General Question/Comments

GBModerator

• 11 months later...

Do you know when Vancouver's technical evaluation committee visit is?

GBModerator:  The evaluation visit wil be scheduled between February 15 to March 15, 2003.  No specific dates have been set.

• 2 weeks later...

How does one become a "premium member"?  :D

Why do you become "member" (instead of silver, gold, flag bearer etc.) after 1 year, of you're already in the "members" group anyway? I personally would consider it a setback to become a "member" after having been a "flag bearer" previously. Apart form that I think using the term "members" in both the group categories and title categories is confusing.

How many stars can a member acquire? Do you get a fifth at 5000 posts? And what title comes with that? "torch bearer"?  :D

In the next month-or-so we will be doing an upgrade to the forums (which we are testing now).  Things will work a bit differently then.

• 3 weeks later...

GBmoderator, I have a question regarding the 2010 Winter Olympic Bid. My question is, why does Salzburg pay their $500,000 (US) fee in January, while Vancouver and Pyeongchang had to pay on October 31? I thought the due date for all bidding cities was October 31 according to the Gamebids timeline... What happened?

Also, one more question...When do you update the Bid Index? Like how often? Thanks!

GBModerator:  Where did you get information about Salzburg paying in January?  From what I know - they had the same Oct. 31 deadline but perhaps you have other information.  Please let me know where you found this.

BidIndex is updated as required, which means it is updated when there is new information that would cause it to change (i.e. new public opinion poll, new support, or some change in the plans).

GBModerator:  Where did you get information about Salzburg paying in January?  From what I know - they had the same Oct. 31 deadline but perhaps you have other information.  Please let me know where you found this.
I got this information from Guardian(member) and this is the link he gave to me... According to the  article it states that Salzburg as well as the other candidate cities have until January 10, 2003 to give their candidature file (I'm not sure if candidature file means to include the $500,000 fee...) COuld you clarify on this please? But even if the deadline was October 31, why hasn't Salzburg payed their fees yet?

ARTICLE

The three remaining Candidate Cities have until 10 January 2003 to submit their candidature file to the IOC. The candidature files will be analysed in detail by the IOC Evaluation Commission, which will also make inspections of the Candidate Cities, before issuing a report in May 2003.

The final decision on the host city for the XXI Olympic Winter Games will be made by the full IOC membership during the 115th IOC Session in Prague in July 2003.

Olympic Article (Look at the bottom)

GBModerator:  The candidature file is what we call the "bid book".  All three cities must submit the bid books by Jan. 10.  As far as I know all three candidates have submitted the $500,000.

Hello!

It seems as if we have a guy that's using three different accounts and one guy that is tracking him down and posting complaints on each successive message. It's quite distracting on all of our posts. Can you please resolve this from both sides if possible?

Thanks

GB Moderator:

Can you post a link or name the thread and member names where this is happening?  I'm not sure what you mean.

Hello!

It seems as if we have a guy that's using three different accounts and one guy that is tracking him down and posting complaints on each successive message. It's quite distracting on all of our posts. Can you please resolve this from both sides if possible?

Thanks

GB Moderator:

Can you post a link or name the thread and member names where this is happening?  I'm not sure what you mean.

I would like to say that there are some facts that needs to be said here.....

First of all dealing the issue with andrew8 and Olympic spirit.... for a while now I thought I was the only one interested in the olympic in my family. But later I found out about my sister being intersted in it also, so she joined later on gamesbids without telling me (according to her around this month she joined). My sister has been next to me to watch what I do on gamesbids for some months now and it looks like she became interested in it also. But her appearance and sticking up for me when people on this board said something against me, caused her to make it sound like she was me. I tried to defend myself assuring that it wasn't me. But later (anonymous) said that it was odd that our iq address were the same. I thought this didn't make sense since I already had an account. So I checked and it happened to be same, which made me shocked and made the situation more complicated. When I personally talked to my sister at home, that's when she told me for the first time that she created an account here, so I didn't know what to do except prove to everyone by showing pictures of my sister and me clearly stating that in the one computer are two different people. So that's what the situation is and it has been resolved actually after showing my proof....

proof (website)

NOw the thing about the 3rd account with this computer, actually is named "Andrew" that's the third account. But this account was signed up couple of months ago and i didn't use it because it didn't work. You can even look at the total post and see that it made NONE. You can also, find out the DATE of when it was signed up with and you will see it was in August. (So for about 3 months I didn't post anything which proves to you that I wasn't doing anything wrong on these forums.) This was actually my first account with gamesbids but since it didn't work (i couldn't enter) I had to create a new account so I added an 8 for andrew8 to be involved with gamesbids. You can erase the account named "Andrew" since it doesn't work anyway but I'm just telling you this because I never used it before and there was no intention of using it in the first place or in the wrong way.

So yongsa sorry that you had to be affected by this whole thing but please understand that I had to defend for myself at that time because of the complicated situation. You don't need to worry now because I proved to everybody that I've been telling the truth. But really sorry that your posts were affected by this event. Please understand that it was not intended by anybody to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

GB moderator... Could you go look at the Pyeongchang 2010 forum section... In there I have some articles posted that might be a good use for this website... I got it from the official Pyeongchang 2010 website.

We monitor the Pyeongchang Press releases regularly and publish those we think are newsworthy at the time

On the current updated bid-index I saw that Pyeongchang's points went down... I'm not trying to say you did the calculation wrong or anything... NOT at all! I'm just wanting to know the cause of Pyeongchang's points going down...even after hearing good news about the bid.

For Vancouver you gave factual information in the article about the updated bid-index on why Vancouver's points went down like,

Vancouver's Bid hopes had been buoyed after the announcement of the unprecedented early signing of a multi-party agreement which would support the organization of the Games, however more recent events have injected uncertainty. The election of a new mayor who supports a plebiscite as well as some legal issues on Crown corporation donations reveal weaknesses and a possible erosion of public support.
And I can see why Salzburg went up because you pointed out that...
Salzburg after it's bid increased 0.15 points to 64.45 on news of the granting of government guarantees that are required by the IOC.

But for Pyeongchang you only wrote

Pyeongchang trails at 50.82, down 0.13 points.
So as you can see, it makes me wonder along with other Pyeongchang supporters on why Pyeongchang's points went down on the bidindex because of lack of information.

Thanks for your time! :D

From GBModerator:  Pyeongchang's change was VERY minimal (0.13) and isn't really attribuatble to any one specific thing.  Often there are small changes due to changes in other bids because of some relative factors and adjustments or rounding in the calculations.  In short, there really wasn't much of a change in Pyeongchang's BidIndex.

• 1 month later...
This is not a big thing but do you  think you could change the "c" in Pyeongchang to capital "C" so it could be PyeongChang. The bid committee for PyeongChang has been doing that on their logos, articles, and throughout their campaign.... So could you also change those "c's" to capitals since that's what the bid committee wants?

The use of capital "C" by the bid is primarily a "marketing" type of decision to distinguish Pyeongchang from Pyongyang.  It is still editiorially corrrect to use the Pyeongchang spelling and that's the way the media has been doing it internationally.

The Bid Committee hasn't actually changed the spelling of the City's name.

The use of capital "C" by the bid is primarily a "marketing" type of decision to distinguish Pyeongchang from Pyongyang.  It is still editiorially corrrect to use the Pyeongchang spelling and that's the way the media has been doing it internationally.

The Bid Committee hasn't actually changed the spelling of the City's name.

So spelling correct 'corrrect' is now approved for use in the Games Bids forums?  Thats very Christina 'Dirrrty' Aguilera of you , oh mighty omnipresent one!!

• 2 weeks later...
I had a question, but have forgotten it - so I'll ask this - what bid books do you actually have in your possession - electronic, hard copies etc, oh mighty one?  Feel free to message me the response if you dont want the world to know... would you consider passing them on - emailed, or photocopied?  I know a certain gamesbids member (ME! ME!) who would pay well for such access........

Complaint about pillipino - new user.

So far I have enjoyed reading intelligent conversations about the Olympics. The only posts that i've seen from this user are flame posts complete with vulgar and unprofessional language.

Please keep the integrity of this message board and ban this user.

Thank you

Complaint about pillipino - new user.

So far I have enjoyed reading intelligent conversations about the Olympics. The only posts that i've seen from this user are flame posts complete with vulgar and unprofessional language.

Please keep the integrity of this message board and ban this user.

Thank you

Man oh man... wait till you see the TRULY insulting and disrespectful ones.... That new user is actually pretty mild compared to the ones I had to deal with...

Steve:

Where the banner ads are located, below your username, you should see a link called "Your Control Panel."  Click on that.

Once the screen loads, you will see another link called "Personal Info."  Click on that.

Once that screen loads, click on the link called "Edit your profile."  This will bring you to the screen where you can edit your signature, which is where you can add text or an image.

If you just want text, just type away.  But if you want an image, you will have to use iB code.  To see the iB code guide, click here.

Once you are done adding text and/or code, just press "amend my profile", and you're done.