The 15th Asian Games - Doha 2006

top_main.jpg

The capital city of Qatar, Doha, will be hosting the largest sporting event in Asia for the first time.

MAP:

qatar.doha.jpg

EMBLEM:

2006_logo.jpg

An athlete in motion is the inspiration for the logo of the 15th Asian Games Doha 2006 - a sportsperson facing up to the challenges and obstacles in a fearless manner.

The colours used in the logo are especially relevant to the state of Qatar: yellow for the crescent-shaped sand dunes of the desert, blue for the calm sea of the Gulf and red for the sun and warm spirit of Asia.

SLOGAN: "The Games of Your Life"

MASCOT: Orry the oryx

orry3.jpg

TORCH

look_img2.jpg

The Torch design for the Doha 2006 Torch Relay is modest, elegant and light in design. Inspiration for the Torch was drawn from the curvaceous horns of the Arabian Oryx, the endangered national animal which also inspired Orry, the official Games mascot and the colours of the Qatari flag.

It symbolises the unifying spirit of competition and friendship throughout Asia.

The emblem of the 15th Asian Games appears on the top of the Torch, with the Olympic Council of Asia's sun icon embossed on the maroon middle section. The Asian sun is also engraved on the top of the Torch so that the Flame represents its core.

The Torch was designed by the Creative & Visual Profile Team of Doha Asian Games Organising Committee (DAGOC).

The Doha 2006 Torch is a unifying source that sums up the ever-burning desire to merge and light anew the spirit of competition and friendship through Asia.

TORCH RELAY

The Doha 2006 Torch Relay is the longest relay in the history of the Games; travelling over 50,000 kilometres to 15 countries and regions in more than 50 days.
MAP OF THE TORCH RELAY

MEDALS:

medals.jpg

Aspects of the Old and New have been incorporated into the design of the official medals

PARTICIPATING COUNTRIES:

map.jpg

AFG Afghanistan

MAS Malaysia

BAN Bangladesh

MDV Maldives

BHU Bhutan

MGL Mongolia

BRN Bahrain (Kingdom of Bahrain)

MYA Myanmar

BRU Brunei Darussalam

NEP Nepal

CAM Cambodia

OMA Oman (Sultanate of Oman)

CHN China (PR China)

PAK Pakistan

HKG Hong Kong, China

PHI Philippines (The Philippines)

INA Indonesia

PLE Palestine

IND India

PRK DPR Korea

IRI IR Iran

SIN Singapore

IRQ Iraq

SRI Sri Lanka

JOR Jordan

SYR Syria (Syrian Arab Republic)

JPN Japan

THA Thailand

KAZ Kazakhstan

TJK Tajikistan

KGZ Kyrgyzstan

TKM Turkmenistan

KOR Korea (Republic of Korea)

TLS Timor-Leste

KSA Saudi Arabia (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)

TPE Chinese Taipei

KUW Kuwait

UAE United Arab Emirates

LAO Lao PDR

UZB Uzbekistan

LIB Lebanon

VIE Vietnam

MAC Macau, China

YEM Yemen (Republic of Yemen)

QAT Qatar (State of Qatar)

VENUE MAP:

Doha_asian2006.jpg

MAIN STADIUM: Khalifa Stadium

151145474401226391dbgq1.jpg

The Khalifa Stadium has a seating capacity of 50,000 fans, the largest sporting venue in the city.

THE CAULDRON:

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/7074/dscn27132lu.jpg

Picture of Doha:

al-bedaa_garden__doha_sea_f.jpg

OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF DOHA 2006 ASIAN GAMES

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how long it will be until Australia starts competing in the Asian Games. I know we aren't technically Asia - but since we made the move to the Asian Football league, surely the time will come when AOC alligns (maybe not joins, but alligns) with the OCA...

Then we could host and win everything! Well everything the Chinese haven't.. ahem... won fair and square.

BTW I was going to start a fourth thread just to state this but thought I'd give you a break roltel :) :)

I was trying to look for the bidding logo for Doha 2006, but I don't know why i can't find that on the internet..... I remember it looking waaaaay better than the current logo...

The Bahrain vs Vietnam match was played before an announced crowd of 75, but before we harp on the attendance figures too much, I am reminded of some articles printed during the 1999 Pan American Games raising the same issues, yet, if I am not mistaken, those Games were considered very successful in the end. Keep in mind that the whole nation of Qatar has a population of less than 900,000 and not everybody is enough of a sports fan to want to attend the Games.

To be fair to the Doha organisers, the Games dont actually start until today - and the Opening Ceremony is sold out - 50,000 tickets. The football and basketball matches thus far are the minnows trying to get into the final rounds that start the day after the Opening. Kind of like the Eurovision semi!!

Apparently swimming (those Arabs will finally get to see some real woman flesh!), athletics and some martial arts sessions are sold out.

Very outstanding and spectacular ceremony, the Sydney 2000 guys did it again. Too bad my connection is a little screwed up and i couldn record very much. ;(

I'm praying that the opening ceremony appears avalible to download in some P2P program in the next days...

Archived