What Will Happen If It Rains During The Opening?

China Man

Since some of you like hiccups, any thoughts on what can Beijing do if it rains during the Opening? After all, August is the month with the most rain in the city.

The bird nest has no retracting roof! The steel columns are safe though.

Provide free plastic umbrellas for anyone who has a ticket to enter the stadium?

Edited by Mainad

LOL, the host's biggest fear!

The show just goes on. I remember the Sydney Paralympic OC went on in heavy rain. It does put a "dampener" on the spectacle.

Actually, just wondering. It seems the Olympic OCs are usually pretty lucky, weatherwise. Does anyone know when the last time was for a rained-on Olympic opening ceremony?

The show just goes on. I remember the Sydney Paralympic OC went on in heavy rain. It does put a "dampener" on the spectacle.

Actually, just wondering. It seems the Olympic OCs are usually pretty lucky, weatherwise. Does anyone know when the last time was for a rained-on Olympic opening ceremony?

I don't think there's been an Opening Ceremony - Summer or Winter -- in memory that was rained on heavily. Somehow the heavens hold up when an OC is happening. However, in Salt Lake, I believe they had heavy rains up to an hour before showtime, understandably SLOOC feared all their plans would be laid to waste. However, it stopped like 45 mins before; and they proceeded as if nothing had happened.

I believe it was Helsinki 1952. All subsequent summer opening ceremonies had clear skies or at least dry conditions.

Yeah, but after taking a look at Doha (it was spectacular even that some thing couldn't be used because of the rain & high wind) they must be really scared now. I would really put in my mind the idea of realizing the games on September (as the previous asian olympiads like Seoul & Tokyo, for the same reasons).

If they keep thinking that the number eight will bring them always luck, they will get a really nasty surprise, not only for the OC, but also for the rest of the sport events.

To add to what baron said about SLC, I belive that is started to snow toward then end of the Ceremony. Im not 100% sure, but a light snow is nothing really, bad perhaps even good for a Winter OC.

I believe it was Helsinki 1952. All subsequent summer opening ceremonies had clear skies or at least dry conditions.

You're right, Olympian2004. I saw a bit of the Helsinki 1952 opening ceremony footage and I wonder how that guy got those shoes to run on that "muddy track" and carrying that Olympic torch without slipping.

The Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games Closing ceremony took place under torrential rain for the whole ceremony, however this didnt stop the enthusiasm, and the show went on with some stunning sections.

• 2 weeks later...
The Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games Closing ceremony took place under torrential rain for the whole ceremony, however this didnt stop the enthusiasm, and the show went on with some stunning sections.

thats right i was actually watching the closing ceremony of the games the other day (Copying it to dvd lol) and yea it was bloody wet!

that's what happens when you go ooop north

At least we can see where we're going when we want to take a flight somewhere!! :lol:

Anyway, I thought the Chinese authorities had plans in place in terms of artillery firing various chemical mixtures into the clouds and fighter jets on standby to prevent it raining on their parade.

Yeah, supposedly that -- or if I think I know where the Ceremonies folks are headed...I think they will make the heavens 'cry' on cue...