45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Abuja
    • Glasgow
    • Halifax

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys now is th echance to see who you want to win the 2014 Commonwealth Games

Hey good poll . Not that i dont think scotland does not have the merits. It would probably be the most logical choice. Abuja I think has history on its side with the games never been hosting in africa and the developing commonwealth last rejecting a CWG bid by Lagos for the 1982 games which where held of course in brisbane australia. Kuala Lumpar, New Delhi beating old commonwealth entries speaks to the view of the majority in the developing commonwealth who have the majority of votes.

I say abuja but I would not mind glasgow as they would probably do the best job at it.

jim jones

Glasgow is the obvious choice, but it doesnt mean its going to win (Toronto 2008). Abuja will be right up there despite being in quite a weak position. Africa being snubbed so much by the CWF will work for it.

I really dont see Halifax playing that much of a role. Although it would be a great host i feel its just making up the numbers this time around.

• 3 weeks later...

interesting that abuja has come up to match halifaxs numbers but glasgow is way out in front among the viewers here.

Glasgow has the most stability for building the infrastructure by a mile and things seem to be falling into place with inpressive

corporate sponsorship. O2 , Clydesdale bank, and other heavy hitters in industry in the UK. Clydesdale Bank with 120 million canadian into the main capital project speaks volumes to the Glasgow 2014 organization. That may trump votes from african nations who were solicated for votes for Abuja. Stabibiltiy as opposed to a past experience may work in favour of glasgow.

Halifax well a couple of pollsters, with conflict of interests, a beer company with a half hearted attempt at sposnorship and a business support group created by a pollstar claiming to have conducting a poll saying 81 percent of nova scotians supports the games bid. SAD very SAD indeed. The mayor has said that they cant afford to met the feds largest level of commitment to the games at 400 million as games funding is a shared responibility with the public sector being a 33 percent split between the three levels of government. Considering New Delhi is at 1.35 billion dollars canadain wi th stadiums on the ground it is realy delusional thinking that the games in halifax will not break 1.2 billion or beyond the means of the city for their 33 percent share.

Abuja not much known but the state of the art facilities are all in place made by top tier german companies for the all-african games in 2003.

Abuja seems to be on the Seoul, South Korea path to hosting international multi=sport events. Slow and calculating. I read that their national stadium had prep work by one german contractor as early as 1997. I somehow doubt the nigerians are that forethinking in their approach, as stadium consturction started in 2000,

because of their past experience with government.

The big question mark of course is if highest population within an africa country can keep things together. The big climb will be the federal elections in nigeria next year. localized crimmial activity I dont buy as a cause to hinder a games bid. Montreal was in the grips of the FLQ crisis in 1970 when they were awarded . The IRA was very much a factor in great britian when scotland hosted the cWGs in 1970 and 1986. The handing over of government in nigeria is the biggest issue they face right now.

jim jones

Who would I like to see win? = Halifax

Who do I think is going to win? = Abuja.

good one

Who has more chance of winning via positives = Glasgow

Abuja has a bit of guilt factor and developing world backing of course. Will it carry the day perhaps. Voting against the devil you know as opposed to the devil you know a little about may be the way things go with developing nations votes.

The best bid campaign is Glasgows hands down.

Very good public support locally.

Good use of resources

Communicating with the stakeholders

Fantastic corporate partnership locally

The Facilites getting go aheads with city and nations funding with 60 percent coming form the private sector. There is minimual chance of cost overruns for the SECC arena complex.

If Abuja was to pull out now this would not even be a contest. The vote for glasgow would be higher then the votes for delhi in the last biding round.

I would say 50 to 60 votes in favour of glasgow over halifax. Halifax might get carribean votes and canadas but that amounts to a mere 15 votes for the americas and i would not count on all those votes going to halifax at all.

That is why the Halifax bid is so off base in the way that some people actually beleive halifax this against two serial sport festival builders and hosters LOL.

jim jones

Well, I believe that Halifax is the dark horse, but it have a chance. Altought Glasgow has the best technical bid, it is about time either Africa host, or that Canada host for the first time. African's vote will probably go to Abuja (Well, as long as South Africa of another African country plan to bid for 2018...). Same for the votes of the other U.K. nations, they might not vote for Glasgow if they are preparing a bid soon. For Halifax to win, they need to get the Carabians vote and the Oceanic vote, and try to get some votes from Europe, Africa and Asia.

Difficult? Of course. Far fetch? Maybe. Impossible? No way!

Well, I believe that Halifax is the dark horse, but it have a chance. Altought Glasgow has the best technical bid, it is about time either Africa host, or that Canada host for the first time. African's vote will probably go to Abuja (Well, as long as South Africa of another African country plan to bid for 2018...). Same for the votes of the other U.K. nations, they might not vote for Glasgow if they are preparing a bid soon. For Halifax to win, they need to get the Carabians vote and the Oceanic vote, and try to get some votes from Europe, Africa and Asia.

Difficult? Of course. Far fetch? Maybe. Impossible? No way!

impossible is in the eye of the beholder of course. nothing is really impossible. The odds are hard with the recent history of old commonwealth canidate cities going down to new or developing commonwealth cities. Will the Carribean , Guyannain and Belize vote go towards Abuja with peoples of african desent supporting an african bid ? Hard to say . It could split. a split however adds in favour for Abuja if they carry all the african votes. They would not be too far away with a first round majority over the other two cities If they split Oceanea , Asia and the Americas outside of Canada they have it first round. The only way I see Abuja being defeated is head to head with only one canidate city against them as votes for Halifax and Glasgow will be split from a base in the old commonwealth countires. You have one canidate from the developing commonwealth and two from the developed commonwealth. The developing commonwealth has a greater majority of the membership. with the reading of the tea leaves I can still see a Malta,who made noises about the shooting events in glasgow and canadas prime minsiter being a no show to the last commonwealth submit in malta, voting for abuja. IF anything Martin's move last year could have been a push towards Abuja or glasgow for many. Scott Logans (ceo of the halifax 2014 committee) out of context to the scottish press and the feral boys documentary prensented on CBC could be a shutt out situation for Halifax for any possible european votes. Canadas foot dragging for a TV right package for melbourne certainly did make friends Australia either for a Halifax bid. foriegn policy and objectives in trade relations for a canadain government now may go counter to the commonwealth.

I have found in my research that developing commonwealth countries have some interesting bilaterial trade arrangements between each other and Nigeria has a few of those. Malasyia-Nigeria, Guyanna- Nigeria and India- Nigeria. You then have a relationship with nigeria and brunei because of OPEC membership.

It is all interesting conversation of course. The links between nigeria and some of these countries go beyond a simple developing world thinking that may be based on the color of skin. It may be a case of trading with peoples of a common history but keeping the old colonial masters out of the picture.

jim jones

I worked with the Hamilton 2010 bid team and the things we did to get Caribbean’s votes I would say are pretty scandalous. Yet at the end we didn't get Caribbean’s votes, they all went to New Delhi. Even if we did get the Caribbean’s votes it wouldn't have made a difference mostly because of the solid African support for New Delhi. They want something in return for 2014 me thinks.

So really Halifax has a massive up hill battle to gain Caribbean’s votes.

I worked with the Hamilton 2010 bid team and the things we did to get Caribbean’s votes I would say are pretty scandalous. Yet at the end we didn't get Caribbean’s votes, they all went to New Delhi. Even if we did get the Caribbean’s votes it wouldn't have made a difference mostly because of the solid African support for New Delhi. They want something in return for 2014 me thinks.

So really Halifax has a massive up hill battle to gain Caribbean’s votes.

Halifax's problem for votes from the carribbean goes beyond Abuja, Nigeria or any other commonwealth nation biding on the games from the developing world.

The Kirk Johnson Racial profiling incident by the Halifax Regional Police would porivde a great reason for any nation of color to deny sending their athletes into a city who's police association would not acknowledge the wrong doing even with human rights commission for the province of nova scotia finding in favour of Kirk Johnson a World ranked Heavyweight Boxer. 10 grand , Mr. johnsons legal fees payed and an apology from the chief of police who didnt personally stop Mr. Johnson but is still in command of the very police department found guilty of racial profiling. On Top of that the provincial police association denies there was racial profiling after the human right commission awards Kirk Johnson a judegment???

Stuff like that with a high profile black canadian athlete is not soon forgotten and I am sure the carribean community around canada will and has reminded the people in the Carribean of Halifax's treatment of a native son who is only being esclipsed by Sidney Crosby as far as local athletes go. It could very well be that Carribean votes would go to anybody but Halifax on the Kirk Johnson thing alone.

Hamilton in 2003 didnt have a racial profiling case in its recent past for a black athlete hanging around its neck and as you say Apple the carribbean vote went to New Delhi in 2003 despite huge insentives. Asia will pay back Africa for 2003 no doubt about it. The bilaterial trade between africa and asia is well in place on the business front. The relationship between india and nigeria is well established. globacom the nigerian cellphone company is establishing cellphone infrastructure in india. After the all-african games in 2003 it was India that flew athletes to India for the afro-asian games there.

jim jones

In the end, when it comes to Canada, will it help its summer athletes out? The COC, in which I think the Commonwealth Games Canada people have to answer to, is where the crux of the matter takes place. When you get some of our swimmers, track and field athletes, and others complaining about the way they have been treated recently by the COC, it resonates for a few years. Never mind how the Commonwealth Games itself is being seen by Canadians, judging by the way we almost never got any coverage of Melbourne 2006. Unless there is a clear direction on how the summer athletes are to be helped in the future, these divisions will continue onward.

In the end, when it comes to Canada, will it help its summer athletes out? The COC, in which I think the Commonwealth Games Canada people have to answer to, is where the crux of the matter takes place. When you get some of our swimmers, track and field athletes, and others complaining about the way they have been treated recently by the COC, it resonates for a few years. Never mind how the Commonwealth Games itself is being seen by Canadians, judging by the way we almost never got any coverage of Melbourne 2006. Unless there is a clear direction on how the summer athletes are to be helped in the future, these divisions will continue onward.

The thing is I would much rather see a good living wage for athletes in amatuer athletics then multi million dollar stadiums where they are not needed.

the funding is terrible in canada and it would be more cost effective for nation pride to have our athletes performing very well. You dont have much of a legacy

and building of talent when you spend money on a commonwealth games for lawn bowls, netball and rugby sevens which are not IOC events. Facilites dont make athletes coaching and the athletes themselves do it . The thing about montreal was that those facilites didnt provide us with the track stars from the mid 80s to atlanta. Donovan Bailly training in texas like many of the track stars of that era.

Canada has to have a centralized approach like the united states with national training centers. Despite the calgary oval people like dan jansen and bonnie blair did without the state of the art facility in milwaulkie. Of course the US did eventually go with putting them indoors but it is the coaching in that area that i the key. We would not have the success in winter sports if it was for calgary but that was a well defined organizing committee who id very well.

Until you can get away from the emotional blackmail of we need to host a games to provide facilites then we will be at the will of bureaucrates.

Rational directed policy is the way. hosting when it is to our advantage or under our terms is the smart thing to do.

jim jones

good one

Who has more chance of winning via positives = Glasgow

The best bid campaign is Glasgows hands down.

Yes it is a good one. But not for the reasons above.

It's funny/ ironic because I'm from the UK, and I don't my home bid to win.

The reason being that if Glasgow wins the 2014 commonwealth games, it may intefere with Englands bid to host the 2018 FIFA world cup.

Some people in the international community may feel that that by hosting the 2012 olympics, 2019 Cricket world cup, and 2 commonwealth games 12 years apart- Manchester 2002 and Glasgow 2014, the UK is getting too many sporting events.

This may tilt FIFA members away from voting for an England 2018 bid.

This is why I hope Glasgow does not win 2014.

I don't want England to host the 2015 Rugby World cup either- because of the same reasons described above.

Yes it is a good one. But not for the reasons above.

It's funny/ ironic because I'm from the UK, and I don't my home bid to win.

The reason being that if Glasgow wins the 2014 commonwealth games, it may intefere with Englands bid to host the 2018 FIFA world cup.

Some people in the international community may feel that that by hosting the 2012 olympics, 2019 Cricket world cup, and 2 commonwealth games 12 years apart- Manchester 2002 and Glasgow 2014, the UK is getting too many sporting events.

This may tilt FIFA members away from voting for an England 2018 bid.

This is why I hope Glasgow does not win 2014.

I don't want England to host the 2015 Rugby World cup either- because of the same reasons described above.

Interesting point and hey the CWG's are not the prize a Fifa world cup is. Considering Old Trafford , Hampden Park and Imbrox are the only Five Star Uefa Venues in Great Britian right now the opportunity is there. I am sure the new Wembley will be Fiver star UEFA as well. with four venues o that tuff classification standard Great Britian would equal the amount germany used last year for world cup 2006. Germany has 5 five star uefa facilities but they did not use the munich summer games stadium. I think that hosting the world could come to england in 2014 with the sounds that are coming out of the president in regards to brazils bid. Brazil could host in 2018 . The pattern seems to be europe every two hostings. With the last time enlgand hosting being 1966 they are certainly due.

jim jones

Jim, its England biding for 2018, not Great Britain. Don't expect them to use any stadiums in Glasgow, Edinburgh or Belfast.

Interesting point and hey the CWG's are not the prize a Fifa world cup is.

Exactly. England has a strong bid for the 2018 World Cup.

Hosting the FIFA World Cup is what England really wants, it would mean more to the general public than hosting the 2012 summer olympics, even.

Things are looking good for an England bid:

1) The Hooliganism problem has vastly improved. For 2006 the England bid was destroyed by hooliganism, but the English fans have improved vastly and the authorities here have really clapped down on the troublemakers, and really co-operated well with the German Police during 2006.

2) The stadiums are better standard than in 2006. England has the following to offer: Wembley (90,000), Twickenham (82,000), London Olympic Stadium (80,000), Old Trafford (76,000), Emirates Stadium (60,000), Stanley Park (60,000- Liverpool's new home), Birmingham City stadium (55,000- new home for Birmingham city), St.James park (52,000), Villa park (51,000- soon to be extended), City of Manchester stadium (48,000), Stadium of light (48,000), Stamford Bridge (42,500) and many more 40,000 + stadiums.

It'll probably be China vs. England for 2018. If China get it, that's fair enough, I can understand that, given the huge 1 Billion + market for them to tap into.

Hopefully America and Australia will be also. They will drop out sooner, as there is no way FIFA will go for 3 consecutive Southern Hemisphere countries (if S.America is to host 2014). America is too soon since 1994, and besides this time they're not up against Morocco, there's proper competiton.

2014 Commonwealth games? 2015 Rugby World cup ? No thankyou......

Good Luck Abuja.

Interesting point and hey the CWG's are not the prize a Fifa world cup is.

Hosting the FIFA World Cup is what England really wants, it would mean more to the general public than hosting the 2012 summer olympics, even.

1) The Hooliganism problem has vastly improved. For 2006 the England bid was destroyed by hooliganism, but the English fans have improved vastly and the authorities here have really clapped down on the troublemakers, and really co-operated well with the German Police during 2006.

2) The stadiums are better standard than in 2006. England has the following to offer: Wembley (90,000), Twickenham (82,000), London Olympic Stadium (80,000), Old Trafford (76,000), Emirates Stadium (60,000), Stanley Park (60,000- Liverpool's new home), Birmingham City stadium (55,000- new home for Birmingham city), St.James park (52,000), Villa park (51,000- soon to be extended), City of Manchester stadium (48,000), Stadium of light (48,000), Stamford Bridge (42,500) and many more 40,000 + stadiums.

It'll probably be China vs. England for 2018. If China get it, that's fair enough, I can understand that, given the huge 1 Billion + market for them to tap into.

Hopefully America and Australia will be also. They will drop out sooner, and England will pick up thier votes.

There is no way FIFA will go for 3 consecutive Southern Hemisphere countries (if S.America is to host 2014). America is too soon since 1994, and besides this time they're not up against Morocco, there's proper competiton.

Good Luck Abuja.

Do understand thoroughly that it is, most certainly, NOT in the best interest of such a "growing-in prestige" event as the Commowealth Games to resort to the small maritime fishing village of Halifax to be seen or appreciated. Abuja, irrespective of the fact that the Commonwealth games (in very recent years) has gone with the exotic (Delhi 2010), will NOT be chosen because it would be seen as an "impractical" choice at this time. Therefore, correct in such discussions as I usually am, I would like to be the very first to offer my warmest heartfelt congratulations to the city of Glasgow scotland. Your victory was planned all along.

The Imperial

Ruling Czar

Saying Halifax is a small maritime fishing village shows that you probably know nothing of the place, and to make a statement like Abuja is seen as "impractical" at this time without stating why you believe so just makes your statements dismissable. I do respect your opinion as I would anyone elses, but to be so sure of a Glasgow victory is a little premature in my honest opinion. Anything can happen right up to the day of decision.

Hopefully America and Australia will be also. They will drop out sooner, and England will pick up thier votes.

There is no way FIFA will go for 3 consecutive Southern Hemisphere countries (if S.America is to host 2014). America is too soon since 1994, and besides this time they're not up against Morocco, there's proper competiton.

Good Luck Abuja.

Personally I can see the fifa world cup going to England whether it is 2014 or 2018 with a trade for brazil to host in 2018 . the United states figures very big into Fifas plans and I would not be surprized if you saw the United States in 2014 replacing south america. The ESPN / ABC deal is the largest tv deal for Fifa and it can get very much larger because it is about 33 percent of the IOC /NBA deal. Espn/ABC will not get the olympics away from NBC but they can hurt ABC in the olympic year with the wrold cup. The grwoing hispanic population in the united states is providing profits and growth for advertizers in america. Takin it back to america in 20 years after the united states hosted could actually be of huge benefit for european, south american and other host continents.

The americans have the most money and the room to grow that package after all ESPN ABC is owned by the disney corporation. Who knows mickey mouse could be pitching a Fifa world cup when it is held in america which I think will not be 30 years inbetween hostings.

jim jones

Saying Halifax is a small maritime fishing village shows that you probably know nothing of the place, and to make a statement like Abuja is seen as "impractical" at this time without stating why you believe so just makes your statements dismissable. I do respect your opinion as I would anyone elses, but to be so sure of a Glasgow victory is a little premature in my honest opinion. Anything can happen right up to the day of decision.

Halifax is a small city in canada without a stadium or facilites but they do have Clearwater Fine Foods who exports lobster all over the world from the fishing villages of sambro and eastern passage in the halifax regional muncipality. THERE I told him Wishblade

LOL

Government jobs , government jobs and government jobs. Halifax is . That and web designers, graphic artists all whom work for imigrant entrepreneurs like Ken Rowe

Richard Homberg and many others. LOL

Either Abuja or Glasgow will win despite a internet news service in halifax that thinks glasgows bid is in danger becuase they may not have basketball.

How about halifax with no stadium , aquatics centre, velodrome??? and the most important thing a blank cheque from the other levels of government.

abuja 100 percent funding for their federal government, glasgow 80 percent funding from their federal government, halifax 35 percent federal funding with a 396.5 million dollar cap.

Jim jones

Halifax is a small city in canada without a stadium or facilites but they do have Clearwater Fine Foods who exports lobster all over the world from the fishing villages of sambro and eastern passage in the halifax regional muncipality. THERE I told him Wishblade

LOL

Government jobs , government jobs and government jobs. Halifax is . That and web designers, graphic artists all whom work for imigrant entrepreneurs like Ken Rowe

Richard Homberg and many others. LOL

Either Abuja or Glasgow will win despite a internet news service in halifax that thinks glasgows bid is in danger becuase they may not have basketball.

How about halifax with no stadium , aquatics centre, velodrome??? and the most important thing a blank cheque from the other levels of government.

abuja 100 percent funding for their federal government, glasgow 80 percent funding from their federal government, halifax 35 percent federal funding with a 396.5 million dollar cap.

Jim jones

Why do you bother with preaching the same points over and over and over? Im not going to make a statement on this because you already know what I would say.

Archived