General Question/Comments

GBModerator

GBModerator... this is only a suggestion that you can use if you want to save space for the 2012 forum... only an idea...

I thought maybe we could set it up this way until the short list since I noticed that your forum section has become so overcroweded...

~General 2012

~West Europe 2012: London, Paris, and Madrid

~East Europe 2012: Moscow, Istanbul, and Leizpig

~Americas 2012: New York, Rio, and Havana

That way it is back to normal amount... But only if you wanted to... I just suggested these as ideas.

GBModerator... this is only a suggestion that you can use if you want to save space for the 2012 forum... only an idea...

I thought maybe we could set it up this way until the short list since I noticed that your forum section has become so overcroweded...

~General 2012

~West Europe 2012: London, Paris, and Madrid

~East Europe 2012: Moscow, Istanbul, and Leizpig

~Americas 2012: New York, Rio, and Havana

That way it is back to normal amount... But only if you wanted to... I just suggested these as ideas.

That's a very good idea....btw, how do you make pdf files?

GBModerator, with the "Olympic And Bid Collectibles" sub-forum, what do you mean by "NO COMMERCIAL POSTS"? Call be a computer idiot, but could you give me an example of this situation?

GBModerator, with the "Olympic And Bid Collectibles" sub-forum, what do you mean by "NO COMMERCIAL POSTS"? Call be a computer idiot, but could you give me an example of this situation?

It means no advertising.  Basically, it's alright to trade stuff or sell it personally (i.e. from member-to-member) but any posts from people who represent companies or organizations selling stuff and they are advertising their stuff, is forbidden.

• 2 weeks later...
GB Moderator:

Do you trawl all of the bidding countries media for news stories? It seems to me that London is suffering a disproportionate amount of negative attention and it occured to me that this may be because:

(a) the bid is genuinely ill-concieved

(B) the news articles are in English and therefore more easily understood and readily available for posting.

© the news stories are more readily available on the web, coming from large established national news organistaions.

(d) the overtly negative British press, which are well known for being the most aggressive media organistaions in the World.

(e) perhaps your personal bias against London/UK?

Needless to say, I suspect (B), © and (d) are quite probably a factor, which I think is putting London at a disadvantage, especially as far as this site is concerned. It leaves me and probably other London supporters on this forum (perhaps they may like to comment) feeling totally demoralised. I'm not saying not  to post such artciles, but there should be at least an attempt at presenting a more balanced view of the media response to the other bids.

In "Bid Focus" The number of news stories about the various cities is very heavily skewed towards news agencies and  sources from the UK / USA and Canada. 21 pages are devoted to NYC stories and 16 pages are devoted to London. Meanwhile Madrid and Leipzig have 10 pages of articles, Paris 9, Moscow 5 and Rio 3. I find it difficult to beleive that the french press has been scrutinsed for stories and commentary about the Paris bid to the same extent as say NYC and London. In fact I've noticed that most of the stories in the Paris Bid Focus are actually stories about London where Paris is mentaioned, rather than actually anything concrete about the paris bid. This could be to the disadvantage of the Paris, madrid bids etc, but as we have seen it has also led to a situation where London is being constantly hammered by the British press in typical fashion and presenting IMO, a very distorted picture of the merits and atitude towards the London bid on GamesBids.com, when compared to other bids.

Just something for you to ponder while I quietly pop my next prozac.  :;):

I thought we covered this in another thread?

Anyhow, there are several things to comment on, especially the language barrier.  Of course, we tend to have more English language items available to us but we do use several foreign language publications.  Much of our news comes directly from bids themselves.

The "BidFocus" is simply a search for the mention of a particular bid in an article, it's not meant to look for articles specifically about a bid.

New York has so many pages mostly because it has been bidding at some level since 2000.  Most of the other bids joined much later.  London has been very vocal about its bid - even though it wasn't official until a couple of months ago - for quite some time.

And, as you mentioned, the aggressive British press has extracted more news about London in comparison to other cities.

Hopefully as time goes on, we'll build better relationships with the bids and get more inside information and press releases.  Remember, it's still very early and most bids don't have established PR firms yet.

If you look at our experience with 2010, we communicated with each bid regularly - regardless of language barrier - but that was only after shortlisting.

GB Moderator:

Do you trawl all of the bidding countries media for news stories? It seems to me that London is suffering a disproportionate amount of negative attention and it occured to me that this may be because:

(a) the bid is genuinely ill-concieved

(B) the news articles are in English and therefore more easily understood and readily available for posting.

© the news stories are more readily available on the web, coming from large established national news organistaions.

(d) the overtly negative British press, which are well known for being the most aggressive media organistaions in the World.

(e) perhaps your personal bias against London/UK?

Needless to say, I suspect (B), © and (d) are quite probably a factor, which I think is putting London at a disadvantage, especially as far as this site is concerned. It leaves me and probably other London supporters on this forum (perhaps they may like to comment) feeling totally demoralised. I'm not saying not  to post such artciles, but there should be at least an attempt at presenting a more balanced view of the media response to the other bids.

In "Bid Focus" The number of news stories about the various cities is very heavily skewed towards news agencies and  sources from the UK / USA and Canada. 21 pages are devoted to NYC stories and 16 pages are devoted to London. Meanwhile Madrid and Leipzig have 10 pages of articles, Paris 9, Moscow 5 and Rio 3. I find it difficult to beleive that the french press has been scrutinsed for stories and commentary about the Paris bid to the same extent as say NYC and London. In fact I've noticed that most of the stories in the Paris Bid Focus are actually stories about London where Paris is mentaioned, rather than actually anything concrete about the paris bid. This could be to the disadvantage of the Paris, madrid bids etc, but as we have seen it has also led to a situation where London is being constantly hammered by the British press in typical fashion and presenting IMO, a very distorted picture of the merits and atitude towards the London bid on GamesBids.com, when compared to other bids.

Just something for you to ponder while I quietly pop my next prozac.  :;):

I thought we covered this in another thread?

Anyhow, there are several things to comment on, especially the language barrier.  Of course, we tend to have more English language items available to us but we do use several foreign language publications.  Much of our news comes directly from bids themselves.

The "BidFocus" is simply a search for the mention of a particular bid in an article, it's not meant to look for articles specifically about a bid.

New York has so many pages mostly because it has been bidding at some level since 2000.  Most of the other bids joined much later.  London has been very vocal about its bid - even though it wasn't official until a couple of months ago - for quite some time.

And, as you mentioned, the aggressive British press has extracted more news about London in comparison to other cities.

Hopefully as time goes on, we'll build better relationships with the bids and get more inside information and press releases.  Remember, it's still very early and most bids don't have established PR firms yet.

If you look at our experience with 2010, we communicated with each bid regularly - regardless of language barrier - but that was only after shortlisting.

Thansk for the info ....... hopefully we'll see some interesting and objective reporting about the other bids as time goes on.....although I really think there has been genuine lack of information about the paris bid, considering its high profile launch..... which I find a bit strange. Perhaps the French press are not that interested at this stage?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi GB Moderator. While in the Off-Topic forum I noticed this in your message about the rules of the forum:

The moderator may delete any post, without notice, if any these rules are broken and the poster may receive a "warming". Your assistance is appreciated.

LOL :wink:

GB Mod: I'm noticing that the pop-ups in the last few days are becoming REALLY annoying. Whereas before they would just pop up and you could get rid of them.... now they seem to be continually popping up. I realise we need them to keep the site viable.... but do they have to be so aggressive?

Do you have any association or endorse the GOC - Gamesbids Observation Committee?

The thing is that the "GamesBids Observation Committee" could hurt GamesBids international Olympic business....GamesBids, if it endorses it, will have absolutely no authority within it, which means that this GOC could embaress GamesBids.

You still have time to sue them, which would solve your financial problems. :P  :D  :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I detected this for quite a well but noticed nobody hasn't said anything about it.

Under Vancouver 2010 Winter Games it says below "The 2010 Winer Games will be in Vancouver Canada.  Keep up-to-date here."

Surprised nobody especially mr. x didn't noticed this misspelling of Winter lol.

I detected this for quite a well but noticed nobody hasn't said anything about it.

Under Vancouver 2010 Winter Games it says below "The 2010 Winer Games will be in Vancouver Canada.  Keep up-to-date here."

Surprised nobody especially mr. x didn't noticed this misspelling of Winter lol.

LOL, Mr.X is not known for his spelling!

And if your reading this Mr.X, you know I mean that in the nicest way possible! :laughlong: :P

• 1 month later...

LOL, Mr.X is not known for his spelling!

And if your reading this Mr.X, you know I mean that in the nicest way possible! :laughlong: :P

I knew that, but I didn't bother correcting the moderator. It happened once during the 2010 bid process when the forums were updated.

Anyway, what's up with everything in the forums being backwards!!! :help:  :ghostface:  :shocked:  If the moderator thinks this is more efficient, it isn't...

Anyway, what's up with everything in the forums being backwards!!! :help:  :ghostface:  :shocked:  If the moderator thinks this is more efficient, it isn't...

I agree with Mr. x; the whole backwards thing is very confusing, especially when posts are backwards on the same page- first post at bottom. Please, mr moderator, can you put it back? we are peculiar folk here, and resistant to change ...  hehe

Also , when will the BidIndex for 2012 be up and running; the candidate cities have been known for ages now and there might not be a shortlist, anyway. thanks in advance.   :P  :D

• 2 weeks later...

GB Moderator, is it possible to move all the fantasy bid topics into the gamesbids EVENTS and Meetings folder because it's starting to get annoying how there are multiple posts of the fantasy bids in the 2012 forum, future bid forum, and general off topic forum.

Thanx~

GB Moderator, is it possible to move all the fantasy bid topics into the gamesbids EVENTS and Meetings folder because it's starting to get annoying how there are multiple posts of the fantasy bids in the 2012 forum, future bid forum, and general off topic forum.

Thanx~

thank you for asking, andrew, as i was just about to ask.  i got a bit angry already and only after the fact figured i could appeal to some help.

I AM SORRY, MAYBE I SHOULD KNOW OR THIS QUESTION IS, FOR SOME REASON UNBEKNOWNST TO ME, STUPID.  EITHER WAY, I DON'T CARE.  WILL SOMEONE JUST TELL ME;

:angry: WHEN DOES BIDINDEX 2012 START?! :angry:

Thank you. :D

BidIndex will launch as soon as there is enough information available to fill our formula.  We are almost there and will probably publish it in January - shortly before the min bid-books are released.