-to-date here.

Vancouver 2010 Winter Games

The 2010 Winter Games will be in Vancouver Canada.  Keep up-to-date here.

i've noticed this for quite awhile....there should be commas between the city and the nation. this is on the forum main page.

???  ???  ???  ???  ???  

GB Moderator,  I am majoring in History, Secondary Education,  and my concentration is in American History. I found a course called "US Military History"  and its taught by the Military Science Department here. I asked the History Department if this would count as one of my required American History courses and they said no. There reasoning was that the US Military History Course cannot be counted because its taught by the Military Science Department and not the History Department.  I personally am a little irritated with their decision and reasoning.

Do you agree with the History Departments decision to not let the US Military History course be counted as one of my required American History courses in my American History concentration?

GBMOd, Im really sorry... but I'm going to have to complain about the reporting on GB news lately.

While I usually think this website is great, I really thyink that in the past week there has been some very shoddy, incorrect and misleading journalism.

Another member complained before about inaccurate quoting of the Bid Report from the  IOC, but I think it is really serious when you say the IOC called the London Underground  "obsolete".

First, the quote is misleading by omitting the "often" before it -  they actually used the words "often obsolete".

More importantly.  THE IOC DID NOT SAY THAT AT ALL! They said the Southern commuter rail service was "often obsolete", but they praised the London Underground for being one of the most extensive in the world and said London had one of the most intergrated public transport systems in the world.

I am not trying to say there was no criticism, but the rail network has nothing to do with the 2012 bid and the very effective London Underground is VERY important, and it waS PRAISED, NOT CONDEMNED.

There are other instances of bad, rushed reporting, which I can show you if you like.  I hope you reply and I would really like to see a correction issued, or at leat the article changed to stop that big mistake.

Please reply,

BooBoo4

GBMOd, Im really sorry... but I'm going to have to complain about the reporting on GB news lately.

While I usually think this website is great, I really thyink that in the past week there has been some very shoddy, incorrect and misleading journalism.

Another member complained before about inaccurate quoting of the Bid Report from the  IOC, but I think it is really serious when you say the IOC called the London Underground  "obsolete".

First, the quote is misleading by omitting the "often" before it -  they actually used the words "often obsolete".

More importantly.  THE IOC DID NOT SAY THAT AT ALL! They said the Southern commuter rail service was "often obsolete", but they praised the London Underground for being one of the most extensive in the world and said London had one of the most intergrated public transport systems in the world.

I am not trying to say there was no criticism, but the rail network has nothing to do with the 2012 bid and the very effective London Underground is VERY important, and it waS PRAISED, NOT CONDEMNED.

There are other instances of bad, rushed reporting, which I can show you if you like.  I hope you reply and I would really like to see a correction issued, or at leat the article changed to stop that big mistake.

Please reply,

BooBoo4

Booboo4. I’m a London 2012 supporter myself, but I think this is just the sort of thing we’ve come to expect from the media. From what I know, GBmod gets his stories chiefly from other news sources. Unless he tamperers with the stories, it is nothing to do with GB.com.

Though yes, I see some bias in these stories…

Please reply,

BooBoo4

From IOC evaluation report...

London has one of the world’s most extensive rail and underground systems. The

main transport infrastructure ratio of London is one of the highest amongst Applicant

Cities. Nevertheless, rail public transport is often obsolete and considerable

investments must be made to upgrade the existing system in terms of capacity and

safety. Urban expressways and main arterial road facilities lack the capacity to

provide reasonable travel times and speeds.

This was included in the article because it described how London was dealing with the comment - by taking people on the system.  It would have been silly to say that "London is taking inspectors on the underground..." and then leave out the reason.  Then Paris supporter would be writing emails about how we're pro-London and against Paris.

Please reply,

BooBoo4

From IOC evaluation report...

London has one of the world’s most extensive rail and underground systems. The

main transport infrastructure ratio of London is one of the highest amongst Applicant

Cities. Nevertheless, rail public transport is often obsolete and considerable

investments must be made to upgrade the existing system in terms of capacity and

safety. Urban expressways and main arterial road facilities lack the capacity to

provide reasonable travel times and speeds.

This was included in the article because it described how London was dealing with the comment - by taking people on the system.  It would have been silly to say that "London is taking inspectors on the underground..." and then leave out the reason.  Then Paris supporter would be writing emails about how we're pro-London and against Paris.

GBMOderator, I uderstand it's difficult for gamesbids to please eerybody all of the time, and i think that lately there has been more effort to combat bias, but BooBoo has a point.

The quote you show says "rail public transport", but the London Underground does not fall under that description. The rail network is separate to the Tube.  The tube is more important to the bid, and it was praised, not criticised.

A correct quote about the rail system would be "often obsolete". To remove the "often" changes the meaning and is misleading.

Again, i know it must be difficult and I'm not really complaining - Just thought I'd help out.

GBMod... Does this forum ever change...?... the only change I’ve seen in the past 6 months is the Premium Members getting their name in red :oh: .

Could we see some colour scheme changes in the near future? Is it to much to ask to switch to the preferred Veranda font...Would i be over stepping the line to suggest a rainbow banner.... Is it to humble to ask for a Olympic smiley... Would you be pissed if all topics deserved a dinosaur mark next to them... Can it be said that Badminton should be the total emphasis of this forum... Will I win the lottery....?

i expect answers to these...

PS: Rainbow banner... brings back the 70's.... Speaking of, why not change the top forum banner to suit our monthly avatar "theme"

Brand new to this site! Like many thousands of others, I will be looking for inexpensive housing near the Olympic Stadium in Beijing, China. (I am a summer-only spectator). Which forum would I post on for housing requests?

Brand new to this site! Like many thousands of others, I will be looking for inexpensive housing near the Olympic Stadium in Beijing, China. (I am a summer-only spectator). Which forum would I post on for housing requests?

Try the Beijing forum.

• 3 weeks later...

GB Moderator, let me be the very first to wish you and yours all the best for the season ( whatever religion you are) and I do hope that your new year will be filled with peace and goodwill and that you will continue to do the fine job you have done in 2004...... Have a wonderful and prosperous 2005.

Form kerrybymoonlight

i dont know if this has been mentioned yet, but perhaps you could add a 'New Members Forum' where people can post a hi message, other members will welcome them, probaly this will make the new members post more (if there know that there are wanted). it could also be a place to ask members how there found the forum.

views?

:)

HELP!

I try to post an answer in Athens 2004 forums but I get:

Sorry, you do not have permission to reply to that topic

You are currently logged in as PYRROS2004

What's wrong?

I have the same problem