The 15th Asian Games - Doha 2006

Andrew8

It seems like as time goes by, the idea of having two Cauldrons is ever more present...

In the 2002 Busan Asian Games, there was one "floating" cauldron in the shape of the OCA logo, and then one actual cauldron tower....

In the 2006 Doha Asian Games edition, we see one OCA logo cauldron that rotates and stuff, and at the same time there is also the cauldron tower that gets lit....

I find this interesting.... I dunno why.... maybe it's a new tradition....

================

2002 Busan - the floating cauldron (icouldn't find the tower pic though...)

15close.jpg

2006 Doha

starcauldron.jpg

and tower

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/7074/dscn27132lu.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who knows? Maybe because of the Beijing Bird Nest shape they could make two cauldrons on the 2008 olympics opening (a huge tower outside the stadium & a cauldron inside the nest, that can't be viewed outside), but for now i don't see that posibility.

Well, that was Day 1. Now, the Day 2 events:

Link: Day 2

For those who want to see the medals tally for the 15th. Asian Games, then come click on the link below:

Link: Medals Tally Page From Official 2006 Asian Games Website

Link to Day 3 events -> Day 3

For after the Day 2 events, the following nations have these number of medals so far:

1. China -> 16 gold, 5 silver, 2 bronze

2. Japan -> 3 gold, 6 silver, 3 bronze

3. South Korea -> 1 gold, 2 silver, 7 bronze

4. Thailand -> 2 silver, 1 bronze

5. Singapore -> 1 silver, 1 bronze

5. Mongolia -> 1 silver, 1 bronze

7. Vietnam -> 1 silver

7. Iran -> 1 silver

7. North Korea -> 1 silver

10. Kazakhstan -> 3 bronze

11. India -> 2 bronze

11. Uzbekistan -> 2 bronze

13. Hong Kong SAR -> 1 bronze

13. Chinese Taipei -> 1 bronze

From what i seen of the ceremony it was good, i didnt get the big screen thing though. the lightning of the flame was good especially the horse running up to the cauldren, could tell it was done by the Sydney guys although what i dont get is why they have a flame, should just be an olympic thing, plus wer do they light it from?

No...it's not just an Olympic thing, regional games under the supervision of the Olympics have torch relays too. Though it would be nicer if they had a proper relay like they do in the Pan-American games (originally it was from Olympia like the normal Olympics before they chose to start the relay from Mexico, where they would ignite the flame like the Aztecs and other Meso-Americans would have. However with regards to the Asian Games, the flame is ignited within the host city, where it would travel at a predetermined route....it would be nicer if there was a more better flame route like the Olympics or Pan-American games, or even have the flame begin at the previous host city? Or even an agreed starting point of historical and cultural significance? well that's what I think... :)

During the opening ceremony one of the theme songs is sung by Jacky Cheung from Hong Kong. He is one of the most famous pop-singer in the Chinese world. It is the first time for a Hongkonger to perform on the Asian games. Here are the youtube clips:

(From TVBS Taiwan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAUCW4BcDDw (From CableTV Hong Kong)

In fact the orchestra perfromed in the opening ceremony was the Guangzhou Orchestra from Guangzhou (Canton), China. You can see them in the clips too.

In fact the orchestra perfromed in the opening ceremony was the Guangzhou Orchestra from Guangzhou (Canton), China. You can see them in the clips too.

Because Doha might NOT have a symphony orchestra + the Canton people will be there for the handover Ceremony at Closing.

They can't have too many of these torch relay things. It will dilute the whole idea.

BTW, if (and I can't get the Windows Media player to work on my iBook) the lit the cauldron with a horseman, I had that idea long ago. Was hoping they would use it far back as Atlanta -- but those stupid housewives on the committee decided that they wanted this oil derrick of a tower on which the cauldron would sit.

Wow -- I finally saw the cauldron lighting in moving pictures, and I'm absolutely impressed. I always thought that there wasn't much innovation possible in terms of the cauldron lighting -- but actually, Doha set a new standard. I guess that the guys in BOCOG are already taxing their brains how they can keep up with that great production. And I suppose that -- since the Olympics will be in China, the master country of bombastic shows -- they will invent a new way of cauldron lighting that will cause our lower jaws to drop down to the ground.

The local broadcaster here in Manila have shown the ceremonies four times over the weekend and i have to say that i would like to recant some statements that ive made in my earlier post (not that much).

I still feel that parets of the ceremony were too long and dragging specially the parts on the silk road, wedding and the oil rigs. the huge LCD or LED screen did do wonders though i think they had to do it or install something in that part of the stadium since it had nothing in it being the smaller side of the stands.

the lighting still sucked for me though i do appreciate the astrolabe - rotating cauldron. If they intend to do a two-cauldron thingy they should have not fussed with the sports tower since it did not play a major part during the ceremony as the main grandstand was against it.

I was also a bit disappointed that the bulk of the pyro was held back for the finale, a lot of moments during the ceremonies could have used some pyro effects.

paralellisms of sydney and doha:

-the child being the central figure in the story. nikki webster on the beach whilst the arab boy with the astrolabe.

-the horses doing a parade,

-the use of the monitors as accompaniment to the show, the giant wall in doha and the jumbotrons of sydney

-the cauldron if you look at it is in the shape of a disc and is similarly raised just a bit above the top of the stands

- the oil rigs of doha is like the "tin symphony" of sydney

- the wedding part with all the cast dancing in the field is like the "eternity" segment of sydney

- the opening with arabs holding torches and spelling peace resembled the "bush fires" in sydney

- like the cauldron glitch of sydney, the horseback rider nearly did not make the top of the staircase to light the cauldron.

I kinda agree with you about the two cauldron thingy.... For the size of that Cauldron tower, they should have incoporated it somehow to the ceremony, otherwise they wasted LOTS of money on it... the tower is SERIOUSLY huge~ but then again, they are an oil rich country.....

But about your comment on the horseback rider nearly not making it to the top, I thought that wasn't really a glitch.... but I can sense that the horse was struggling though.

I believe they had the huge tv screen inside the stadium...

Anyway, so far in the medal count...

Rank NOC Men Women Mixed Total Rank

by Total

T T T T

1 CHN - China 10 4 4 18 19 7 3 29 29 11 7 47 1

2 JPN - Japan 4 6 4 14 3 4 6 13 7 10 10 27 2

3 KOR - Rep. Korea 3 5 8 16 1 3 6 10 4 8 14 26 3

4 KAZ - Kazakhstan 2 2 2 6 1 1 2 2 3 7 =4

5 KUW - Kuwait 2 1 3 2 0 1 3 =10

6 MGL - Mongolia 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 3 =10

7 INA - Indonesia 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 2 =14

8 HKG - Hong Kong, China 1 1 2 2 2 1 0 3 4 9

9 MAS - Malaysia 1 1 1 0 0 1 =17

10 PRK - DPR Korea 1 1 2 2 3 5 0 3 4 7 =4

11 IND - India 2 1 3 1 1 2 0 3 2 5 =6

11 THA - Thailand 3 2 5 0 3 2 5 =6

13 SIN - Singapore 2 1 3 0 2 1 3 =10

14 IRI - IR Iran 2 2 0 2 0 2 =14

15 TPE - Chinese Taipei 1 1 2 3 3 0 1 4 5 =6

16 VIE - Vietnam 1 1 2 0 1 1 2 =14

17 UZB - Uzbekistan 3 3 0 0 3 3 =10

18 LIB - Lebanon 1 1 0 0 1 1 =17

18 UAE - Emirates 1 1 0 0 1 1 =17

Total 24 24 29 77 24 24 29 77 48 48 58 154

http://www.doha-2006.com/gis/menuroot/medals/InfoMedal.aspx

I believe they had the huge tv screen inside the stadium...

Anyway, so far in the medal count...

Rank NOC Men Women Mixed Total Rank

by Total

T T T T

1 CHN - China 10 4 4 18 19 7 3 29 29 11 7 47 1

2 JPN - Japan 4 6 4 14 3 4 6 13 7 10 10 27 2

3 KOR - Rep. Korea 3 5 8 16 1 3 6 10 4 8 14 26 3

4 KAZ - Kazakhstan 2 2 2 6 1 1 2 2 3 7 =4

5 KUW - Kuwait 2 1 3 2 0 1 3 =10

6 MGL - Mongolia 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 3 =10

7 INA - Indonesia 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 2 =14

8 HKG - Hong Kong, China 1 1 2 2 2 1 0 3 4 9

9 MAS - Malaysia 1 1 1 0 0 1 =17

10 PRK - DPR Korea 1 1 2 2 3 5 0 3 4 7 =4

11 IND - India 2 1 3 1 1 2 0 3 2 5 =6

11 THA - Thailand 3 2 5 0 3 2 5 =6

13 SIN - Singapore 2 1 3 0 2 1 3 =10

14 IRI - IR Iran 2 2 0 2 0 2 =14

15 TPE - Chinese Taipei 1 1 2 3 3 0 1 4 5 =6

16 VIE - Vietnam 1 1 2 0 1 1 2 =14

17 UZB - Uzbekistan 3 3 0 0 3 3 =10

18 LIB - Lebanon 1 1 0 0 1 1 =17

18 UAE - Emirates 1 1 0 0 1 1 =17

Total 24 24 29 77 24 24 29 77 48 48 58 154

http://www.doha-2006.com/gis/menuroot/medals/InfoMedal.aspx

Not to compare the Asian Games to other like ones in the world, but this medal tally is indicating a sign that China could walk away with so many medals here that it would need "trucks" to get them back home. Sort of like the way Australia does that in the Commonwealth Games and the Americans in the Pan-American Games. Cannot believe it is just Day 3 then and China is already about half way to 100 medals in total won. :o

Normally, on "neutral" grounds, that is the case. But if the Asian Games is hosted in Korea or Japan, then there would be a close fight between China and the host.

I think they should get the trucks ... lots of them... ready in 2010 when they host the games. :D

Malaysia gets 2nd medal... SILVER in Equestrian, Team Dressage behind Korea. Japan takes the bronze. It's looking good for Malaysia in individual dressage tomorrow as our 2 qualifiers are in 3rd and 5th position going into tmrw's finals.

Hoping for more medals tonight... possibly in Bowling...

Normally, on "neutral" grounds, that is the case. But if the Asian Games is hosted in Korea or Japan, then there would be a close fight between China and the host.

I think they should get the trucks ... lots of them... ready in 2010 when they host the games. :D

Malaysia gets 2nd medal... SILVER in Equestrian, Team Dressage behind Korea. Japan takes the bronze. It's looking good for Malaysia in individual dressage tomorrow as our 2 qualifiers are in 3rd and 5th position going into tmrw's finals.

Hoping for more medals tonight... possibly in Bowling...

Good one, theone. :D Man, I can guess what will occur at all those future venues at Guangzhou 2010, if all those future Chinese athletes gets any of those medals. It will be quite a nationalistic fervor for sure. Don't know if it is comparing it to the Australian public, when the country hosted the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, is right. However, that is what comes to my mind, when the time comes.

An addition to this post:

Well, a world record has been broken in the Asian Games. It comes from Thailand's Pawina Thongsuk in the clean-and-jerk weightlifting event:

Link: CBC: Thai Weightlifter Breaks World Record At Asian Games

New medal tally figures after Day 4 competitions:

1. China -> 38 gold, 20 silver, 11 bronze

2. Japan -> 12 gold, 15 silver, 19 bronze

3. South Korea -> 7 gold, 12 silver, 21 bronze

4. Kazakhstan -> 5 gold, 3 silver, 6 bronze

5. Thailand -> 2 gold, 4 silver, 2 bronze

6. Mongolia -> 2 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze

7. Kuwait -> 2 gold, 1 bronze

8. North Korea -> 1 gold, 3 silver, 6 bronze

9. India -> 1 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze

10. Singapore -> 1 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze

11. Indonesia -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

11. Malaysia -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

13. Hong Kong SAR -> 1 gold, 3 bronze

14. Saudi Arabia -> 1 gold

14. Syria -> 1 gold

16. Vietnam -> 3 silver, 2 bronze

17. Iran -> 3 silver

18. Chinese Taipei -> 1 silver, 4 bronze

19. QATAR -> 1 silver, 2 bronze

20. Myanmar (Burma) -> 1 silver, 1 bronze

20. UAE -> 1 silver, 1 bronze

22. Turkmenistan -> 1 silver

23. Uzbekistan -> 4 bronze

24. Iraq -> 1 bronze

24. Tajikistan -> 1 bronze

24. Lebanon -> 1 bronze

Maybe everyone already know this, but the old Olympic Council of Asia logo has changed into a new one for the future, and it will be used for the Guangzhou 2010 Asian Games.

OLD:

Asiad.png

NEW:

nll1.JPG

The new Brand Image logo of the OCA consists of a Falcon and Dragon representing the 5 zones of OCA with the OCA Star and 5 rings beneath. The image logo was appreciated by all.

During the ceremony Sheikh Saud Al-Thani also commemorative mementos to President IOC and President OCA on behalf of H.H. Sheikh Tamim Al-Thani, Chairman of DAGOC.

nll2.JPG

Sorry for the last links, looks like the Video Google guys decided to delete them :angry: . Maybe another time.

the new OCA logo, very beautiful!

in contrast, the redesign of the Philippine Olympic Committee logo is an utter disaster! ill show you pics but im sooooo afraid to look at it again!

im still hoping that the logo that i saw at the local daily is just a passing fancy by the officials of the POC.

on the ceremonies:

maybe i should let go of the horse, it did make it to the top after all, with the prince still unscathed.

sorry, if im still going to harpy about the sports tower, it just irks me that they built it for this and it turns out to be nothing. i just had high hopes and expectations for the tower in particular, admit it, you likewise had out-of-this world ideas on how they will light it, right?

they should have never built the sports tower for the flame, not only did it not get noticed by the people inside the stadium more so how the visiting IOC delegation thinks it get lit. They go inside the stadium and there's no flame and when they come out its lit. the whole tower was clad in LED's and still it did not play a major part of the ceremonies, they should have used torino's concept when they lit the cauldron on top. though people will doubt about the "authenticity" of the flame, at least it would have looked stunning with fireworks creeping to the top. then again, maybe the positioning of the tower (being against the grandstand) should have already hinted that it will not matter.

question:

what should doha do if it does put forth a bid for 2016?

a) bulldoze the current stadium and build a new one (after all it will take much more than a renovation to increase the current capacity to fit olympic standards)

B) just improve on the existing (and maybe re-orient the grandstand towards the sports tower and reserve existing conditions so that they could just improve on their ceremonies this year) with additions of open-air tiers and update of the roof?

the new OCA logo, very beautiful!

in contrast, the redesign of the Philippine Olympic Committee logo is an utter disaster! ill show you pics but im sooooo afraid to look at it again!

im still hoping that the logo that i saw at the local daily is just a passing fancy by the officials of the POC.

question:

what should doha do if it does put forth a bid for 2016?

a) bulldoze the current stadium and build a new one (after all it will take much more than a renovation to increase the current capacity to fit olympic standards)

B) just improve on the existing (and maybe re-orient the grandstand towards the sports tower and reserve existing conditions so that they could just improve on their ceremonies this year) with additions of open-air tiers and update of the roof?

Yes, please do!!

In answer to your question: what should Doha do? Definitely (a)!!! The IOC likes to see profligate spenders for their Games! Especially after seeing these Ceremonies, you'd think the IOC would want a reminder of these? They'd want something grander!!

BTW, I'm sending you a PM.

Archived