Baku Azerbaijan 2016

Main Olympic stade minimum is 80,000. The 4 other football stadia are minimum 40,000 each.

80,000? Where'd you get that figure? Athen's Olmypic Stadium was only 72,000 for the Olympics in 2004, and only around 56,700 seats were made available for the events...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Stadium_%28Athens%29

A figure of 60,000 or 70,000 minimum would be more accurate

Also, the football stadia don't need to be a minimum 40,000 seater for an Olympics, provided they have a decent all seater capacity (I'd say 15,000 +, then that should be sufficient)

80,000? Where'd you get that figure? Athen's Olmypic Stadium was only 72,000 for the Olympics in 2004, and only around 56,700 seats were made available for the events...

Uhmmm, go look at the IOC page (if it's still there). Also, from the USOC. The USOC has required an 80,000 min capacity if it is going to bid for 2016 -- and do you think the USOC pulled that figure out of thin air?

Do you think Beijing and London just decided - "Oh, let's go for for 80,000 seats for our Olympic stadia?" :rolleyes: It is common knowledge that that's all that was required of Sydney, but SOCOG nonetheless went for a nearly 100,000 capacity. It's in Ric Birch's "Master of Ceremonies."

As for the Athens and Barcelona stadia, yeah, once in awhile, the IOC will turn a blind eye if it's their favored city of the moment hosting. But all things being equal, the figure of an 80,000 minimum has been on IOC requirements.

Wikepedia? Yeah, any poster from Baku or San Marino can enter that site and alter the data.

As for the "56,700 seats... for Athens," then that's the # of seats they sold tickets for. The other 15,300 (further reduced by the press seating w/ TV monitors; special Ceremonies alterations, etc. ) were therefore reserved for the 'Olympic' family -- mainly the sponsors and special guests of the IOC and ATHOC.

Stick around here long enough and you'll get the hang of it.

Greetings Baron - firstly - Sydney's stadium held 110,000. That's the capacity as specified by the SOCOG Olympic Report. Ric Birch has never been a numbers man - beside his constant cries of "more money for shiny baubles!!"

Secondly the IOC requirement is 70,000. Unless it has changed recently. My understanding is the USOC has asked for a larger capacity simply because they know the demand is there. Athens and Barcelona both had stadia around the 60,000-70,000 capacity - however obviously public allocations were much smaller, and in the case of Athens - that was more than adequate capacity for the resulting demand.

I remember the Lille, San Juan and Sevilla 2004 bids all had to change their plans as their original plans had stadiums of 55,000 capacity or thereabouts. The IOC stated then it had to be at least 70,000.

Boo!

Chinese say 80,000 LUCKY numbah! They have most people in the world!! Great-grandpa concurs!!

Hiss! :P

They should've made the stadium have a capacity of 8,000,000! I'd hate to be the person whose sitting up at upper-upper-upper-upper... mezzanine Z!

It could be worse. You could be sitting outside, in front of a big screen instead of being inside.

to be really funny about capacities...although 70-80,000 is more appropriate the IOC in the 2012 guidelines state 60,000 as the minimum capacity,until the 2016 guidelines are made available im gonna stick with 60,000

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Baku's largest stadium is Tofig Bakhramov Stadium, which has a current capacity of 29 858 all-seater built in 1952.

baku_bakhramov.jpg

They'd be needing to upggrade this to what, a 60,000 seater stadium minimum? That's sorta a big ask, though possible.

I'd guess Baku would probably build a new stadium from scratch in the 80-100,000 seat range. Also, their sports infrastructure will have to be built almost entirely from scratch will it not. It's a bit of a reach for an Olympic bid though you have to start somewhere. Perhaps Baku could throw its hat in the ring for a smaller event such as the Asian Games to start with. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Azerbaijan fiddle with the idea of hosting Euro 2012?

Archived