Ioc To Alter Rules For New Sports

Mainad

From the BBC website:

IOC alters rules for new sports

The International Olympic Committee has decided to change the way new sports are included in future Games.

Delegates agreed to reduce the number of sports for the 2020 Games to 25 during a two-day meeting in Kuwait - with three potentially voted in.

The IOC has also decided to alter the voting procedure for new sports.

Just a majority of votes will be needed to bring in a sport compared to the current two thirds and the new system will come into affect next year.

The IOC said the changes would make the process of introducing new sports more exciting.

"This will be more interesting for sports wanting to come in," said IOC Olympic Games executive director Gilbert Felli.

"It will make the process less conservative and more flexible."

The Beijing Games in 2008 will be the last to feature a core of 28 sports as baseball and softball were removed from the London Games in 2012.

For the 2016 Games, the IOC will have a core of 26 with the possibility of introducing two more.

The IOC had already decided that Games should have a maximum of 28 sports and a minimum of 25.

If they plan to reduce the number of sports to 25,with 3 potentially voted in,I wonder which 3 of the 26 sports currently on the programme for London 2012 will be booted out?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/6193762.stm

From the BBC website:

If they plan to reduce the number of sports to 25,with 3 potentially voted in,I wonder which 3 of the 26 sports currently on the programme for London 2012 will be booted out?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/6193762.stm

They've always wanted to remove the Modern Pentathlon (altho this sport just piggybacks on the other venues & there are only like 40 serious modern pentathletes -- so I don't know why they are so hot on removing MP?) They should remove Boxing, Table Tennis and Taekwondo. Those are really nothing but nuisance sports.

The IOC will have to walk over my body to remouve Table Tennis...

Anyway, I would personaly remouve Moderne Penthatlon, Equistrian and Shoting.

I said thats wath I would remouve, not wath the IOC would remouve... Belive me, if I wase in charge, the OG would not be as they are today...

They've always wanted to remove the Modern Pentathlon (altho this sport just piggybacks on the other venues & there are only like 40 serious modern pentathletes -- so I don't know why they are so hot on removing MP?) They should remove Boxing, Table Tennis and Taekwondo. Those are really nothing but nuisance sports.

Taekwondo ?

Please Baron, heands off !

They will not remove Equestrian or Shooting. Those are among the original 13 or 14 sports.

exactly: i would like to see modern pentathlon go, and also i would like to see tennis removed as well

I'd say good-bye to modern pentathlon, football and tennis. The Olympic tournaments have practically no significance for the tennis world and also at least for the men's football scene. I hate that, for the men's football tournament, it's not allowed to send the complete senior national teams to the Olympics. Thus, the Olympic football tournament will always be a poor copy of the World Cup. Maybe one could keep the women's tournament, but I don't see a sense in keeping the men's tournament.

Additionally, one could eliminate weightlifting unless it's possible to get the doping problems under control.

Well, FIFA have to much power for the IOC to be able to remove Football, even the male tournament. For Tennis, again, I doubt it will be drop. Even if the Tennis tournament have little weight compared to, well, about every ATP hight-end tournaments, I would be very surprised if it is dropped: after all, it is one of the most popular spectator sport in the world, and also one of the most played.

I think the IOC should remove sports that nobody practice or watch. I mean, Weightlifting, Shooting, Modern Penthatlon, etc.. How often do you see those on TV, even during the Olympics?

I think the IOC should remove sports that nobody practice or watch. I mean, Weightlifting, Shooting, Modern Penthatlon, etc.. How often do you see those on TV, even during the Olympics?

In terms of Modern Pentathlon, I agree with you. But Weightlifting is possibly to be removed only because of the doping problems -- apart from that, it's one of the most traditional Olympic sports (it already was on the programme in Athens in 1896) and thus (under normal, "scandal-free" conditions) unlikely to be removed. That's why Shooting will probably never be removed, although it's not popular among TV broadcasters and audiences.

If not Tennis or Football, I rather see Taekwondo, Boxing and/or Badminton on the red list.

Well, the IOC could decide to go this way in the short term. However, what about the long term? When the same IOC goes around and puts, for example, a sport called bandy into the "IOC-recognized sport" category at an Athens 2004 meeting against its own rules of how a sport/event in general goes about putting one in the possible Olympic program list, then this issue can never go away.

What I'm saying here is that the IOC is reported to call for limited number of sports in the official Olympic program for the Olympiads to come. However, when this same organization is putting in the likes of sumo wresting, bandy, and others with "limited world appeal" into the recognized category for future official Olympic status reference, then where does it stop?

It's funny to me no one has mentioned synchronized swimming and that other gymnastics, the stupid one where the women wave streamers around. I think those should be eliminated as Olympic sports. At least ping-pong and badminton actually can be considered games with an objective. But I'd eliminate ping-pong and badminton as Olympic sports, too.

It's funny to me no one has mentioned synchronized swimming and that other gymnastics, the stupid one where the women wave streamers around.

What? Are u kidding? Synchro Swimming and Artistic Gymnastics do NOT require another venue.

72790237_10.jpg

How can you deny these youngsters their athleticism and artistry?

You think it's easy to hold your breath underwater for nearly a minute keeping in time with the music and your teammates? Have you tossed those clubs 20 ft in the air, done a backflip and then caught same clubs with such grace & elegance? If you have; then come back and tell me that these 2 sports should be removed!!

That's the same argument for Modern Pentathlon. I don't know why they want it removed. It just piggybacks on already existing venues used by other sports.

But I agree with you. Ping-pong (a garage game), badminton, weightlifting and boxing should all be removed -- to make room for ballroom dancing!!

Rugby 7 proposed to keep the actual maximum number of competitors (10.500) but to let increase the number of sports and events, reducing the number of events in some sport ( athletic, swimming, wrestling, boxing and others).

It is interesting, what is your opinion ?

11 weight class is WAY to much in boxing considering Wrestling have between 7 and 5 (depending if you are a women or a men), Judo 7 and Takewondo 4. It should be cuted by half and Women's boxing should be introduce. If the IOC chose to keep Boxing that is.

Personaly, I am a beliver in a reforme of the Olympic program: remove sports with limited apeal (Weightlifting, Shooting, Equestrian, Modern Penthatlon...) and ad some sports with a biguer apeal (Rugby, Dance, Inline Speed Skating, etc.)

Archived