Who Will Win 2014 Commonwealth Games

Scotguy

Which city will win 2014?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Abuja
    • Glasgow
    • Halifax

Also you constant drawing to the Stones show in Hali, that's baseless, because it the Stones, for the majority of people living in the city who are around my age, it's a novalty. Kanye West was cool to see, and as always the hip, but people my age go for the party, and well, there are alot better concerts to party at, with better music. Also I kind of feel that 50,000 people in the pouring cold rain is an accomplishment. Mind you there you go twisting logic again...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also you constant drawing to the Stones show in Hali, that's baseless, because it the Stones, for the majority of people living in the city who are around my age, it's a novalty. Kanye West was cool to see, and as always the hip, but people my age go for the party, and well, there are alot better concerts to party at, with better music. Also I kind of feel that 50,000 people in the pouring cold rain is an accomplishment. Mind you there you go twisting logic again...

and 85,000 people went to the moncton show the year before with no discounted tickets for students at the last minute or let people in for free after the box office closed . 45,000 was about the crowd not 50,000 in halifax I was there and i worked on the show. so they had 15,000 tickets or about 25 percent of what they originally issued that did not sell over 2 monthes. moncton had to print more tickets because of the demand. The problem is not that the rolling stones sold less for one year to the other it is the idiot who decided to by the show about 12 monthes after think he would get a big bump for the commonwealth games.

The same metality is wrapped up in the commondebt games.

The country concert in moncton did about the same numbers with less known act , the black eye peas sold out in charlottetown at 32,000.

Now this whole thing about hosting a large concert on the commons guess what. Donald K Donald is not involved. The primary promoter has left the building

after the ok numbers in halifax saving that the expenses are so much higher for a show outside a stadium.

Yes fred mac gillirvay said that halifax would make moncton look small with what halfiax was going to do for tickets on the stones and that he linked to the commonwealth games as well. This is the man who has been promoting the commonwealth games in halifax for about 20 years starting with the domestic bid for the 1994 games.

This is a very good baseline for the arguement , A band that has sold a billion dollars in tickets could only sell 75 percent of what was available in halifax were as the gross revenues for the commonwealth games in the past decade would not even equal 25 percent of what the stones did. Novelity Wow considering the stones broke their own concert ticket sales record which was 350 million dollars at over 500 million for the bigger bang tour it certainly isnt a novelty.

A novelty is a CFL team in halifax. Considering 3 people were the only people Id ed as having enough interest to watch the grey cup this year in all the bars of the HRM. That is a novelity that passed us by decades ago and that fred macgillivray is bent on giving us with a commonwealth games stadium.

jim jones

So you're saying the Olympics are a nothing event? Another reason to dicredit your opinion. The Kirk Johnson issue? He was picked up for driving around with a known drug dealer you frickin dolt! Once agian twisting facts to fit your logic. It's not the games directly you one eyed, reading boob. The world attention it would bring us. You know for a fact that you would never have heard of Lillihammer, or Abduja if it were not for the games. (meaning any international games). Of course Richard Branson would own 49% of Virgin Nigerian Airways, HE OWNS VIRGIN! Man you suck at discussions, you take the obvious and make it seem ground breaking. Why would he want to set up in a region where 2 major national reaching airlines and many regional airlines use a hub. Your negativity here Jim simply shows your hidden fear of your little patch outside of the city loosing its value. You have more to gain if Halifax stays anti-progress, less people live in the city and want to stay out in the country, so you have a bigger bargining chip. You're hidden greed and fear is both tacky and flawed... kind of like your logic. You know I used to think you were the devils advocate, now I just see you as an old man sitting beside a gas guzzling 55 pontiac, complaining the highways aren't getting enough funding, because everybody else is riding the train. If you have such a problem with progress, move to Victoria where you'll fit in. They already had their Commonwealth games, so you don't have to keep playing that old record of yours, and give your arm a rest cranking the gramaphone.

Yes victoria really gained from the commonwealth games . Let me think here . An outdoor velodrome they are talking about tearing down, A stadium that is the same as it was before or after the commonwealth games because they basically used a beazley field grandstand on the university of victoria with temporary stands.

So what airline is canada does richard branson ow any part of ???? you would think ken rowe an english man from halifax would partner with him for just brand value? But like thing is halifax they usually fail. No one rides a train in northern nova scotia LOL. There are none.

World attention how about 30 percent of the world most of whom dont make in a year for GDP per capita what fast freddie mac gillirvay spent on one flight to doha qatar for the asian games. Yeah the fact finding there "gee I liked that closing ceremony , how much did it cost ???" 250 million US . "oh we can handle that in halifax

I will call stevo and johnny knoxville to handle the job with a couple of roman candles." LOL. No I am not playing devils advocate I am completely straight

we have better things to do then take a billion to two billion dollars and throw it in a fireplace. Gee dont you read a news paper your wonder leader actually learned that most of the countries in the commonwealth are developing countries and that their needs are different then the developed countries. Simple thing

like actually have shoes or a uniform . Yeah A couple of million in travel expenses to lobby people wit those means . I m sure they will be making ground breaking deals with the nova scotia economy . The will probably want to dissappear into the crowd at the stadium to declare political refugee status like 19 athletes from sierra leone did in melbourne in march. ROTFLMAO

No the olympics are not a nothing event however the commonwealth games are not the olympics. MAN grab a clue and google it and put down the butter knife you might hurt your grand mother with that thing

jim jones

well lets consider this issue . Nigeria for example stood in solidarity with many of the Africa nations and lead to boycott the Montreal 1976 games against

apartheid in South Africa. Who do you think the africans will stand with a nation they boycotted, Canada, or a nation that lead the boycott against racism Nigeria?

Canada was boycotted by the people who you now try to lobby while one of their own is biding for the games. It may not be totally a vote of african

nations for Abuja but it certainly will be near that. We dont have much in regard to bilaterial relations with africa however the trade links between nigeria and the rest of the developing commonwealth are there. It wasnt Jamiacians or Malasyians beating the crap out of Indians when Gandhi and his people were getting struck by canes by british soldiers.

IT WAS CLEARLY WHITE ANGLO SAXON from the developed so called civilized commonwealth.

Until you walk in a person of colors shoes you really dont know exactly what they think and this crap about Nigeria being an unattractive place as far as the bid.

Well the sidewalks of a downtown that a African American sailor Died arent very attractive either in the eyes of a person of color who just happen to make up the vast

majority of the votes in this contest. Considering the the president of the IAAF has given his endorsement of the abuja bid (a black man from senegal) the presidents of South Africa , Namibia, Zambia, Sierra Leone have sent letters of bid support to the president of Nigeria the way this is going to go is by race like it or not.

Halifax only splits the minority vote with glasgow or a very small part of vote of color that does not vote for abuja. The reason for the IAAF president to give his endorsement is very simple Abuja national stadium is a class A facility for that body and both glasgow and halifax do not have that yet.

jim jones

Well, it looks like the Nigerians have their nose out of joint and feel snubbed by South Africa's World Cup preparations:

South Africa Blacklist Nigeria?

Well, it looks like the Nigerians have their nose out of joint and feel snubbed by South Africa's World Cup preparations:

Well roltel I don't see a quote from a single person in that article so really it is a op ed piece.

If it had a quote from a nigerian official in the government or the sports bodies of the country

then I could see evidence that their noses would be out of joint.

Saying that the circumstances of no nigerians being on the south african committee should upset

some people in nigeria but again it is like the australian bid consultant, unnamed source, a mystery

consultant without a name and no quotes for the parties involved unlike the jack lamley / london 2012 story.

There could be a reason we dont see a person being quoted in regards to this article.

The south africans might have asked these nigeria sportmen and found that they were

too busy with their day jobs or could not make the commitment that the south africans needed.

You might have a case of the south africans have plenty of free capable talent on their board

made up of south african business people and public officials.

IF you filled the positions on the board and the nation hero former batsman for a championship cricket club

was passed over for a nigerian then you have a local political problem.

Also think about the travel commitment involved from nigeria to south africa.

I believe it would be about the distant of Sydney, Australia to Port Moresby, Papau New Guinea

or actually more distant. That is a big commitment for another country's event if you have a wife and kids

on top of working for a corporation in nigeria let alone that these sportmen could be spread all over the

earth to adopted homelands that they spent their professional sports careers with in some cases.

Also people could plain refused if asked as a nigerian living in south african for the simple reason

that they had their sports career and are now into their second career with no turning back to the old

career or anything that has to do with it.

There is more to the story then we can see because it is an opinion editorial piece with no quotes

just the fact that no nigerians are on the board.

No the person whos nose is out of joint is the guy writing the story.

I say this all in a friendly way roltel of course.

By the statement of the minister of sport for south africa it looks like

both countries are in support of each others efforts in different sports festivals and those

are on seperate paths at this time.

Jim jones

Yes victoria really gained from the commonwealth games . Let me think here . An outdoor velodrome they are talking about tearing down, A stadium that is the same as it was before or after the commonwealth games because they basically used a beazley field grandstand on the university of victoria with temporary stands.

So what airline is canada does richard branson ow any part of ???? you would think ken rowe an english man from halifax would partner with him for just brand value? But like thing is halifax they usually fail. No one rides a train in northern nova scotia LOL. There are none.

World attention how about 30 percent of the world most of whom dont make in a year for GDP per capita what fast freddie mac gillirvay spent on one flight to doha qatar for the asian games. Yeah the fact finding there "gee I liked that closing ceremony , how much did it cost ???" 250 million US . "oh we can handle that in halifax

I will call stevo and johnny knoxville to handle the job with a couple of roman candles." LOL. No I am not playing devils advocate I am completely straight

we have better things to do then take a billion to two billion dollars and throw it in a fireplace. Gee dont you read a news paper your wonder leader actually learned that most of the countries in the commonwealth are developing countries and that their needs are different then the developed countries. Simple thing

like actually have shoes or a uniform . Yeah A couple of million in travel expenses to lobby people wit those means . I m sure they will be making ground breaking deals with the nova scotia economy . The will probably want to dissappear into the crowd at the stadium to declare political refugee status like 19 athletes from sierra leone did in melbourne in march. ROTFLMAO

No the olympics are not a nothing event however the commonwealth games are not the olympics. MAN grab a clue and google it and put down the butter knife you might hurt your grand mother with that thing

jim jones

a) Trains don't run because the gov, invested higher dollars into Montreal as it's main continental port. So CN doesn't make nearly the quid here as it does in the Windsor Corridor. So why run a passenger line? Cape Smokey isn't even open anymore. Face it, Canada sees us as the drunk uncle.

B) We need more people in this region, anthing that gets us seen is a good investment, esspecially a games where say India, aka the highest per capita of technically trained workers. And Malaysia, and growing Asian economy, already making huge strides in rubber, and petro-chemicals, you know the industry that Irving is trying to set up in the region?

c) "that most of the countries in the commonwealth are developing countries and that their needs are different then the developed countries." Are you so stupid to be arguing against yourself? What does a developing nation need Jim, to become a developed nation? Technology, products, machinary, etc. you know the things Canada makes everyday. Also that investment package Martin sent in, will have much longer reaching effects than I think you can grasp.

d) Hey if they want to join this country, let them, that's what this place is all about. Somewheres where you can be free. And if play that line off as sappy, I'll find you because I have brothers in the military, and family in the Wars, freedom is not as abundant as everyone thinks.

e) I never said the CWG were the Olympics Jim, you're just twisting things around again to sound right.

f) You don't have a clue (childish, I know)

g) Butter knife? Pansy, I use a Bowie knife to butter my bread baby, I don't eay near my grandmother... I'm the one who has to worry about getting stabbed, she can't even see the plate...

h) I put it in point form so Jim doesn't see "hidden facts" Like me saying the CWG are the Olympics... crazy old Jimma'

ps "But like thing is halifax they usually fail." It's been said before, leave. If you don't like it, and aren't willing to do something, leave. Bantering on like a drunk monkey is useless... actions speak louder than words.

Roltel, do they really have the authority to do that? I think they better let FIFA deal with such grievances. If they were to go ahead with that prematurely, it could backfire and hurt the reputation of South Africa 2010 in the long run. Besides, wasn't the Montreal 1976 boycott caused by NEW ZEALAND's cricket team going to play against South Africa? If so, then it makes me wonder how in the world has a cricket match had to do with the Olympic Movement then, never mind now as the ICC is not an IOC-recognized entity. Never mind, also, that boycotts is now considered out of the question and hurts those who initiated them in the long run. Therefore, I have practically nothing to say about their motives.

Roltel, do they really have the authority to do that? I think they better let FIFA deal with such grievances. If they were to go ahead with that prematurely, it could backfire and hurt the reputation of South Africa 2010 in the long run. Besides, wasn't the Montreal 1976 boycott caused by NEW ZEALAND's cricket team going to play against South Africa? If so, then it makes me wonder how in the world has a cricket match had to do with the Olympic Movement then, never mind now as the ICC is not an IOC-recognized entity. Never mind, also, that boycotts is now considered out of the question and hurts those who initiated them in the long run. Therefore, I have practically nothing to say about their motives.

The Montreal boycott was about the NZ RUGBY team rather than the cricket team.

Otherwise, no, I don't think this is anything official As Jim said, this is really just some opinion writer's views expressed in an op-ed piece. It wouldn't be any official position, just one journo's nose out of joint over a perceived snub. To me, the main thing to come out of it is it shows, though, that "African Solidarity" is hardly as ingrained and solid as often made out _ those guys squabble amongst themselves as much as any area of the world.

Otherwise, no, I don't think this is anything official As Jim said, this is really just some opinion writer's views expressed in an op-ed piece. It wouldn't be any official position, just one journo's nose out of joint over a perceived snub. To me, the main thing to come out of it is it shows, though, that "African Solidarity" is hardly as ingrained and solid as often made out _ those guys squabble amongst themselves as much as any area of the world.

Tells you what I have been going through lately. I thought it was a cricket team, but I really threw myself a curve ball there. Anyway, it seems that all 3 candidate bids have a few skeletons in the closet that are being exposed in various ways. It is almost like the winning bid has to prove the CGF membership that it will promise that it will have to clean up its reputation more rather than promoting future sporting excellence for the host city.

hey roltel we do see eye to and even if I had a long explaintion to the difference with the story. I would tend to jump on that as well if it was actually backed up with a statement from a government official or was actually in a country like canada or australia. I jumped on the sotry about Abuja hosting a National football league game in Abuja national stadium . It turns out the game is all-star players for america college football from colleges that are black. Quite a difference between what newspapers were reporting to what is on the ground with the really story.

I could see someone or a group of people in nigeria being pee oed with the fact of no nigerian board members but again what was available to the south africans. Did they actually ask and were turned down for lack of time commitment from citizen of nigeria even x pat to south africa.

My next door neighboor was a very good ice hockey player with the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1970s for a very short time. He has his college degree in business from a university in the states he attended on a hockey scholarship and is a vice president of a large dairy products company. HE has no time for a local sports committee in a town of 10,000 and my town has co-hosted an under 17 world ice hockey championship. My neighboor wouldnt have the time and probably not the interest let alone traveling what would be new york to los angeles for some other country's sport festival. He was burned by his experience in the pro game with an injury that today would have him not allowed to step foot on the ice. He was pressured to go on by himself and the management and that ended his career because it worsened his injury.

Yes they have their nationalism and differences but they also have some parts of their mindset that say Abuja was partly a mess for the all african games and another part that says "we have been denied the commonwealth games for 80 year" A monoblock group probably not but the only complaint I have seen registered by a african group for Abuja hosting the commonwealth games was an official of a wrestling or boxing federation from malawi and a sign of support for glasgow from malawi. That one nation out of 18 on the african continent. IT all changes with a private vote of course and who can lay an accusing finger at a country for not supporting your bid if they are good politicans with a poker face and a smile. The complaint about Abuja from Malawi actually had a name and a person of some position attached to it. Whether this Malawi official holds enough power to throw their vote elsewhere but Abuja who knows ? It i the same thing with the basketball people in scotland and the threat of voting for halifax or abuja if glasgow does not host basketball in 2014. Really it is a threat with no much bit to it as they dont have a vote.

Jim jones

Yes roltel it was the new zealand rugby team that was the offending party that lead to the 1976 and 1978 boycotts. The new zealand all-blacks

Jonah Loma is on that team now isnt he ????

jim jones

Yes roltel it was the new zealand rugby team that was the offending party that lead to the 1976 and 1978 boycotts. The new zealand all-blacks

Jonah Loma is on that team now isnt he ????

jim jones

The All Blacks ARE the NZ national Rugby team. Lomu has been out for a while _ health problems etc, and while I think he has hoppes of trying to break back in for this year's World Cup, it seems to be a tall order for him.

Rugby in the 197-0s was a powderkeg over the South African issue. South Africa's Springboks had always been one of the great Rugby powers and it was basically the Afrikaaner national game. Both Australia and New Zealand had huge political debates over Rugby tours involving the South Africans, resulting in demonstrations and riots in the streets, but the powers-that-be in both countries tried sticking to the mantra that politics should be divorced from sport _ that is, until the tide turned and they were pretty well forced to bow to public (and Commonwealth) opinion against such links with the Apartheid regime.

Jim, its England biding for 2018, not Great Britain. Don't expect them to use any stadiums in Glasgow, Edinburgh or Belfast.

Great poll....I WANT GLASGOW TO WIN but if Africa wins that is fine by me.......I do not want any GLASGOW GAMES held in ENGLAND. We have our standards yanno...LOL

• 4 months later...
Rugby in the 197-0s was a powderkeg over the South African issue. South Africa's Springboks had always been one of the great Rugby powers and it was basically the Afrikaaner national game. Both Australia and New Zealand had huge political debates over Rugby tours involving the South Africans, resulting in demonstrations and riots in the streets, but the powers-that-be in both countries tried sticking to the mantra that politics should be divorced from sport _ that is, until the tide turned and they were pretty well forced to bow to public (and Commonwealth) opinion against such links with the Apartheid regime.

Not just an issue Down Under either. There was massive controversy over here around the British Lions rugby tours to South Africa in 1974 and 1980. Not only that, but there was also the successful Stop the Tour campaign over the cricket team's tour here in 1970.

I'm calling it the 'Beijing Principle' - though admittedly Halifax took it that logical extra step. Put together a relatively dire looking bid, paint lots of pretty pictures and then act like you are owed!

Now admittedly the good people of Halifax have rightfully realised the Comm Games are a piece of crap from a sporting point of view and just want some bid related drama. Thus they have dropped out - yet I expect a phoenix like rise from the ages in Sri Lanka this November that will score them the win! You heard it here first!

Archived