Europe Games?

Well, the America's have the Pan Ams, the Africans have the all African Games, and the Asians have the Asiad. Now obviously an Oceania Games is pointless as Australia (and NZ) would wipe the floor against such competition as Tuvalu and Kiribati...

However why isnt there a Euriad? Euro Games? I am curious...

Maybe they should start one - Paris could finally win a bid!

I don't know why we in Europe don't have continental Games. But honestly, I'm quite glad about that we don't have any. We have European Championships for every sport beside the World Champs and then Olympic Games every four years (respectively two years) one can look forward to. I guess it would spoil the importance of the Olympic Games if we in Europe had a rivalling event -- and maybe it wouldn't fit in the schedules of many athletes so that they would simply stay away from such European Games. Remember: The European members of the Commonwealth would have an especially severe burden by having to attend two non-Olympic Games then.

The proliferation of world championships, world cup events,etc. make it hard on the existing regional games. The Pan Am Games, for example, always seems to take place around the time of the FINA and IAAF World Championships and the quality of the fields in those sports seems lacking. US TV doesn't even consider the Pan Am Games worth televising anymore. A Euro Games would be a neat concept, but it isn't practical in todays sporting calendar.

Oceania has the South Pacific Games to be held in Samoa in 2007, with the exclusion of Australia and New Zealand, these Games are the most "revered" within the Oceania community with countries such as Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands etc sending up to 400 athletes to the Games.

They are VERY important to the sporting community of Oceania

Isn't the European continent the "most sporting one" in the world? Like, it is has so many members of these international sporting federations and their main international events and hosted so many of them that I think a "European Games" is not necessary.

And, don't forget for the first post, there is the Afro-Asian Games that has countries between the continents of Africa and Asia only competing against each other, too, like the way the All-Africa Games and the Asian Games operate.

From I know, Valencia was trying to create the European Games, but the IOC must have rejected the idea. Valencia wanted to be the first host city of that Games.

So they were trying to create a European Games under the IOC's name?

So they were trying to create a European Games under the IOC's name?

Yes, Valencia asked for the IOC to be the first host city of the European Games in 2010, Valencia already had a budget ready for those Games.

Yes, Valencia asked for the IOC to be the first host city of the European Games in 2010, Valencia already had a budget ready for those Games.

the european olympic committees said that they don´t want those "eurogames"...

Canada competes in the Francophone Games, the Commonwealth Games, the Pan Am Games and the Olympic Games. We compete in the most I believe.

The Pan Ams are important in team sports, in that they qualify volleyball, field hockey and basketball easier then the tournements.

Don't forget the Mediterranean Games too.

For me it just didn't happen in the past. If someone organized them in 1920 then we would had the Eurogames, but no one though about them.

By the way what happened to the 'Goodwill Games'?

The Goodwill Games went the way of the dodo bird, shall we say. After the 2001 event in Brisbane, it couldn't float anymore financially and morally. Ted Turner had his part of his empire sold to TIME/Warner then and it didn't want anything to do with a lost venture. Therefore, the Goodwill Games died with a wimper. Even though it has died, the rumors about the IOC "blacklisting" the cities that have hosted them seems to have persisted. I don't know if this is true, but the cities that hosted the Goodwill Games has not been able to get to host the Olympiad yet.

Even though it has died, the rumors about the IOC "blacklisting" the cities that have hosted them seems to have persisted. I don't know if this is true, but the cities that hosted the Goodwill Games has not been able to get to host the Olympiad yet.

I rather guess that this is simply a coincidence. Or why should the IOC want to boycott all those cities? What's wrong about hosting the Goodwill Games?

..the rumors about the IOC "blacklisting" the cities that have hosted them seems to have persisted. I don't know if this is true, but the cities that hosted the Goodwill Games has not been able to get to host the Olympiad yet.

fair enough.. there's only one olympiad! :angry:

I rather guess that this is simply a coincidence. Or why should the IOC want to boycott all those cities? What's wrong about hosting the Goodwill Games?

You see, the Goodwill Games was started by Ted Turner amidst the IOC boycott turmoil with Moscow 1980 and Los Angeles 1984. There was rumors going around, from ambitious people of all stripes at the time, that the Olympic Movement should not be the only one "controlling multi-sport international events." Therefore, Moscow became the first city to host the Goodwill Games in 1986. Remember, all of this was occuring under the watch of former IOC president Samaranch. Being who he was, with some posts made by some of us here in the past, you can bet that he did not like the idea at all. Chief suspicion amongst all that was the thinking that Ted Turner was doing it for "personal profit" and "trying to destroy the ideals of the Olympic Movement and the IOC" in the process. So, the rumors of the "blacklist" began. Do not forget, the IOC did had one threat like this before, but I'm not sure of the whole details of it. Samaranch was not going to have that occur again.

Personally, what was ironic about all of this was where the Goodwill Games was said to have been HQed. Guess where? It is no other place than ATLANTA. You know, the host city of the 1996 OLYMPIC GAMES!! Also, you know, that very Games that quite a few of us have major exceptions on how the Olympic Games should be run. Man, talking about "killing two birds with one stone."

Canada competes in the Francophone Games, the Commonwealth Games, the Pan Am Games and the Olympic Games. We compete in the most I believe.

Nope , Malaysia and Singapore compete in 5

*Olympics

*Afro-Asian Games

*Commmonwealth

*Asian

*South East Asian

Nope , Malaysia and Singapore compete in 5

*Olympics

*Afro-Asian Games

*Commmonwealth

*Asian

*South East Asian

Well, not known very well to Canadians, but I think just the province of PEI alone has athletes compete in the Island Games. For those wanting to know what in the world is these Games, I'll tell you. It is the "Olympic Games for the island "nations" of the world." If you think those British overseas territories only compete as "independent nations" in the Commonwealth Games, you are sadly mistaken. They compete in these Games as well as such teams, too. Since the International Games Archive went bye-bye, I don't know if these Games are still continuing. I will have to check on that.

Speaking of islands, don't forget that Europe has its distinct international Games called the "Games Of The Small States of Europe" or what else it is worded.

You forgot:

- the Gay Games

- the Paralympics

- the Gay Paralympics

- the Maccabiah Games

- the Gay Maccabiah Games

- the Gay Paralympic Maccabiah Games

You forgot:

- the Gay Games

- the Paralympics

- the Gay Paralympics

- the Maccabiah Games

- the Gay Maccabiah Games

- the Gay Paralympic Maccabiah Games

Actually I did forget one, the Arctic Winter Games

Speaking of what I found about the Island Games, I did. Here are the links:

1. Official Island Games Website

2. Official Rhodes 2007 Island Games Wesite

Also, these "national entities" are in these Games, but I thought they had much more participants than this before:

- ALAND (Finland)

- ALDERNEY (part of Guernsey)

- BERMUDA

- CAYMAN ISLANDS

- FALKLAND ISLANDS (British overseas territory)

- FAROE ISLANDS (part of Denmark)

- FROYA (part of Norway)

- GIBRALTAR (British overseas territory)

- GOTLAND (part of Sweden)

- GREENLAND (Danish overseas territory)

- GUERNSEY (British overseas territory)

- HITRA (part of Norway)

- ISLE OF MAN (British territory)

- ISLE OF WIGHT (British territory)

- JERSEY (British territory)

- MINORCA (Spanish territory)

- ORKNEY (British territory)

- PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND (province of Canada)

- RHODES (part of Greece)

- SAAREMAA (part of Estonia)

- SARK (part of Guernsey)

- SHETLAND (British territory)

- ST. HELENA (British overseas territory)

- WESTERN ISLES (British territory)

- YNYS MON (British territory)

And, yes, some of them even have their individual "national" flags.

Speaking of what I found about the Island Games, I did. Here are the links:

1. Official Island Games Website

2. Official Rhodes 2007 Island Games Wesite

Also, these "national entities" are in these Games, but I thought they had much more participants than this before:

- ALAND (Finland)

- ALDERNEY (part of Guernsey)

- BERMUDA

- CAYMAN ISLANDS

- FALKLAND ISLANDS (British overseas territory)

- FAROE ISLANDS (part of Denmark)

- FROYA (part of Norway)

- GIBRALTAR (British overseas territory)

- GOTLAND (part of Sweden)

- GREENLAND (Danish overseas territory)

- GUERNSEY (British overseas territory)

- HITRA (part of Norway)

- ISLE OF MAN (British territory)

- ISLE OF WIGHT (British territory)

- JERSEY (British territory)

- MINORCA (Spanish territory)

- ORKNEY (British territory)

- PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND (province of Canada)

- RHODES (part of Greece)

- SAAREMAA (part of Estonia)

- SARK (part of Guernsey)

- SHETLAND (British territory)

- ST. HELENA (British overseas territory)

- WESTERN ISLES (British territory)

- YNYS MON (British territory)

And, yes, some of them even have their individual "national" flags.

Gibraltar is an island???? :)

Archived