Eurovision 2007

Mikel

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say that we should have a Western Eurovision Song Contest next year - if the East European Countries don't vote for Western country, the West should have an own one...

Oh CAF, don't be silly. :rolleyes:

Turkey had been underrated for 20 years (from 75-95) due the systrem used back then and yet we still stayed and barely protested against the system. Of course, the current televoting system should change as televoting tends to be too biased; however, there needs to be one set that is fair and rewards songs rather than nations. Both system used in the past failed to achieve this.

WTF? Ireland in last place? The song was flipping awesome. Serbia's was atrocious. Ireland used to be the king of Eurovision. 5 times in 6 years. Now we are last,. but with a goos song. How can the UK not give us points??? We gave them some. It's pretty unfair.

WTF? Ireland in last place? The song was flipping awesome. Serbia's was atrocious. Ireland used to be the king of Eurovision. 5 times in 6 years. Now we are last,. but with a goos song. How can the UK not give us points??? We gave them some. It's pretty unfair.

I guess people we're getting tired and the same old Celtic tune that starts and ends pretty much the same way.

I honestly liked Ireland's song; however, an early performance combined with an average song as well as performance didn't play out to Ireland's benefit at all.

I beg to differ but Serbia was amazing. It was well deserved hands down.

I've just got back from a eurovision party - people were even more pi$$ed off than usual about how political everything had got - no one expected the UK to do very well but all were complaining how badly France and Germany were placed. It's only the former Soviet Republics or the Balkans that seem to get anything (other than from Malta - WTF).

So, nothing has changed. Germany had no chance in 1950ies-70ies, 1990ies and we don't have a chance in this millennium. I didn't expect a place in the top ten for Cicero. My personal favorite finished LAST!!!! My second favorite has won. Congratulations. Again, many votes have been predicable and the diaspora voting is getting out of hand. But even Germany has profiteered from the diaspora- and neighborhood-voting. The points from CH, AT and ES have been expected, because many Germans live in these nations. The only points from East Europe came from Estonia and Albania. I think they wanted to vote for the Russian or the Ukrainian song, but dialed the wrong number, so Cicero has grasped a few points. The Albanian vote was the surprise of the evening. Ireland got its only points and with France, Germany and Spain three of the big4 received points. Cicero said afterwards he didn't expect such a bad result and that he is disappointed. Ok, i´m biased but his "performance" was one of the better ones but maybe swing is too special for a event like this.

So, whats next? Last year and this year we tried it with good musicians, singer and songs. But nevertheless we finished well off the top ten. I still remember the year when Max finished in the 8th (!) place. Everyone was bitterly disappointed and angry. Today everyone would be happy with a place like that. I don't see a way to stop the present way of voting. But i wish, that the NDR stops paying for this. When every nation has the right to give 12 points, then every nation should pay the same amount of the fees. Not only the big4.

You're not only that hates the Serbian enrty , if you asked me , her backup singer were better looking , they reminded the UK entry of '77 . Anyway , Andorra gave no punts to Spain too , you know

And another thing , How did that shoit from Armenia get such a high placing .

For the same reason Turkey usually does well. Neighbours + Diaspora.

Although, I think that their song wasn't all that bad. ;)

In the final:

Serbia got points from all countries except Andorra, Estonia, Lithuania and UK

Ukraine got points from all countries except Albania

Finland got 2 twelves, one from Iceland, one from Sweden.

Sweden got 12 from Denmark and Norway, 10 from Iceland.

Also, in the start of the decade we had:

2000 - Sweden

2001 - Denmark

2002 - Estonia

2003 - Latvia

We were flying around Scandinavia!

2004 - Turkey

2005 - Greece

2006 - Finland

2007 - Serbia

We flying in the same time zone, but up and down.

For the first time after the language rule in 1999 a song not perfrormed in English wins! Also Ukraine and Bulgaria reached top 5 not singing in English.

The 2nd performing slot curse continues and Spain finishes near the end.

Turkey had been underrated for 20 years (from 75-95) due the systrem used back then and yet we still stayed and barely protested against the system. Of course, the current televoting system should change as televoting tends to be too biased; however, there needs to be one set that is fair and rewards songs rather than nations. Both system used in the past failed to achieve this.

You are right - therefore let's stop this **** until they have found a new voting system...

Well, well... Now it's certain that there have to be some changes made. This was by far the most unattractive ESC for Western European viewers ever. In terms of the "neighbourship votes", a friend of mine even suggested yesterday that they should present the performers without giving the information from which country they are from. :lol: Too bad that this won't work if the countries still want to send more or less famous singers to the ESC or if they want to have them sing in their native languages.

However, I hope that Eurovision will find a way to get rid of that Eastern European overweight -- as quickly as possible.

Just a few words about Roger Cicero's performance: I was not very convinced of that. He was far better at the German pre-contest. Yesterday, he was off-tempo several times, he was apparently more tense than at the pre-contest and thus sang the song more aggressively, and the English lyrics were pretty hard to understand. So the 19th rank was a little bit more justified. But although I expected a rank like that, it was disappointing nevertheless to have the third ESC evening in a row, sitting in front of the TV and watching the points only dripping for Germany. And I'm not very convinced that this will change next year.

Well, well... Now it's certain that there have to be some changes made. This was by far the most unattractive ESC for Western European viewers ever.

However, I hope that Eurovision will find a way to get rid of that Eastern European overweight -- as quickly as possible.

The EBU has to be very quickly...

To take the United Kingdom's situation individually for a moment, I think a large proportion of the British public have written off Eurovision completely. You only have to look at our selection process to see that. Songs get picked in a public vote that obviously have no chance of doing anything, at least partly because they are utter garbage. The last time we entered what I class as a Eurovision type song (the year Jessica Garlick represented us), we came third. So pick a proper song and you have a better chance. At least in theory.

But the theory falls when you consider what happened last night. I thought the German entry was one of the best in the contest, and yet it comes 19th. As I've said before, the domination of the Eastern European nations in the voting was staggering. At one point during the evening, I recall Terry Wogan saying only one Western nation qualified from the semi-final. It is something that clearly needs to be addressed. I think the very future of the event depends on it.

I don't want to pay radio & TV licence fee (we have to pay 17.03 EUR monthly for ARD and ZDF in Germany) and watch this former SU/YUG-Eurovision Song Contest - like we had seen yesterday - anymore.

The Eurovision Song Contest is presented in Germany by the NORTH GERMAN TELEVISION which is part of the ARD.

He are the TV ratings for Germany:

2004: Max Mutzke: 11,49 Mio

2005: Gracia: around 30% 7,02 Mio

2006: Texas Lightning: 39% 10,49 Mio

2007: Roger Cicero: 30% 7,38 Mio

The ARD will be very pleased with the numbers. No need for a change on this front.

In Greece reached again 83%

Till the find a new format, EBU should at least decide to allow the countries participating in semifinal to vote only for the semifinal, and the countries participating in the final, to vote only for the final.

It doesn't make any sense the 12 points of Germany (with 70.000.000 people) to have the same power with the 12 points of Greece (10.000.000) or Andorra with 70.000 people.

let me say some things in sparse order:

- Italy does not perform in eurovision for several reasons like: it's a waste of money for a kitch contest, RAI doesn't want to spend those money organizing the contest in the case we win (and it's not so rare coz when we were there we were always in the first places), we already have our national contest (FESTIVAL DI SANREMO) which sucks us off all the musical energies we have (it's the festival from where Pausini, Ramazzotti, Bocelli, Zucchero came out...)

- In general Eurovision has super sucking songs: just look at Ukraine, UK or Malta, Portugal and Spain

- The east countires only votes for themselves and do have a terrible taste in music

- The best ones were Andorra, Germany and Hungary (although I couldn't listen them all)

- Yesterday night I could watch at TVE (TV Española) a program about comments over Eurovision: why are you spanish so focused on Eurovision? Couldn't you see it's a horrible festival in which there are almost only bad songs? And even if you don't send those kind of terrible/sucking spanish Nsync you couldn't ever win (although you send some strange things like Ukranian one, but it would be like suicide for spanish music...not that those DNash were not...)

I think that's all.

I got it - Germany will participate next year with its 16 countries:

BADEN-WÜRTTEMBERG - Stuttgart

BAVARIA - München

BERLIN - Berlin

BRANDENBURG - Brandenburg

BREMEN - Bremen

HAMBURG - Hamburg

HESSE - Wiesbaden

LOWER SAXONY - Hannover

MECKLENBURG-WESTERN POMMERANIA - Schwerin

NORTH RHINE-WESTPHALIA - Düsseldorf

RHINELAND-PALATINATE - Mainz

SAARLAND - Saarbrücken

SAXONY - Dresden

SAXONY-ANHALT - Magdeburg

SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN - Kiel

THURINGIA - Erfurt

For what it's worth I have emailed the BBC this morning demanding that they withdraw from the ESC in protest at the unfairness of the contest. I urge anyone else bothered about the future of Eurovision in the UK to do the same.

Yes, I am slightly dramatic. LOL

For what it's worth I have emailed the BBC this morning demanding that they withdraw from the ESC in protest at the unfairness of the contest. I urge anyone else bothered about the future of Eurovision in the UK to do the same.

Yes, I am slightly dramatic. LOL

lol - I did the same with the Norddeutschen Rundfunk

The German broadcaster shouldn't spend any money of its viewer for this nonsense anymore

The same for the Spanish broadcaster. They vote themshelves, they pay the show, easy and clear... :angry: They're robbing us, bitting the hand that gives them the food.

Archived