Canada SkyTrain Line

mr.x

Here is the transit fare zone map:

pic-fare_zone.gif

I see. About 2 years ago, when in Vancouver for a wedding party, I had to ride the Skytrain back to my uncle's place in Surrey from the downtown area. I thought I would never get to experience that because my extended relatives live in such long distances from the Vancouver city center area that using the car was pretty much an imperative. However, seeing that map, it does look like there are so much potential for new Skytrain services to come into play in the future. Of course, that could depend on overall need and logistics to make it possible.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

^ what do you really expect? I like the trains....sure they're different from the ones we are used to, SkyTrain, but these are great as well. Remember that these cars cost significantly less than Bombardier's Mark series.

What I find tragic about Vancouver 2010 is that the architectural legacy is so "inferior" for use of a better word. The only "bearly" promising buliding of architectural interest would be the Richmond rink or whatever it is called. How.............unfortunate.

What I find tragic about Vancouver 2010 is that the architectural legacy is so "inferior" for use of a better word. The only "bearly" promising buliding of architectural interest would be the Richmond rink or whatever it is called. How.............unfortunate.

Yea, but on the plus side we're building our venues much closer to the original budget and on time (all venues two years early before 2010).....compared to the near disasters in Athens and Torino. Athens went way over budget and TOROC nearly went bankrupt.

In many ways, Vancouver's venues are like the Salt Lake venues.....nothing really special, except the speed skating oval. The only thing I don't like about the 2010 facilities is BC Place.....it needs a makeover.

Other than that, the media centre (convention centre) is awesome.

Vancouver 2010 venues are I think a little too simple looking. I think many better designs can be achieved with a little bit more money or even no financial change at all... But one must see that we are on a budget, and a lot of the venues will be converted back to the community, so a striking design in a park with houses around it isn't so much of a good idea (having said that I would prefer a little more stunning designs)...

BC Place is in need of improvement. No discussion about that.

Pics of the tunnel boring machine breaking through at Vancouver City Centre Station (southbound tunnel) this week from the Canada Line website:

853.JPG

http://www.canadaline.ca/uploads/Gallery/856.JPG[/img

The tunnel boring machine began its journey last summer at Olympic Village Station, working itself north towards False Creek and Downtown Vancouver. It moves approximately 10 metres per day, 7 days a week.

Guys, I know this CBC article is mostly talking about Toronto, but what is your mayor and City Hall saying about getting Ottawa to get a national transit strategy and related issues regarding more public transit for Vancouver?

Link: CBC: Public Transit 'Lifeblood' Of Canada's Cities, Mayors Say

^ nothing at the moment, but the city does have a "Ecodensity" plan which basically proposes to densify neighbourhoods particularly around transit and arterial roads. We're running out of space to build, and a city cannot simply be "full". So, the only option is to build up.

Also:

Double transit use by 2020 to meet green goals, TransLink told

William Boei, Vancouver Sun

Published: Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Greater Vancouver needs a massive transit-building program to more than double transit use in the region by 2020 in order to meet the provincial government's greenhouse-gas reduction goals, TransLink directors were told Monday.

Forty per cent of greenhouse gases in the region are generated by transportation, TransLink strategic planning director Clive Rock said.

"We've had discussions with our colleagues in the Ministry of Environment, and it seems an inescapable conclusion that a large part of that provincial goal will have to come from the transportation sector," Rock said.

The province wants to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in B.C. by 33 per cent from current levels by 2020.

Rock said Greater Vancouver transportation produces 5.5 million tonnes of greenhouse gases per year, and in a "business as usual" scenario, that will increase to 6.5 million tonnes by 2020.

To meet the government's goal, he said, a reduction of 45 per cent from the 6.5 million tonnes level will be needed.

Better vehicle technology might provide 10 per cent or so of the needed reduction, he said, but the rest will have to come from people getting out of their cars and using other modes of transportation.

Rock said transit's share of travel in Greater Vancouver will have to increase from 11.5 per cent now to 25 to 30 per cent over 13 years to meet the province's goals.

That's "a phenomenal increase," he said, and would put Vancouver in the same league as transit-oriented European cities such as Helsinki and Amsterdam.

The number of transit trips per year in the region will have to increase from 165 million last year to 400 million by 2020, Rock said.

TransLink chairman Malcolm Brodie agreed that such an infrastructure-building program will cost many billions of dollars.

Brodie said near-term priorities include a major expansion of the bus fleet, building the Evergreen light rail line to the region's northeast sector, planning for an extension of the Millennium SkyTrain line west along Broadway, and replacing or remediating the Pattullo Bridge, "and those are just a few of them. It will be very, very expensive," he said.

Rock's report comes just as Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon is preparing to reveal what changes he will make to TransLink following a governance review and where its money will come from.

"I think now it's time for the provincial government to outline their vision," Brodie said. "And it's going to have to be a very dynamic and bold vision."

Rock said the region will have to adopt much higher population densities along transit routes, which will mean land use changes such as those contemplated by Vancouver's EcoDensity program. It should also consider more incentive programs such as subsidized transit passes as well as road-pricing measures such as tolls, he said.

The region has no choice but to tackle climate change, he added.

"This is actually a trump issue. It trumps all the others."

TransLink has been financially strapped since its creation in 1999, when the NDP government of the day backed away from a controversial vehicle levy that was supposed to fund TransLink.

The agency has limped along with revenue from higher property taxes, fuel taxes, fare increases and a much-hated tax on free parking stalls, but those have never added up to what the vehicle levy would have raised.

bboei@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

Vancouver 98 B-Line bus info signs 'duds'

Last Updated: Thursday, March 8, 2007 | 4:13 PM PT

CBC News

TransLink admits the electronic information signs at stops along a major bus route between downtown Vancouver and Richmond don't work, can't be fixed and could soon be gone.

The digital signs along the 98 B-line between downtown Vancouver and Richmond are supposed to let people waiting at the bus stop know when the next bus will arrive.

The digital bus signs along the Vancouver-Richmond bus route don't work, TransLink officials admit.

(CBC)

The signs, which are linked to a GPS system on the buses, haven't been working for the past week, freezing up and requiring frequent reboots.

"The signs at the bus stops have been duds," said TransLink spokesman Ken Hardie, adding the company that installed the system said it cannot be fixed.

"This system unfortunately just has never worked properly. Siemens has basically thrown up its hands and say they can't make it work."

Hardie said the GPS part of the system is working, and will continue to be used to hold green lights if buses are running late.

Officials haven't decided whether to continue to reboot the signs, or turn them off altogether.

Translink has already spent $30 million for a new system to provide real-time estimates on other major bus routes throughout Greater Vancouver.

It's expected to be installed by August, and Hardie said he is confident the new system will work better than the old one.

Heavy rain and tunnel construction cause massive sink hole and partial closure of Cambie Street

Sunday, March 11 - 04:56:47 PM

Jim Goddard

Vancouver (NEWS1130) - A sink hole opened up at the Canada Line construction site at Broadway and Cambie on Sunday morning due to heavy rains. People walking nearby noticed dirty water spraying up through cracks in the sidewalk and through out the Canada Line construction site.

The Vancouver fire department says that caused a 100-meter by 30-meter hole about seven meters deep. The burst sewer line sent a torrent of smelly water through the Best Thai restaurant.

Right now you still can't get through north or south bound on Cambie between Broadway and Tenth.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems construction has been moving pretty quickly despite the number of storms. Just look at the intersection of Bridgeport and No. 3, the Guideway is already complete. And if you look at the "split/connector" that splits to YVR and Richmond, that's nearly complete. It looks like a large highway interchange LOL. Sorry I have no pics though