What Will The Halifax 2014 Do When The Bid Is Withdrawn?

jim jones

Toronto 2018 CG bid?

Interesting.

Well if the USA doesn't win the 2016 summer olympics , wouldn't Toronto go for a 2020 summer olympic bid?

(remembering that Tokyo is bidding for 2016, and the fact that USOC may not put forward a bid perhaps)

Would a city council that didn't want to support a 2016 summer bid, and an Expo bid, be interested in hosting an event that would only result in the city getting into debt?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Toronto 2018 CG bid?

Interesting.

Well if the USA doesn't win the 2016 summer olympics , wouldn't Toronto go for a 2020 summer olympic bid?

(remembering that Tokyo is bidding for 2016, and the fact that USOC may not put forward a bid perhaps)

Would a city council that didn't want to support a 2016 summer bid, and an Expo bid, be interested in hosting an event that would only result in the city getting into debt?

Huh? Where did this news comes from? I may have taken a break from these boards, but that is news to me.

Toronto 2018 CG bid?

Interesting.

I think toronto would have to look at a CWGs like melbourne or manhcester would. They have not won the olympics biding so you go thru another route to obtain the proof and the facilities to step up to the summer olympics. Whether it comes very soon is another question venue wise Toronto has a great deal.

The main problem for toronto and ontario in general is dealing with what federal governments have taken away in the past. Myor David Miller's Large concern now is fixing the finances and that can certainly be done by 2010 when you are getting into commonwealth games biding time for 2018.

They are not making pronouncements right now because of halifax and their talks with the federal government over finances for the city proper.

Who knows Toronto may be out of biding on an olympics for 30 years . It would not surprize me. They are the financial capital of canada, they have many headquarters of companies in their city and general area. Continued waterfront development and private parties building sports franchises made be better then going after a 10 to 18 day event. They could get an NFL team at some point and then a superbowl. A superbowl is bigger exposure and is more meaningful for tourism in toronto then a commonwealth games. A superbowl gives a city in north america almost as much exposure as an olympics but of

course not as much world statis. Americans dont have a clue about the commonwealth games but the superbowl is a huge event for them. With a hundred million americans close to southern ontario Americans are what the city of toronto visiting. The summer games of course draw but it is the finances and whether hosting another olympics is in the cards so soon after vancouver. 2020 would be 10 years. calgary to vancouver was 22 years montreal to calgary was 12. At that rate you could be looking at toronto in 2040 or 30 years inbetween.

Who knows where Toronto is going . I could see Nascar stock car racing in southern ontario . NFL and Nascar are annual events and you have a great deal of private investment and american tv exposure. commonwealth games and olympics are heavily dependant on the public side and the commonwealth games may just be an expercise in ramping up for a olympics bid. Toronto might feel it is too big for the event and pass on the thought.

Toronto has however never hosted a sport festival and that may be something a future council wants to do. To me Toronto is on a good course paying attention for bottom line things. Considering the venues then have now and are building they would certainly be in a great position to hold a sports festival.

Beyond the sports venues is their transportation infrastructure which is very good. Toronto is certainly way better off thn New Delhi India LOL.

Toronto might stay out of biding for a commonwealth games also because of Hamilton's closeness and that hamilton is the original host of the games

jim jones

• 3 weeks later...
yes it seems a pro games councillor andrew younger has said the bid will not get past the end of winter with the secrecy the council is having to endure.

Opinions please . willl games supporters commit suicide like the former director of the 2005 fina world aquatics championship did in janaury 2005 or like the brazilian soccer fans did after the 1950 world cup when uraugauy beat brazil 1-0 in rio.

Just wondering

yours respectfully jim boy jones

I wonder what the CITY is being so secretive about....( chime in JEOPARDY MUSIC)....

I remember Hamilton as a little girl it was beautiful then but do not know it now.

Apple good thought on bidding moves...it defies logics..

and I was wondering who bought all the brown lipstick....

G, you bring up a sober point. I truly think some in HRM, I wont name names, think NS folks are stupid.....they just take their time is all... what I do know is when folks feel they were treated like backwater ignarts ......LOOK OUT!

I remeber what happened when BUSH the TUSH came, I was there .... LOL

I can guarantee you that Hamilton will definitely step it up for 2018 if Halifax loses the 2014 bid.

There’s was bitter resentment against the Commonwealth Games Canada when Hamilton lost the 2014 bid when initially they said Hamilton will automatically be the Canadian bid for 2014 then they changed it, thanks to the Sports Canada (government) and opened the bidding process and wham Halifax wins. Yet Hamilton won against all the Canadian bids on the winability factor, basically Commonwealth Games Canada awarded a city with no winability factor, dumb move.

No winabiltiy ehh... well who lost the last Canadain bid?...was not Hamiliton. Why would they pick the same city who lost the last bid?

No winabiltiy ehh... well who lost the last Canadain bid?...was not Hamiliton. Why would they pick the same city who lost the last bid?

And why would you award a bid to a city that has lost the domestic bid three times for lack of facilities while Hamilton has built a facility since their lost to New Delhi?

Halifax did not build one single venue towards the so called goal in the last 20 years they have been biding on the commondebt games.

Yes it is the political game of sending the weakest city for sports infrastructure so you can Aid the Nigerian Bid. Paul Martin has been always interested in forwarding africa and in a backhanded way he gets to play role in that with the 2005 domestic bid for the commonwealth games. Paul Martin also played to some in the Halifax metro region with the BS of regional development. With the regional development thing you also have a desperate set of people blackmailing the local people with the old pitch line of "once in a lifetime opportunity".

That was Paul Martins game and it is also an internal liberal party game with Sheila Copps and Paul Martin as Copps(a former MP for Hamilton) was a Martin detractor and Jean Chretian Supporter. Martins dishonest nature would have him applying the pressure against Hamilton because of his fight with Sheila Copps and

the nomination of Tony Valeri a Martin supporter who took Copps own seat representing the liberals.

Yes Halifax is really winnable with two cities in heavy development for many years of sports facilities and histories of hosting major outdoor sports events in stadiums and venues that actually exist in the real world. Not in the imaginations or the dreams around halifax harbour.

LOL

jim jones

If Halifax's bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games were to be withdrawn, they can go bid for the Pan American Games. I still don't know what Glasgow or Abuja wil do if one of their bids are withdrawn.

Glasgow's and Abuja's bids. I cant see being withdrawn. Both cities have main stadiums, aquatic centres, and another major venues for the sport festivals .

Halifax doesnt and the funding in not there to provide the venues.

jim jones

Glasgow's and Abuja's bids. I cant see being withdrawn. Both cities have main stadiums, aquatic centres, and another major venues for the sport festivals .

Halifax doesnt and the funding in not there to provide the venues.

jim jones

WOW how can such a short post say so much? Jim you cannot possibly work in government. LOLOLOL

Okay I have it...a solution for HRM....

all the provincial/municipal pimps and prostitutes can go down to HOLLIS and make the money honey.....after all they do have more tricks than a two dolla holla..for those using OLD KINGS ENGLISH translation : more tricks than a two dollar whore.....

they should put their 'mouths' to good use if it means that much to them.........lord knows they are already on their knees..;))))

WOW how can such a short post say so much? Jim you cannot possibly work in government. LOLOLOL

Okay I have it...a solution for HRM....

all the provincial/municipal pimps and prostitutes can go down to HOLLIS and make the money honey.....after all they do have more tricks than a two dolla holla..for those using OLD KINGS ENGLISH translation : more tricks than a two dollar whore.....

they should put their 'mouths' to good use if it means that much to them.........lord knows they are already on their knees..;))))

What a terrible thing to say you should kicked off this forum for that.

The moderator has every right to remove anything in violation of TOS.

YESHALIFAX I am shocked that you have not run to the modsquad as you did on that post where you put yout foot in your own mouth....backfired just a wee bit on you....gee that was removed ASAP. Now you are feeling stupid....try not give me so much of YOUR power I do not need it..nor do I want it.

.....I call it as I see it....if it is vulgar it would be the bad company I have been forced to keep since the 1997.....but shoddy distraction, by you , it does not take away from the fact that what I post is true..if you cannot handle the truth report it...if I am banned that is fine ...regardless, the truth remains.......I thought the post was on thr polite side actually....

but tell me one thing..why are you two so easily distracted ......

keep your eye on the goal

wishblade: rapists are very sick people, you are right. sicker than them is those who collude to protect them.

In the future just ignore my posts on this nick or any other I would not want to offend your delicate sensibilities.

I will no longer be charitable here as well.

What a terrible thing to say you should kicked off this forum for that.

Yes what a terrible thing to say about Halifax . A two dollar whore with half its teeth missing and is looking for money for the next crack fix is that what I think you are saying Outraged?

Now the high priced 1000 dollar hookers Joseph Sepp Blatter, the president of FIFA one of the most powerful sports organizations in the world,endorses those http://www.abuja2014.org/Supporters/Endorsements.htm

And why not. Europeans like fresh talent ,well healed HOES, dressed in the very latest of german fashion http://www.fussballtempel.net/caf/NGR/Abuja.html

that haven't been in the business forever with mixed results servicing the blue collar Johns of sports festivals.

World Junior Hockey Championships, World Figure Skating Championships , World Canoeing Championships they are quickies.

The All-African Games really are like a brothel in Marseilles France . The House and the Girls behave, look and act like the girls down the coast from the world finest on the multi million dollar yachts in Monaco Harbour so the customer feels safe and familiar on their day trip seeing something different.

World Juniors well that might as well be the red light district in Tijuana, Mexico on spring break . You would rather forget the experience or never admit it happened even thou you friends have pictures of you making an ass of yourself drunk out of your mind as you sneak down an alley for some 2 peso entertainment with a mexican girl. LOL

No all these cities are not hoes it just so happens that some of the civil officials and bid consultants believe that they are the pimps and that we as common citizens should act like good little whores and not question their authority or what good for us. Got news for you fellows you are not even good pimps because you are not even have us take a bath or dress properly for the job. LOL.

Now if we can all get back to seriously talking beyond the gunter I have done my Hoe talk for the year that basically sums up the situation relating to hoe and sport festivals LOL.

jim jones

The moderator has every right to remove anything in violation of TOS.

YESHALIFAX I am shocked that you have not run to the modsquad as you did on that post where you put yout foot in your own mouth....backfired just a wee bit on you....gee that was removed ASAP. Now you are feeling stupid....try not give me so much of YOUR power I do not need it..nor do I want it.

.....I call it as I see it....if it is vulgar it would be the bad company I have been forced to keep since the 1997.....but shoddy distraction, by you , it does not take away from the fact that what I post is true..if you cannot handle the truth report it...if I am banned that is fine ...regardless, the truth remains.......I thought the post was on thr polite side actually....

but tell me one thing..why are you two so easily distracted ......

keep your eye on the goal

wishblade: rapists are very sick people, you are right. sicker than them is those who collude to protect them.

In the future just ignore my posts on this nick or any other I would not want to offend your delicate sensibilities.

I will no longer be charitable here as well.

What in the are you talking about now anyway. You make absolutely no sense in any of you're post. You sound like a raving mad man or something... man oh man where do these people come from anyway.

What in the are you talking about now anyway. You make absolutely no sense in any of you're post. You sound like a raving mad man or something... man oh man where do these people come from anyway.

So yes Halifax how do you feel about one of the most powerful men in world sports saying Joseph Sepp Blatter president of FIFA saying NO HALIFAX , YES ABUJA. ROTFLMAO

http://www.abuja2014.org/Supporters/Endorsements.htm

Yes it seems to me the madman might be closer to your front door then you think. LOL

jim jones

You know, from now on, I think we should just ignore Jim and his alternate alias Outraged. I think we've all wasted enough of our time on them......since when have we had a constructive conversation?

I agree with you on that. Its funny though even if you ignore them they still relpy to there own posts... its really weird. They really do degrade the spirit of this forum.

You know, from now on, I think we should just ignore Jim and his alternate alias Outraged. I think we've all wasted enough of our time on them......since when have we had a constructive conversation?

Outraged is absolutely not an Alias of Jim Jones Really. Personally Attacking Patrick Murphy the HRM Councillor on charges of sexual assault is not me .

Even If I have over whelming convincing evidence or a friend with that experience I would certainly never air that in a public forum because I cant even recall it

being in print. I know outraged will probably have a fit with mine saying that but that is my stance on it .

I have never heard that and I am actually shocked, really it has nothing to do with the subject matter here. Even if the man did do the deed and he is a pro games supporter I really don't think an alledged incident adds anything to the debate or his blindness to the reality of the total stupidity of the bid.

Now the Kirk Johnson matter ,which is well documented and probably would having a bearing on how some in the developing world would vote, that is totally fair game.

Racial Discrimination in Nova Scotia is well documented and considering that the original home of the first black boxer in the world to hold a world title was right across Halifax Harbour from the Shannon park site in the former settlement of Africaville it is very ironic that this mainly white organization if going around the world thinking that they can convince peoples of color to vote against Nigeria for a city with not even ten percent of Abujas sport infrastructure. George Dixon was The boxer in the 1800's and like the ignorance of people surrounding this forum you probably don't know that fact or about Sam Langford(another great african nova scotian boxer) ranked by Rig Magazine as one of the top ten greatest heavyweight boxers of all time . Sam Langford AKA the Boston Bone Crusher , the Boston Terror , the Boston Tar Baby. Those two nova scotians where are famous in sports in their time as Sidney Crosby is today.

Conduct of a police department in regards to a recognized world athlete is a very different story. I had a traffic stop by the HRM police and didnt have the proper papers but I am white so I could come in the next day with the same car and not suffer the discrimination Kirk Johnson did as a man of color.

Discrimination was found to occur by the human rights commission of nova scotia.

Hey MR. X Sepp Blatter the president of FIFA has a message for you. He in on board with Abuja 2014 with and endorsement and for good reason.

It seems Abuja National Stadium has hosted some matches for african nations play downs for countries to go to the world cup in the past.

Joseph Sepp Blatter say YES ABUJA 2014. That is as good as Mike Fennel and Lamine Diack the president of the IAAF endorsing the bid which they basically have with statements like it Abuja and Nigeria are most then capable and ready to host the commonwealth games.

Actually Sepp Blatter is on the level of Dick Pound or Jacques Rogge of the IOC endorsing

president of Jamaica

president of Grenada

president of Namibia

president of South Africa

president of Sierra Leone

president of Zambia

Chairman of Melbourne 2006 CWGs has endorsed

So far we have an nieve Peter Mac kay and a half hearted endorsement by our Prime Minister

unlike Nigeria's President who lobbies at every opportunity including the 2005 head of commonwealth nations conference in Malta which our former prime minister Paul Martin did not show up for.

jim jones

^ Jim, endorsements are a big deal but not as big of a deal as you make them seem to be.

If Outraged isn't you, then I apologize....but you two do sound really similar. let's have a constructive conversation for a change, please. You can be against the Commonwealth Games, but at the same time you don't have to destroy the spirit and mood of this forum.

Yes what a terrible thing to say about Halifax . A two dollar whore with half its teeth missing and is looking for money for the next crack fix is that what I think you are saying Outraged?

Now the high priced 1000 dollar hookers Joseph Sepp Blatter, the president of FIFA one of the most powerful sports organizations in the world,endorses those http://www.abuja2014.org/Supporters/Endorsements.htm

And why not. Europeans like fresh talent ,well healed HOES, dressed in the very latest of german fashion http://www.fussballtempel.net/caf/NGR/Abuja.html

that haven't been in the business forever with mixed results servicing the blue collar Johns of sports festivals.

World Junior Hockey Championships, World Figure Skating Championships , World Canoeing Championships they are quickies.

The All-African Games really are like a brothel in Marseilles France . The House and the Girls behave, look and act like the girls down the coast from the world finest on the multi million dollar yachts in Monaco Harbour so the customer feels safe and familiar on their day trip seeing something different.

World Juniors well that might as well be the red light district in Tijuana, Mexico on spring break . You would rather forget the experience or never admit it happened even thou you friends have pictures of you making an ass of yourself drunk out of your mind as you sneak down an alley for some 2 peso entertainment with a mexican girl. LOL

No all these cities are not hoes it just so happens that some of the civil officials and bid consultants believe that they are the pimps and that we as common citizens should act like good little whores and not question their authority or what good for us. Got news for you fellows you are not even good pimps because you are not even have us take a bath or dress properly for the job. LOL.

Now if we can all get back to seriously talking beyond the gunter I have done my Hoe talk for the year that basically sums up the situation relating to hoe and sport festivals LOL.

jim jones

Jim you have such a great writing talent..well done and exactly.....;)

Now when you plant your garden in the spring and use your hoe you will smile....fondly....LOL

A two dollar whore with half its teeth missing and is looking for money for the next crack fix is that what I think you are saying Outraged?

Jim you are a literary genius..even I could not have been so......metaphoric...

So yes Halifax how do you feel about one of the most powerful men in world sports saying Joseph Sepp Blatter president of FIFA saying NO HALIFAX , YES ABUJA. ROTFLMAO

http://www.abuja2014.org/Supporters/Endorsements.htm

Yes it seems to me the madman might be closer to your front door then you think. LOL

jim jones

FIFA is a powerful tour de force.....they have history of playing this out intelligently. They are not the least bit beguiled by short skirt worn by toothless crack addicts. LOL

Outraged I am referring to my own ethics not yours. As a Free speaker, Free thought Adam Smith capitalist you can say anything you want in regards to Mr. Murphy.

The judgement was handed down by the human rights commission in regards to Mr. Johnson's case and the police association did not mount an appeal or have that decision overturned.

If I was the leader of a commonwealth games association in the carribbean or africa that decision might be a red flag that would have me vote against halifax.

A sexual assault is another unrelated matter in regards to hosting a commonwealth games.

jim jones

My reply to you was removed as predicted....I will only say that any act that brings the integrity and ethics of any government into discussion IS and will always be relevant.

If citizens are not safe from their own government staff then guests/tourists are most definitely not safe and the recent murder of the USA sailor is further proof positive of that sober fact.

Archived