We have this kind of discussion every year. The UK does not need the ESC to promote its music artists. At least here in Germany, you can listen to the British music charts every week. The UK has a great influence on the European music scene without the ESC. Just take the singers, that had their breakthrough last year. Mika, Gnarls Barkley, Amy Winehouse or Lily Allen would ruin their career if they decide to represent the UK in the ESC. But when do you listen to a Greek (pop) artist on the radio? Here in Germany you can listen to them only on a channel with "World music" or a so called multi-kulti channel.

I totally agree with this. It is frustrating for a Eurovision fan like myself that the BBC and the UK in general does not treat this compeition more seriously. But on the other hand, can you really blame us? The compeition is hardly taken seriously by alot of countries. The UK is not alone with this criticism.

I also feel that many people overly criticise the UK because they want to see them take it more seriosuly. I hear some of the terrible comments about our recent entries and it makes me laugh....have you heard some of the others? Lexus talks as if the UK are the worst every year. I am a fan of Eurovision and EVEN I hate at least half of them each year. LOL . I really do feel that you arew overly critical Lexus. The selection this year ay MYMU was better than what most other countries put out. I agree it is knowhere near as high as the standard could be if it was treated more seriosuly. This is never going to be a respected contest whilst we have countries treating it as a likability contest.

I apologise for singling out Sweden and Norway. They are by no means the worst offenders and dont deserve to be singled out. However, I do stand by my point that we have to tackle the regional voting if we are to increase the credibility of this contest and get a better standard of entry.

Edited by mallaka
  • Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the contrary, if you collectively look at the MYMU and pre-selection, UK never gave itself a chance. Biased voting is rife, I won't argue there, but frankly, what the UK has offered has been absolutely rubbish. Jessica Garlick was the last decent song and I think that did ok. I can only offer Greece as an example - Greeks were not interested in the ESC until they started sending competetive entries (note how I said competetive and not good) - Pyros reckons that more people watched ESC '05 than the Euro Final '04 - (I think that's blasphemy but anyway) and with the strongest international music scene in Europe, there is absolutely no reason why UK shouldn't be winning this year after year.

I diasgree. Big Brovaz was a fantastic song and would not be out of place as a UK number 1 single. The problem is the mindset of the UK voting public who like to have fun with Eurovision and don't feel the need to use it as a showcase of UK music talent. We have the Brit awards for that.

Edited by mallaka
Where can you start? It is bad beyond words. Anyone who seriously thinks this has a chance of winning needs their ears syringing.

C'mon guys , with just a little luck , they may end up like Texas Lighting or maybe LT united . Which is not that bad considering UK performance during the last few year . Novelty Acts like this aren't that bad .

I totally agree with this. It is frustrating for a Eurovision fan like myself that the BBC and the UK in general does not treat this compeition more seriously. But on the other hand, can you really blame us? The compeition is hardly taken seriously by alot of countries. The UK is not alone with this criticism.

I also feel that many people overly criticise the UK because they want to see them take it more seriosuly. I hear some of the terrible comments about our recent entries and it makes me laugh....have you heard some of the others? Lexus talks as if the UK are the worst every year. I am a fan of Eurovision and EVEN I hate at least half of them each year. LOL . I really do feel that you arew overly critical Lexus. The selection this year ay MYMU was better than what most other countries put out. I agree it is knowhere near as high as the standard could be if it was treated more seriosuly. This is never going to be a respected contest whilst we have countries treating it as a likability contest.

I apologise for singling out Sweden and Norway. They are by no means the worst offenders and dont deserve to be singled out. However, I do stand by my point that we have to tackle the regional voting if we are to increase the credibility of this contest and get a better standard of entry.

UK is more critizised (sp?) than the others just because we know you can do so much better ... I cannot say that your song this year is worse than anything else but it was a big disappointment, especially as we had high expectations on you this year.

Oh well, my comfort is that Sweden has such a good song this year ... *whistle* But I see no point in winning without decent resistance. (Actually I don't think we'll win at all, but that is just because of the strange taste out there ... ;) )

As for neighbour voting, we sigh just as much in Sweden over it. I just wonder if other countries are so passionate about the Big, Big Question every year, as we are:

DID THE RIGHT SONG WIN?

You should see our tabloids.

Sweden is my favourite Eurovision country and I do really like this years entry. Although it does sound very much like part of the Bay City Rollers Song.

What does everyone else think?

Bay City Rollers...shangalang

Ark - Worrying Kind

Maybe it's just me that can see the similarity. Regardless, I still love it and think it will do well. Don't think it's a winner though.

Edited by mallaka

Here's another recap video of the Semi Contestants which is much shorter and in better quality. It also uses the preview videos for most of the entries:

Sweden is my favourite Eurovision country and I do really like this years entry. Although it does sound very much like part of the Bay City Rollers Song.

What does everyone else think?

Bay City Rollers...shangalang

Ark - Worrying Kind

Maybe it's just me that can see the similarity. Regardless, I still love it and think it will do well. Don't think it's a winner though.

Haha, that was a new one! "The worrying kind" has been compared to a dozen songs by now. Conclusion? All these songs are quite similar. A very typical 70's sound. Actually the most mentioned song is "Love grows (where my Rosemary goes)" and it is quite obvious that Ark borrowed the first two bars there. But that has been sorted out, it is no plagiarism. After all, Lordi borrowed from the same song, but nobody seems to have noticed, except me. (I have found out that the song that is the mother of all rock songs whatsoever is "Alexander's ragtime band", btw.)

No, I don't think Sweden will win and in fact I could not care less about the result - after all, the only place that makes a difference is No 1, otherwise you just have an advantage if you have to start in the semi next time. It is all about exposition in these days, isn't it? On the other hand, I am a huge fan of these guys and I think they deserve all the credit they can get. Normally ESC is a bunch of quite nice promotion videos with carefully recorded songs and it all sound so good - just listen to Belgium's wonderful hit last year - and then we have the actual stage performance which could be terribly amusing if you are of the cruel kind. Nervous artists singing so far out of key that it hurts, cheesy dance routines, sound checks that obviously did not work ... (Watch Belgium again, what they did in Athens. Poor Kate!)

After having watched ESC about 25 times - yes, I'm grown-up - I can say that performance DOES matter, and it matters a lot. Almost every winner has managed to "nail" their performance that particular evening, even though there were "better" songs. Seen from that aspect, Sweden should have a very good chance.

But maybe I'm talking history when I say it matters. Today I guess that most voters make up their mind long before they actually see the show. You watch the videos and then you decide, and then you vote as soon as you can, and then the live performance means nothing.

(Come on, we have all been to rock concerts where we could hardly recognize the songs we loved so much, but that did not matter, did it?)

... I have almost decided I like France, by the way. They are funny. I cannot decide whether the song is good or awful, but it made me smile in the right way. Hungary has made a good job with song and video so I'd bet on them.

Here's another recap video of the Semi Contestants which is much shorter and in better quality. It also uses the preview videos for most of the entries:

In that video Turkey looks like a winner. And Poland are not that bad - but the video from their live show was a disaster, a REAL turkey. (No puns ...) Horrible lyrics.

But I have heard the whole Turkish song and I found it a bit monotonous after a while. Not the class of "Everything that I can" which is one of my all-time favourites, but ... well, OK. I'm not just in that kind of music, I guess.

At least is was a "bit" better than "Süperstar"!

I love Eurovision! It's so fun!

Remember that the majority of the people hear/watch the songs for the first time during Eurovision. So a good presentation there = points.

That's a good point. Last year the real fanatical Eurovision fans were all tipping Kate Ryan to do so well. However, when it came down to the semi's she gave a poor performance and the voters punished her for it. They hadn't seen the prmo clips and could only judge her on the night. Sometimes a great song is not enough. It has to be delivered well on the night. This is also true for very average songs that do well because they are performed extra well on the night.

That I am more critical of the Uk - absolutely. I think it's natural to expect more from the UK for example than Georgia or Moldova. UK's international music industry is solid and experienced.

The thing is, to win, you don't have to send your top star, you have to send a top song, with a top performance. UK never does this (and if you ask me, never even tries). UK songs hardly ever make it to their top 10 charts so if it isn't good enough for UK, well why would it be good enough for Europe. As the European leeading influence in music, this is no excuse. I can assure you, if the UK started finishing in the top 5, people would take it seriously.

Currently, my favourite ESC countries are the Ukraine and Romania, because they mix it up, they send original tunes, always great and memorable performances and if they don't win, they come very close. And sure enough, I am certain we will either be in Bucharest or Kiev in 2008.

We have this kind of discussion every year. The UK does not need the ESC to promote its music artists. At least here in Germany, you can listen to the British music charts every week. The UK has a great influence on the European music scene without the ESC. Just take the singers, that had their breakthrough last year. Mika, Gnarls Barkley, Amy Winehouse or Lily Allen would ruin their career if they decide to represent the UK in the ESC. But when do you listen to a Greek (pop) artist on the radio? Here in Germany you can listen to them only on a channel with "World music" or a so called multi-kulti channel.

Greece is not a good example for your point. Per capita, Greece has got one of the most active music industries in the world. In Greece, the question is, which station do you have to tune in to to listen to foreign music.

Again, my point is, you don't have to send your top stars, but you have to be innovative. The language barrier has gone, traditions/expectations are out the window and as a result, Ireland/UK's monopoly is over. I also think that the Bloc voting is an excuse. Fortunately, I don't think that any contest has been won due to bloc voting as yet. 250-300 are a lot of points (from only 40 sources).

These are my favs ummm

Malta - Great Song , but the dancers need more energy

Cyprus - With a little luck , this song can be the first frence to win in over a decade .

Ukraine - Colourful , Silvia Night minus the vulgarities and bitchyness

Switzerland - I think its Switzerland's to lose

Belarus - The first decent song for this year .

Fortunately, I don't think that any contest has been won due to bloc voting as yet. 250-300 are a lot of points (from only 40 sources).

You're wrong about that my friend . Estonia , Latvia and Ukraine have won thanks to the Ex-Soviet bloc , Russia isn't that bad themselves . Georgia , Ukraine , Estonia , Latvia , Moldova , Belarus , Armenia and Lithuania can provide Russia with a max. 96 points .

OK Hitler!

This post tells everything about you. About your thinking, about your character and about your attitude towards ordinary people like Olympian2004.

But I am fan of the contest and I do have my own opinion.

Greece since 2001 has the best places of any country participating in the contest. A clear victory in 2005, all countries voted us in 2001 and 2004, two fiascos in 2002 and 2003, and in the top 10 in 2006.

Greece never ended last (compared to Germany).

BTW, you remind me of a 12 year old under the shower after the sport training, that says to his team mate next to him, that his dick is longer compared to his.

But on the other hand, can you really blame us? The compeition is hardly taken seriously by alot of countries. The UK is not alone with this criticism.

The problem here is not that UK doesn't take the contest seriously (the majority of the countreies don't) but that sending rubbish singers that don't even make top 40 in thier own country it takes the defeat too seriously. . Britain defines the current trends in European and even world music. The UK artists are always there ahead of everybody else and yet at eurovision it is represented by old fashioned instantly forgettable performances.

I agree with you that half of the entries a laughable and the majority of the countries see this comtetition as funfest, but when thier jokey songs don't win they don't complain about biased voting and everybody being against them. They know that they were not serious sending those artists to represent them. Unfortunately UK does complain. And it will again though the song is not even good enough high school misical

When I heard The Big Bruvers this year I was overwhelmed with excitement. I thought that finally UK might have a chance to win the contest. I can't stand rap, but that song was great and colourful and more importantly it was different and fresh. That is exactly what British music is famous for: innovation and drive. That was exactly the reason why I (and everybody I knew) voted for Finland last year. I can't stand heavy metal and hated thier masks but they WERE DIFFERENT! And I am glad they won. If only UK had voted for the Big Bruvers :(

C'mon guys , with just a little luck , they may end up like Texas Lighting or maybe LT united . Which is not that bad considering UK performance during the last few year . Novelty Acts like this aren't that bad .

They are that bad, and worse. Her who sang the ballad should have won. Yet again, the great British public have cocked it up.

This post tells everything about you. About your thinking, about your character and about your attitude towards ordinary people like Olympian2004.

BTW, you remind me of a 12 year old under the shower after the sport training, that says to his team mate next to him, that his dick is longer compared to his.

If you don't like me, don't read my comments.

We live in a democracy and everyone has the right to express what he thinks. If you don't agree with what I say, then let's talk about it and give me some arguments why I'm wrong and you are right (this is called dialogue and it's the basic element of democracy), but you should fight for my right to express free my thoughts.

Cheers!

PS: Germany can do a lot better than all these years in Eurovision.

They are that bad, and worse. Her who sang the ballad should have won. Yet again, the great British public have cocked it up.

Well she did win for about 5 seconds.I've begun to suspect Terry Wogan called her name out deliberately as an act of defiance against the public's vote! :rolleyes:

The winning song sounds like a 3rd rate advert for British Airways! No one can be surprised when we find ourselves languishing at the bottom of the table again on May 12! ;)

Edited by Mainad
In that video Turkey looks like a winner. And Poland are not that bad - but the video from their live show was a disaster, a REAL turkey. (No puns ...) Horrible lyrics.

But I have heard the whole Turkish song and I found it a bit monotonous after a while. Not the class of "Everything that I can" which is one of my all-time favourites, but ... well, OK. I'm not just in that kind of music, I guess.

At least is was a "bit" better than "Süperstar"!

Hey SweLady, first all, welcome to this forum! B)

I'm glad to see that you've joined this forum and are making a positive contributions to this thread with all the points as well as claims that you're making. Anyways, regarding the Turkish entry, personally, I'm not really fond of it at all since it isn't the sort of genre I dig. I actually dislike Kenan (The Turkish artist) since his music just doesn't do it for me but yet somehow, so many people in Turkey love his songs which really aren't that spectacular. If you're interested, than you can youtube him to get a sense of what I'm talking about. Of course, that's just my two cents on him so we'll just leave it at that. I doubt that we'll win. We'll probably make it through to the finals thanks to the votes of the Turkish diaspora; however, my guess is that it'll probably rank anywhere between 8th - 14th position depending how much he manages to appeal to countries that don't usually vote for Turkey. We'll just have to wait and see I guess. BTW, I hope that you'll be able to participate in the mock Eurovision contest which we always hold on an annual bases on here. The point of it is just to see what the members of the forum think is going to win and to have fun with it at the same time. This mock contest always manages to draw in a lot of attention and support thanks to the many dedicated fans here. So hopefully, it should be fun. :)