Eurovision 2007

Mikel

Oddly enough, I support the idea of having two separate Semi's rather than shoving all 28 (Possibly more in the upcoming years) into one single night. I mean, 28 is just a ridiculously high amount. A lot of songs will be "lost" and "forgotten" with such a high participation rate plus, it's just gonna bore everyone waiting for a couple of hours before the parade of nations all have their 3 or so minutes to perform.

What I don't support though is the idea to splitting the Semi's into an East vs West Semi's. I mean yeah, it will cut down on the diaspora votes; however, it's going to encourage neighbour voting like no tomorrow. I think it'd be better if they held 2 random draws for each of the Semi's. At least nations from the east and west will compete head to head randomly against each other. I don't know, perhaps such an idea will actually have the nations sending entries that could appeal to Europeans all over the continent and rely less on hysterical acts. Or is this all wishful thinking from my part?

Anyways, 20 nations in each of the Semi's sound like a reasonable amuout. The top 10 from each of the Semi's would obviously make it to the finals and add the big 4 plus the hosting nation, this will bring us to 25 nations to the finals. 26 nations in the finals would be a better amount. This is considering that the contest is growing, plus they've already tried to cut on the length of the show by limiting the voting from each nation to announcing only their 8, 10 and 12 pts. So this will make 26 a reasonable number for the finals. This would sound like a suitable plan, I think. Then again, I'm only 1 person, so who am I to come up/support such propsals as being fair?

Regardless of what changes that'll likely take place, I think that the big 4 will always have to keep their privileges. It's more or less a necessary evil that'll be a part of this contest for a long time. This is considering that they finance the overwhelming amount of the show, so without their contributions, then Eurovision would probably be hosted in a high school gym of the winning nation lol.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top 10 from escstats.com

1 Cyprus

2 Greece

3 Spain

4 Belarus

5 Bulgaria

6 Switzerland

7 Slovenia

8 Denmark

9 Moldova

10 Romania

It's not something very official since the countries that selected their songs the previous week aren't counted so much, and UK hasn't selected their song yet.

Top 10 from escstats.com

1 Cyprus

2 Greece

3 Spain

4 Belarus

5 Bulgaria

6 Switzerland

7 Slovenia

8 Denmark

9 Moldova

10 Romania

It's not something very official since the countries that selected their songs the previous week aren't counted so much, and UK hasn't selected their song yet.

Mind you they've only predicted the winner once in 15 years! (Greece 2005) - they're very good at picking 2nd and 3rd though :P

Top 10 from escstats.com

1 Cyprus

2 Greece

3 Spain

4 Belarus

5 Bulgaria

6 Switzerland

7 Slovenia

8 Denmark

9 Moldova

10 Romania

Spain 3rd!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Are they joking?

I was thinking , are we going the 4th GB Fantasy Eurovision this year ?

Of course we are. This is the highlight of the year for this entire forum. LOL

Hopefully though we'll begin some time late Aprilish if that's okay with everyone? ;)

I think that would be an appropriate time to host it since it'd just be a week or so away before the actual contest takes place. In addition to that, Mid-Aprilish is when usually all the final studio versions of the songs are released and that too of the promotional videos.

So off the top of my head, I'm thinking that we can start the Semi's from April 21st-27th.

The 28th would be a turn-around day where it'll give CAF time to calculate and post the results. I will also need that day to work on the final presentation of the actual finals. So the final dates can last between April 29th - May the 5th.

How does that sound to everyone?

I would love Spain to win, but it's not going to happen with that, sorry.

I also would love Spain to win, but not with this song... Since 2005 with "Son de Sol", Spain is chosing a worse song every year, and this is very dificult to get after "Las Ketchup" with "Bloody Mary"....

I would not be able to vote if the final started on the 29th as I am on holiday in Scotland from 27th April. Is there any chance of starting the finals on the 26th so that I can vote before I go?

Of course. Nothing is set in stone yet. How about this?

Semi-Finals: April 18th - 24th

Turn around day: April 25th

Finals: April 26th - May 2nd

Can we acctually have reliable studio version of it so I can burn into a CD :X

We will at some point. Although I'm not sure when can find reliable quality versions which you speak of. Anyways, I'm sure that we can settle with the versions which we all have, which really aren't that bad at all. ;)

Thats works for me. Hope it does for everybody else too.

Breaking News: The BBC MYMU show has just gone to break after all the songs have been performed. In 30 minutes we will know the UK song. There are representatives from all Eurovision countries in the studio and a poll of Europe found Big Brovaz to be the favourite song amongst them and Cyndi in 2nd place.

OMG!!!!

Big surprise from the UK as Scooch wins MYMU and will be the UK entry. They performed what I can only describe as the campest routine I have ever witnessed and beat Cyndi to the prize.

As the announcement was made there was chaos as Terry Wogan announced that Cyndi had won whilst fellow presenter announced Scooch at exactly the same time. It was later corrected that Scooch had indeed won.

This is especially controversial as the UK has been plagued with stories over the past 2 weeks of vote rigging on TV shows and many phone-in shows have been taken off air recently as votes were found to be rigged. Only a few days ago a BBC childrens programme had to apologise over vote rigging came to light.

I can't believe that Scooch have won. It was the rank outsider and totally unexpected. It is sooooo camp it is off the scale. LOL

Yep,it's another 'nil points' for the UK come Helsinki on May 12! :)

(Unless perhaps the Euro-Gay-Bloc vote manages to organize itself in sufficient numbers to counter the normal regional voting patterns in Eurovision (you know,where Sweden, Denmark and Norway give each other maximum possible points,Russia and Ukraine,Greece and Cyprus,all the Balkan republics voting for each other etc.etc. But then I don't know if there are even camper entries out there!!) ;)

BTW,is Terry losing it,or was he just taking the piss?? I do hope the latter because,for me, the contest would be unwatchable without him!! :blink:

I think that is exactly the problem that we are faced with. People in the UK have seen 4 or 5 years of really bad biased voting where countries just vote for their neighbours. So now, the UK public have washed their hands and just regard it as a silly competition that should not be taken seriously. I know exactly what happens, people in the UK tune in each year to see Cyprus vote for Greece and Sweden vote for Norway. They then see the winners dressed up as devil worshipping monsters so they start treating the comepetition as a joke. And to be honest, I can't really blame them.

I think that is exactly the problem that we are faced with. People in the UK have seen 4 or 5 years of really bad biased voting where countries just vote for their neighbours. So now, the UK public have washed their hands and just regard it as a silly competition that should not be taken seriously. I know exactly what happens, people in the UK tune in each year to see Cyprus vote for Greece and Sweden vote for Norway. They then see the winners dressed up as devil worshipping monsters so they start treating the comepetition as a joke. And to be honest, I can't really blame them.

On the contrary, if you collectively look at the MYMU and pre-selection, UK never gave itself a chance. Biased voting is rife, I won't argue there, but frankly, what the UK has offered has been absolutely rubbish. Jessica Garlick was the last decent song and I think that did ok. I can only offer Greece as an example - Greeks were not interested in the ESC until they started sending competetive entries (note how I said competetive and not good) - Pyros reckons that more people watched ESC '05 than the Euro Final '04 - (I think that's blasphemy but anyway) and with the strongest international music scene in Europe, there is absolutely no reason why UK shouldn't be winning this year after year.

We have this kind of discussion every year. The UK does not need the ESC to promote its music artists. At least here in Germany, you can listen to the British music charts every week. The UK has a great influence on the European music scene without the ESC. Just take the singers, that had their breakthrough last year. Mika, Gnarls Barkley, Amy Winehouse or Lily Allen would ruin their career if they decide to represent the UK in the ESC. But when do you listen to a Greek (pop) artist on the radio? Here in Germany you can listen to them only on a channel with "World music" or a so called multi-kulti channel.

Hey, as being a Swede, these endless "you always vote for Norway" accusations really breaks my heart. You just have to study the statistics to see that it is absolutely wrong. Not that we have never given Norway high scores in the past, but actually there often have been low points or no points at all. (I suppose the Norwegians generally have been kinder to us) But otherwise, it is of course a question about musical preferences. The Finnish rock song gained 12 points from all the Scandinavian countries last year and believe me, it was not about the monster masks. It was rather the heavy rock sound that was very appealing. Considering the small population in Sweden, we are one of the world's biggest producer in rock music, seen per capita.

This year we have to hear that we "try ABBA once again" or "try to imitate Lordi" (yeah, yeah) but actually that ABBA talk is also quite old. On the other hand, it is absolutely true that Swedish ESC songs always seem to be the same and yeah, during the years I have felt more than ashamed that we have sent "Boogaloo dansa rock'nrolla" (the person who invented that line should be executed), "Invincible" (with our National Yeller Carola), "Give me your love" (yes, that WAS indeed ABBA but oh how lame) or "Las Vegas" (nothing like ABBA whatsoever but with a stage performance that was a major embarassment :blink: ) and so on. All this because so many Swedes tend to believe this is called "Schlagerfestivalen". And "schlager" as actually referring back to German oompah-oompah music back int the 60's. The gap between this very special ESC music and what we listen to during the rest of the year is rather striking.

This year was very remarkable as we finally voted for a rock band which is well established outside the ESC sphere and are remarkable talented as live performers. The typical Swedish schlager style is hopefully going to die ... because we wanna rock here. The Ark might be saluting the 70's glam rockers in this routine, but they are not any wannebes or have-beens. Last year, with Carola lasting on 5th place, was a disgrace IMO. The typical "safe choice". Good points but is that all that matters? This year might very well end up in disaster because Europe wants lation or eurodisco or a ballad or anything but rock, but nevertheless most of us are awfully proud this time. The televoters, the expert jury and the journalists all wanted this in the first place. And still, there were others as well. The complicated qualifying system has started to pay off. If we end up in the semis next year then fine; you have to admit this guy is incredible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oKXIAqwujo

Swedish journalists have already, in their usual optimism, decided that our song is totally superior. In fact, I agree. :P But I don't expect all Europe to do the same. And I will NOT vote for any Scandinavian neighbour this year. Nobody will, maybe some votes for Finland but Norway - No Way.

And as for the UK: I really cannot believe this. After all, ESC has how many viewers? 100 millions? 200 millions? And that means nothing? Katrina was awfully good, what happened after that?

Archived