General Question/Comments

GBModerator

Rolilau and CAF, how could you upgrade to premium membership? Did you provide a US address? I am stuck, because it only accepts US states, zip codes & phone no.'s, and it won't proceed if I leave these blank either :(

GBMod, don't I qualify for a free premium membership? I mean, when you introduced it yesterday, it was my 30th birthday, and I contributed at least part of the idea (only members above a certain level should be able to start polls, see my post on the previous page). Not that I don't think it's not worth 10 $$, I mean I just tried  :D

I just used the link and click on "subscripe" and used my PayPal form with my German address.

I tried again, and noticed a "outside the US" link, that I missed last time. It is, a bit unlogically, at the top of the form and not with the address details.

I'll try again.

I think in the field where you should fill in the US-state is a item with outside USA, too.

No, just checked again, there isn't.

I tried again, and noticed a "outside the US" link, that I missed last time. It is, a bit unlogically, at the top of the form and not with the address details.

I'll try again.

I think in the field where you should fill in the US-state is a item with outside USA, too.

No, just checked again, there isn't.

Sorry Attila, I used PayPal for ebay before so PayPal has already my address and I didn´t need to fill out a paper

GBModerator, the population figure quoted for Paris in the 2012 Bid Section of the opening page is for the Isle de France, not Paris. Paris' population is around 2 million.  :)

Paris Population

Paris population 2

If you are going to use the Metropolitain figure for Paris then you should do the same for all of the bid cities. London's metro figure is 11.5 million.

London Metro Population

Please post your questions here

Did Karachi, Pakistan ever made a bid for the Winter games, if so how would it had happen ? ???

It is very astonishing, but Karachi bid in 1960 for the Winter Games.

The ballots:

1. ballot:

Squaw Valley 30

Innsbruck 24

Garmisch-Partenkirchen 5

Sankt Moritz 3

Karachi 0

2. ballot:

Squaw Valley 32

Innsbruck 30

GB Moderator.

I like polls and getting involved in the discussion on polls, but they do seem to get out of control sometimes and block up forums. Would it be possible to create a forum that is just for polls, so it keeps polls in other forums to a minimal?

GB Moderator.

I like polls and getting involved in the discussion on polls, but they do seem to get out of control sometimes and block up forums. Would it be possible to create a forum that is just for polls, so it keeps polls in other forums to a minimal?

I'm totally in support of that....the whole Off Topic Forum has virtually been obilterated by a mass of polls. If I wanted to vote every other day, I'd move to Switzerland!  ???

GB Moderator.

Since we have just introduced Premium Memberships - we'll see how things go.  Now only Premium Members can post polls so that should reduce them.  The main reason we don't have an all-poll forum is that we'd have to break that down further into more poll forums because some may be interested in Olympic polls while others may want off-topic polls.  PLUS - it make moderation trickier  :laugh:

Posts in the off-topic forum get deleted between 10 to 30 days after the last reply.  So if a poll becomes stale it will get deleted.  That doesn't apply to the other forums.  As the moderator I can always delete polls if I feel they become unweildy.

Can anyone help?

I upgraded a couple of days ago my Windows 98 to XP pro. The problem is that when I try to log in, I write my username and password, and then it just sticks and doesn't do anything?

I write this msg from work.

Sorry for that. I have been using XP Pro for some 18 months now, and I never had such problems...

(I used W98 too, before)

Did you do a "clean install" or have just installed WXP upon W98? I always recommend to do a clean install. In case you didn't you could try to reinstall, but first format your HDD. But this is just a wild guess, I do not know if this has anything to do with your problem.

Perhaps you should try this first: it could have something to do with your internet security settings. Try adjusting them, and see if you can eliminate the problem.

Is there something wrong with the General 2010 Bid Discussion fourm?

everytime I try to go in there to post a message it gives me a "404 Error" it has happened with me at 2 different comupters at two different times! So I don't think thats its me!

everytime I try to go in there to post a message it gives me a "404 Error" it has happened with me at 2 different comupters at two different times! So I don't think thats its me!

There was some damage done to the database during our traffic spike yesterday.  Some topics don't work but we are trying to fix it.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

There was some damage done to the database during our traffic spike yesterday.  Some topics don't work but we are trying to fix it.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

It doesn't mean that there would be nothing in each General 2010 forum topics right?

...and since the forum doesn't work, I want to ask you here. When will the General 2010 forum, Pyeongchang 2010 forum, and Salzburg 2010 forum be deleted and the Vancouver 2010 bid forum changing into the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games forum?...and can you please not delete anything inside the existing Vancouver 2010 forum and leave it all there inside the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games forum please?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there Moderator.

I was going through some of the old polls, and noticed the story about Vancouver not releasing their mini bid book at first.  You made the point that the 2006 candidates did ot release thier bid books online until after the election.  Now obviously Torino's is online - but what other cities posted thier bid books? Do you know?  I'm curious to know so I cant start nagging everyone on the forums for them if they've go them!