BC Place - not so shabby afterall?

Kenadian

There's great atmosphere in the capacity stadium right now for the Grey Cup.  They turned the lights off for the half-time show, and had spotlights, fireworks, and lasers .......... quite awesome.  I can imagine the ceremonies five years from now, sparkling lights on the roof lines, 360 degree projection, projection on the roof ........... it'll be great.

Don't obsess over it.  The Olympic Charter says the flame must be visible to everyone in the stadium and if possible should be visible from outside as well.  With its roof, BC Place won't allow that...but it is no biggie.  They won't strip the Games from Vancouver because of that.  The flames from Montreal and Seoul were not visible from outside either.  And who knows, Torino may not either.  Their stadium has a large uninterupted awning around it as well.

They should remove that ugly roofing from BC Place. Having the city line view and mountains in sight with the open roof and the flame visible to anyone in the city would be amazing.

yeah, but who would pay?  and remember, it's gonna be February; it'll likely rain.

the interior of the stadium wasn't built for the outdoors.

They should remove that ugly roofing from BC Place. Having the city line view and mountains in sight with the open roof and the flame visible to anyone in the city would be amazing.

yeah, but who would pay?  and remember, it's gonna be February; it'll likely rain.

the interior of the stadium wasn't built for the outdoors.

Well I guess it'll need major renovations then

Not in the plans, stan.  I know you are used to seeing things a certain way based on past Games, but the roof means that Vancouver 2010 will have to be different.  So my advice?  Instead of worrying about the Olympic flame not being visible as you drive over Cambie Bridge, embrace the fact that this will be something different and unique.

I loved the half time show of the Grey Cup with the Black Eyed Peas. It was very Super Bowl like, however it was disappointing that the crowd wasn't really into the performances, hence the lack of video of the spectators.

Louroz

I loved the half time show of the Grey Cup with the Black Eyed Peas. It was very Super Bowl like, however it was disappointing that the crowd wasn't really into the performances, hence the lack of video of the spectators.

Louroz

funny how that was the same reaction the crowd had for Avril Lavigne and Sum 41 during the Concert for Tsunamis Relief at GM Place earlier this year.

Seriously, the BEP's were a bad choice to entertain the crowd.  Having spent the weekend tripping over drunken Grey Cup fans all over downtown Vancouver, they would have been more likely to rock out to Shania Twain or BNL than a hip hop group.

At least, the field will have to get the Vancouver 2010 logo on it sometime just before the Games. Calgary had its Olympic logo on the McMahon Stadium field in 1987 during that CFL season.

Rice Eccles - built in 1927 - 45,000 seats - Olympic renovation budget was CAN$61 million.

Stadio Communale - built in 1934 - 27,000 permanent seats - Olympic renovation budget was CAN$28.5 million.

B.C. Place Stadium - built in 1983 - 60,000 seats - Olympic renovation budget is set at CAN$3.5 million.

VANOC:

0,10114,5017266,00.jpg

Where do you get that figure from?  Please don't tell me the bid book.

well actually, yes, but the thing is it's such a joke that the bid corporation actually ran with that figure.

maybe VANOC has had a change of mind when they evaluated BC Place earlier this year, they would probably need somwhere between $10-20 million to fix up the stadium to standards acceptable and capable of hosting the Olympics.

Who are you kidding? BC Place is a dump, especially when it will be compared to all the sparkling brand new venues in 2010. The white roof inside is discoloured and stained, the whole place is dark and dreary and does not even feel full when it is full. I was at the Grey Cup and remarked that most likely the next time it would be full would be for 2010. It would cost them $3.5 million alone to fix the sound in that place so people could hear the opening and closing ceremonies. Black eyed peas werent bad, just no one could hear it because of the awful sound they have in there. You couldn not even understand the P.A. announcements. The limited pyrotechnics that they did have for the Grey Cup were enough to create a haze beneath the roof, and the pyrotechnices associated with a bigger even would literally smoke the place out. Serious changes and upgrades need to be made, otherwise it could look even more dated in 2010, leaving us with the most boring ceremonies ever.

Who are you kidding? BC Place is a dump, especially when it will be compared to all the sparkling brand new venues in 2010. The white roof inside is discoloured and stained, the whole place is dark and dreary and does not even feel full when it is full. I was at the Grey Cup and remarked that most likely the next time it would be full would be for 2010. It would cost them $3.5 million alone to fix the sound in that place so people could hear the opening and closing ceremonies. Black eyed peas werent bad, just no one could hear it because of the awful sound they have in there. You couldn not even understand the P.A. announcements. The limited pyrotechnics that they did have for the Grey Cup were enough to create a haze beneath the roof, and the pyrotechnices associated with a bigger even would literally smoke the place out. Serious changes and upgrades need to be made, otherwise it could look even more dated in 2010, leaving us with the most boring ceremonies ever.

Like I said. A hole!

So the flame can sit halfway inside and outside and provide a little bit of ventillation.  :wwww:

And I'm SURE the place would be painted and cleaned up etc. for the OGs. Show me any potential OG venue that wouldn't.

Don't know about acoustics though.

well actually, yes, but the thing is it's such a joke that the bid corporation actually ran with that figure.

maybe VANOC has had a change of mind when they evaluated BC Place earlier this year, they would probably need somwhere between $10-20 million to fix up the stadium to standards acceptable and capable of hosting the Olympics.

I think you have to realize that VANOC is only just in the fundamental stages of the organization of the Games.  When VANOC's delegation goes to Torino and comes back in March, I think they will be inspired and pumped and feeling the eyes of the world shift toward them.  That will push them to kick start their other plans, which include the "ohh and awe" factor of ceremonies, visuals and focal points such as the Opening Ceremonies.  The bid was a proposal, but proposals change as realities unfold and the reality is that BC Place needs a big facelift for 2010.  I'd rather they spend the money for ideas like the "Ring of Fire" on new sound systems, seating and improvements to the roof.

I think you have to realize that VANOC is only just in the fundamental stages of the organization of the Games.  When VANOC's delegation goes to Torino and comes back in March, I think they will be inspired and pumped and feeling the eyes of the world shift toward them.  That will push them to kick start their other plans, which include the "ohh and awe" factor of ceremonies, visuals and focal points such as the Opening Ceremonies.  The bid was a proposal, but proposals change as realities unfold and the reality is that BC Place needs a big facelift for 2010.  I'd rather they spend the money for ideas like the "Ring of Fire" on new sound systems, seating and improvements to the roof.

The ring of fire thing does sound unnecessary to me. And it takes away from the focal point factor.

I've never been inside one of those inflatable-roof stadia (dang those arches -- they've made the inflatable roof guys obsolete!   :wwww: ), but I look the way BC Place looks precisely because of that feature!!  Don't change it.

And this flame visible/inside-outside thing...have your heard of jumbotron screens?  That can go either inside or outside and carry the lighting and cauldron images.  

I still say do the twins thing - one inside lighting a small one; and the other one outside lighting the bigger, public one!

hopefully, you're right.  and i too would sacrifice the ring of fire for more stadium improvements.

i don't think we'll be seeing new seats for the stadium.  the 15,000 new seats at the Coliseum cost $3 million to buy and install. BC Place seats 60,000.  that would be about $12 million.

Archived