Uefa Euro 2016 To Sweden/norway?

Several Norwegian news-papers announced today that Sweden and Norway will come with a joint bid for the EUFA EURO 2016 final tournament. I guess Oslo (Ullevål), Bergen (Brann stadium), and Trondheim (Lerkendal stadium) will be likely venues in Norway, and Stockholm and Gøteborg (Nya Ullevi - stadium for the final game?) will be among the Swedish locations. In total 8 stadia required, and they need to have a capacity of 30 000, so some expansion will be required.

Just heard that Wales and Scotland, are likely to make a joint bid for the 2016 competition.

Whilst I'd normally support this, the damage a winning bid could do to England's chances of hosting the 2018 World Cup means I probably won't. Have you got a link btw Scotguy?

Unless Poland and Ukraine win the EURO 2012 next spring, the EURO will certainly leave the southern half of Europe in 2016 and move to the northern half again -- after a pause of 16 years (after the EURO 2000 in the Netherlands and Belgium). So I guess that a joint Norwegian and Swedish bid might have good prospects.

But on the other hand, I'm not sure whether a joint bid has good chances in case that one of the joint bids for 2012 (Hungary/Croatia and Poland/Ukraine) wins. Norway/Sweden would be the third binational EURO in a row. I think that then, UEFA would want to give the EURO to a single nation for a change.

Whilst I'd normally support this, the damage a winning bid could do to England's chances of hosting the 2018 World Cup means I probably won't. Have you got a link btw Scotguy?

Heres the link to the joint bid news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/l...les/6175393.stm

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, since I did kinda do a stadium plan for something similar, I may be able to help here.

Oslo would probably require a new stadium (50,000+)

Trondheim would upgrade the Lerkendal Stadion (would happen anyways with the WOG plans)

Bergen would also require a new stadium (40,000+)

Stavanger would use Viking Stadion which would be upgraded

Goteborg - Nya Ullevi Stadion - would need some upgrades

Solna - Rasunda Stadion (brand new stadium opening next year I think) Nationalarenan

Malmo - new stadium

Stockholm - new stadium, since Solna is where the national team plays

Italy would have to get 2014, and Norway would have to drop Olympic assperations.

For 2016 Spain will have:

BARCELONA--

2 renewed stadiums--> Camp Nou (More than 98,000)

Olympic Stadium

MADRID--

New stadium--> New Santiago Calderón

A renewed Santiago Bernabeu

BILBAO--

A renewed San Mamés

ZARAGOZA--

A new stadium--> New Romareda

For 2016 Spain will have:

BARCELONA--

2 renewed stadiums--> Camp Nou (More than 98,000)

Olympic Stadium

MADRID--

New stadium--> New Santiago Calderón

A renewed Santiago Bernabeu

BILBAO--

A renewed San Mamés

ZARAGOZA--

A new stadium--> New Romareda

At least 8 stadiums would be needed, as many as 12, but the likely number that Spain woud put forward is 10.

I woud assume these woud be put forward

Spian

Valencia - Nou Mestallia - 75,000

Zaragova - Nueva Ramareda - 43,000

San Sebastian - GipuzkoArena - 42,500

Barcelona - L'Estadi(Camp Nou) - 98,934 (A roof would be nice)

Barcelona - Olimpic Lluis Companys - 56,000

Sevilla - Estadio La Cartuja - 72,000

Madrid - Santiago Bernabeu - 80,354

Madrid - Vicente Calderon - 57,500

Bilbao - Estadio San Mames - 39,750

Eiche - Estadio Martinez Valero - 38,740

France

Paris - Stade de France - 79,959

Paris - Parc des Princes - 48,712

Marseille - Stade Velodrome - 60,031

Montpellier - Stade de la Mosson - 31,250

Toulouse - Stade Minicipal - 36,369

Bordeaux - Stade Chaban Delmas - 34,327

Lyon - Stade de Gerland - 41,184

Nantes - Stade de la Beaujoire - 38,486

Lens - Stade Felix Bollaert - 41,810

Saint-Etienne - Stade Geoffroy-Guichard - 36,000

At least 8 stadiums would be needed, as many as 12, but the likely number that Spain woud put forward is 10.

I woud assume these woud be put forward

Spian

Valencia - Nou Mestallia - 75,000

Zaragova - Nueva Ramareda - 43,000

San Sebastian - GipuzkoArena - 42,500

Barcelona - L'Estadi(Camp Nou) - 98,934 (A roof would be nice)

Barcelona - Olimpic Lluis Companys - 56,000

Sevilla - Estadio La Cartuja - 72,000

Madrid - Santiago Bernabeu - 80,354

Madrid - Vicente Calderon - 57,500

Bilbao - Estadio San Mames - 39,750

Eiche - Estadio Martinez Valero - 38,740

France

Paris - Stade de France - 79,959

Paris - Parc des Princes - 48,712

Marseille - Stade Velodrome - 60,031

Montpellier - Stade de la Mosson - 31,250

Toulouse - Stade Minicipal - 36,369

Bordeaux - Stade Chaban Delmas - 34,327

Lyon - Stade de Gerland - 41,184

Nantes - Stade de la Beaujoire - 38,486

Lens - Stade Felix Bollaert - 41,810

Saint-Etienne - Stade Geoffroy-Guichard - 36,000

Spain can put 2 more stadiums in Seville, Stadium Ramón Sanchéz Pizjuán and Stadium Ruiz de Lopera, both of 55,000. The Olympic Stadium of Barcelona will be renewed for the European Athletics of 2010, as well as the Camp Nou. And Real Madrid will renew also its stadium, as well as San Mames in Bilbao.

So Spain will have 6 renewed stadiums by 2012-2015 and 1 new (Estadio Vincente Calderón in Madrid will disappear and they will built a new stadium).

Ok, since I did kinda do a stadium plan for something similar, I may be able to help here.

Oslo would probably require a new stadium (50,000+)

Trondheim would upgrade the Lerkendal Stadion (would happen anyways with the WOG plans)

Bergen would also require a new stadium (40,000+)

Stavanger would use Viking Stadion which would be upgraded

Goteborg - Nya Ullevi Stadion - would need some upgrades

Solna - Rasunda Stadion (brand new stadium opening next year I think) Nationalarenan

Malmo - new stadium

Stockholm - new stadium, since Solna is where the national team plays

Interesting. Little have leaked out regarding the details of the plans in Norway, but media said that they would be presented to UEFA already in January. The only Norwegian concrete plan for a 30 000 + stadium at present is Lerkendal (Trondheim), which actually is the stadium in Norway that attracts the largest crowds at a regular basis.

Italy would have to get 2014, and Norway would have to drop Olympic assperations.

It is probably unlikely that Norway would give up WOG, the only possibility I see is if the NOC selects Oslo (instead of the other national candidates Trondheim or Tromsø), and the Norwegian government refuse to finance. I believe it is unlikely that the current governement gives thumbs down to a Trondheim or Tromsø candidacy for 2018. This may change, of course, with later governements and possible biddings in 2022 and beyond. Personally, there is no doubt that I would prefer a WOG!

Interesting. Little have leaked out regarding the details of the plans in Norway, but media said that they would be presented to UEFA already in January. The only Norwegian concrete plan for a 30 000 + stadium at present is Lerkendal (Trondheim), which actually is the stadium in Norway that attracts the largest crowds at a regular basis.

Are they really just going to sit back and let Sweden run with the most importent matches, including the finals?

Anyways, I am asuming that the stadiums will be at least 31.000 since that is the demand...

Archived