Not sure about Cyprus anymore. Don't discount Russia or Turkey.

These are not my own preferences but more to do with how I think that Europe will vote.

The Russian entry sounds very polished and modern but I just can't see it winning as it's just not memorable enough.

The Turkish entry offers nothing new for me and I hope that Europe will not choose a song that is in such a similar style to many others that we have this year. For the same reason I hope that Belarus and Spain do not win.

The Ukranian entry certainly has the buzz and is memorable and different enough towin Eurovision.

I fear that despite the Serbian entry being my favourite it is maybe a little too predictable in tune. You kind of feel that this song has been done many time before in Eurovision, even though she sounds great and it is actually a very good song. There is also the possibility that she is just too ugly to win. I know this sounds very silly but I do think it could be an issue.

The Swiss entry is very catchy and will probably take the dance vote of Europe. When I first listened to the entries I had this as the clear winner but since then I fear that despite this song going down well with some countries like UK,Sweden,Germany etc, It could suffer with poor votes from the Baltic nations.

If I was to bet on an outsider it would have to be Denmark. This is truly an entry that really could sink or swim. If it is performed very well and the sound is good then it could raise the roof. If it is done badly then it could very easily fail to qualify.

I have to admit that I was slow to recognise just how good the Cypriot entry is. The sound is very much now and from what I have seen it is performed very well. It just has the feeling of a winning song. Personally I would not like to see it win becuase I disagree with how Cyprus and Greece treat the contest.....but thats another story and I wont go into that again.

On the whole I think that Cyprus has it in the bag if it can just hold it together on the night.

I would very much like France to do much better this year as I really do feel they are unfairly marked down at Eurovision in previous years. They normally offer some great sounding songs and I love this years entry. However, I fear that Europe will not give it many points.

I predict that the UK votes will vote for Switzerland as their favourite song. I also think that we will score Sweden, Cyprus and Germany highly.

I agree with Pyrros that this year is one of the hardest to call. The winner could easily be from one of 6 different countries in my mind. Cyprus,Serbia,Belarus,Ukraine,Sweden,Switzerland all stand a chance in my mind. That's probably the kiss of death from me. I bet Andorra go and win now.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Greek media today they talk about Cyprus (of course) and for a strange (or not) reason they show Ukraine as the winner. I watch the news now and there is a funny clip when Verka performs on stage and starts running behind the man with the steadycam. It's very funny!

And let's not forget Bulgaria. I think they deserve to pass in the final.

Almost one and a half hour to go!

I think you all have read the article about the "BBC panel". Well, i always thought the BBC is a reasonable and responsible Radio & TV station. Thats now history. Germany will never win the competition.

I really hope, that Switzerland wont qualify for the final. I watched the Swiss news yesterday and the manager explained why DJ Bobo is taking part. He has stated that they hope they can add some more cities for their tour through Europe afterwards. DJ Bobo was very successful in the 1990ies, but that is now all over. So they are doing it only for commercial reasons.

Edited by goethe

The Irish song has grown on me, because i'm a fan of trad. If you've seen the youtube version with the purple set, it's the original. The current has more percussion and bodhran, and sound alot better. It has a slow start, but I actually think we have a chance. But with all the voting blocks, I'm probbly wrong. All I know is that it's loads better than the farce Ireland had to put up last year. I feel horrible for the UK though. Their's is atrocious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k2ocvCIB_k

@ bethnalgreen,

I think that the EBU will change the rules - I doubt that the big four and the other western european countries will tolerate, that they have to give the money without any chance to win in the future...

(sorry had to edit my post - i meant the "other western european countries" and not "other european countries"...)

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius
@ bethnalgreen,

I think that the EBU will change the rules - I doubt that the big four and the other european countries will tolerate, that they have to give the money without any chance to win in the future...

Maybe, CAF. I know they talking about 2 semis in 2009. Not necessarily 1 for east and 1 for wet. I just don't know what the answer. The only thing I can predict is that the UK won't win... :rolleyes:

Fasten your seatbelts - it's going to be a bumpy landing tomorrow... :lol:

Maybe, CAF. I know they talking about 2 semis in 2009. Not necessarily 1 for east and 1 for wet. I just don't know what the answer. The only thing I can predict is that the UK won't win... :rolleyes:

Fasten your seatbelts - it's going to be a bumpy landing tomorrow... :lol:

After the semi-final a discussion started here in Germany - here are the main arguments:

- for the eastern european countries is the participation at the ESC very important for their national and cultural self-portrayal = the countries send famous musicians to the contest

- the western european countries are rich comparable to the eastern european countries = the audience of the western european countries will loose interest in the contest, when their don't have a chance to win anymore

- the center of Europe is neither in Luxembourg nor in the Slovakia but in Czechia = the western pop-culture and the eastern pop-culture are different

- western countries vote more for eastern pop than the other way round

I have always wondered , why western countries do not want to make their own voting bloc .

Greece , Italy , Monaco , Spain , Luxemborug , France , Austria , Portugal , Andorra , Switzerland , UK , Ireland , Germany , Netherlands , Belgium , Malta & Cyprus . If all of them vote for each other , its sure to work ! 17 countries !

And maybe even the Nordic countries can join the bloc , Sweden , Norway , Finland , Denmark & Iceland . Up to 22 countries

!

my predictions for this year:

the winner of the contest will be one out of these countries:

BULGARIA

GREECE

RUSSIA

SERBIA

My prediction:

1 Serbia

2 Belarus

3 Ukraine

4 Georgia

5 Bulgaria

6 Latvia

7 Russia

8 Greece

9 Turkey

10 Sweden

Well in Greece no one thinks that we will win. In fact, we are afraid that from next year (and till went Paparizou again) Greece will stuck in the semifinal.

Another point is that the former countries (USSR, Yugoslavia, the East Block) see this contest as a way to promote theirselves. The record companies see them as a virgin area when they can invest and make money.

More, people vote an outsider and not a favorite because they are afraid of it. That's why in 2001 won Estonia from nowhere, that's why everywhere a couple of favorites stay out.

But at the end I think we all love and wait for this night!

I have always wondered , why western countries do not want to make their own voting bloc .

Greece , Italy , Monaco , Spain , Luxemborug , France , Austria , Portugal , Andorra , Switzerland , UK , Ireland , Germany , Netherlands , Belgium , Malta & Cyprus . If all of them vote for each other , its sure to work ! 17 countries !

And maybe even the Nordic countries can join the bloc , Sweden , Norway , Finland , Denmark & Iceland . Up to 22 countries

!

Tonight I will only vote for Western European countries (the few that are in the final). This farce of televoting should finisht next year with 2 semifinals, one of Western European countries and the other one for Eastern European countries. 5 and 5 from each one should qualify. There are rumours that Norway and Denmark could leave the contest next year.

ERT made an official complain to EBU and YLE about the direction of the Greek entry. It looks like that since the 2nd dress rehearsal the director of the show (he's from sweden) doesn't direct the performance of Sarbel as ERT wanted to. The biggest problem for ERT is the end of the performance when the dancers make a blue heart and the director doesn't show it, and instead has a general view of the stadium.

I love these afternoon gossips shows here!

So, the new thing that came up today is that the choreographer of Belarus is Mr Fokas Evaggelinos. He's the man who has last year in Athens the artistic direction of the show, and also choreographed in 2004 Sakis Rouvas and in 2005 Helena Paparizou.

I hate to say it but Cyprus has kind of got some of it's own medicine. After years of bias voting with Greece it is now at the receiving end...not nice is it?

I can't even believe some people on these boards are talking about Western Europe forming their own voting blocs.

THIS IS NOT THE ANSWER!

The reason why we all love this contest is because of the uncertainty and the fun of the competition. As soon as we started to see the bias encroaching badly into the contest I knew it would be its downfall. I ask you one thing....how can you enjoy a contest that is unfair? Perhaps it's a British thing but I like to see everyone stand a fair chance and be judged fairly.

Edited by mallaka
I hate to say it but Cyprus has kind of got some of it's own medicine. After years of bias voting with Greece it is now at the receiving end...not nice is it?

I can't even believe some people on these boards talking about Western Europe forming their own voting blocs.

THIS IS NOT THE ANSWER!

The reason why we all love this contest is because of the uncertainty and the fun of the competition. As soon as we started to see the bias encroaching badly into the contest I knew it would be its downfall. I ask you one thing....how can you enjoy a contest that is unfair? Perhaps it's a British thing but I like to see everyone stand a fair chance and be judged fairly.

Well, it's quite tame on this board really...

You should see the reactions on www.esctoday.com - it's a war between east and west!

It is funny though that we've been saying this all along and now its affecting other countries it's a problem! Before it was just us moaning...

I agree about all songs being judged fairly, but tonight it could be interesting as some strong songs could suffer due to backlash voting! I keep hearing that the 2 semis in 2009 should solve the problem, but it won't in the Final surely? The same problem will carry on then...

If the Big Four go into the Semis as well, I can't see them staying in the contest if they don't get through to the Final.

The other thing I keep hearing mainly from the newer countries from the 'East' is that they put good songs in and we don't. Well duh, the best songs in the West would never go to Eurovision, it just wouldn't happen. We kind of like it that way. That's why we liked Eurovision - I don't like the new direction at all. My problem with the seriousness of the contest now is the PR tours of some of the songs in certain regions. If you can't put in a song that has already been put out commercially before as it is unfair, how come some countries are getting their songs out there whilst others you don't hear until the night. That should stop. I always liked hearing songs for the first time on the night. That way, the better songs always stood out.

Sadly, I feel that this is the beginning of the end of the ESC...

Why does everyone like push the blame to Greece & Cyprus from started this 12 points exchange ... there seem to be lot of complaints about the stage & result this year !

Hey the UK gave up a while ago. Now we like to send cheesy songs and take the mickey. No complaints from us on the result and stage...

The complain about Cyprus is that a great song that everyone though that could win the contest is left out and instead songs that no one counted are in. The 12 points between Greece and Cyprus didn't change the results of the contest. Now we have 6 former Yugoslavian countries (FYROM, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovenia) that could end 7 next year if Kosovo becomes independent. We have various countries from USSR (Russia, Moldova, Ukraine, Georgia, Belarus, Armenia, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia), they have the power to change the result!

About the stage. One of the worst ever. They have done that catwalk thing between the audience and no country used it! The stage is too small and many countries changed their dance routine. The Greeks compained about the gaps between the plexyglasses that the heels of the shoes stuck between them, and of course it glides. Various complaints for the direction of the show (Romania even last night said that they will withdraw).

Once again we must remember that the majority of the people across Europe that will vote tonight will hear and watch the songs for the first time. They are not maniacs like us that follow the show everyday.

And for the show itself. No one forces anyone to participate. If they don't like it they can stay out like Italy does since 1997.

Voting for political reasons and not artistic spoils eurovision. Even when it was only Greece and Cyprus exchanging their twelve points it was not within the spirit of the event. There's not really anything that can be done - revenue from tele-voting will mean that this continues, it would be impossible to prevent neighbours voting for each other.

I think more western European nations will begin to lose interest in the competition - when this happens it will either become an event only for the eastern nations or without the income from Spain, Germany, France and the UK it will simply die.