Rio?

I am sorry, I didn't complete my post - Rio was ranked second in the 2012 Index. Just behind... Paris. London was third, if memory serves me well.

Oh yeah. Rio stood at 2th, with Paris as frontrunner. But................

Rio was not shortlisted and.................

London won.

Hope it's different (although it's difficult...)

• 1 year later...
However a senior European IOC member told AFP last week that it would be unlikely that Rio would succeed in winning the right to host the Olympics.

``IOC members don't like feeling they are the pudding, ie coming after another major sporting occasion,'' he said. AFP

Uh-oh.

And with that, here are the latest 2016 BBI - 2016 Baron's Bid Index:

Tokyo - 68.2

Chicago - 63.6

Madrid - 38.5

Rio de J - 28.5

LOL, 2 years ago Rio was the ugly duck... I remember those times... When people here didn't realized where Brazil is, how much Brazilian economy is huge or how Brazil was emerging...

Funny to read it now... When Rio won, against all bets made at that time.

LOL, 2 years ago Rio was the ugly duck... I remember those times... When people here didn't realized where Brazil is, how much Brazilian economy is huge or how Brazil was emerging...

Funny to read it now... When Rio won, against all bets made at that time.

Some were afraid of Rio's chances... they were right to be ;)

Rio is susprising since now...

The success of organizing PanAm Games gave Rio a boost for this bid.

Mr. Rogge is talking about continents that haven't hosted SOG... He also said Rio will play important role in this bidding campaign...

If Rio wants to host a SOG, Rio needs to solve two main problems: Small subway system and pollution in Guanabara Bay...

Unfortunatelly, I can't see another Olympic Games in USA soon (Atlanta 96 and the "war against terror"), for me Spain made this 2016 bid just to keep Madrid in COI minds (Europe again???????), so we have Tokyo, a favourite contender for this bid.

My opinion Index:

1 - Tokyo 31.

2 - Rio de Janeiro 25.

3 - Chicago 20.

4 - Madrid 10.

5 - Prague 8.

When I saw these numbers I felt how quickly time passed. It looks like an year ago.

For many times Rio bidded to host a SOG. That history began in the process of choosing 1936 Games hosting city. As we can imagine, a completely non sense in a time Berlin intended to be the capital of the world.

Time passed and other bids were presented. I remember 2004 SOG bid process. Ridiculous, not to say more.

Now, Rio made it. Backed by its population and the Brazilian people. Foreing forumers may have no idea of what means the support of the three levels of government. For decades, Rio de Janeiro citizens used to vote for the candidate who presented himself in opposition to the Federal Government. By their turn, citizens of the former Guanabara State - nowadays the city of Rio de Janeiro, which, after losing its status of Capital of Brazil became the Capital city of the Rio de Janeiro State - also did something simillar, in voting for mayor: they used to choose someone that presented himself against the Federal Administration and the State Adm, as well. There was no possible dialogue.

Well, things changed. And Rio made it.

Now, the world looks towards Rio. Rio asked this, when asked to be the hosting city for the 2016 SOG. Home problems, the way we solve them or not, became a matter of international interest, since we asked the world to be the centre of its attention in 2016.

Let's work. Time passes too quickly. Let's give no chance for disapointment.

Let's make the best games in history.

For many times Rio bidded to host a SOG. That history began in the process of choosing 1936 Games hosting city. As we can imagine, a completely non sense in a time Berlin intended to be the capital of the world.

Time passed and other bids were presented. I remember 2004 SOG bid process. Ridiculous, not to say more.

Now, Rio made it. Backed by its population and the Brazilian people. Foreing forumers may have no idea of what means the support of the three levels of government. For decades, Rio de Janeiro citizens used to vote for the candidate who presented himself in opposition to the Federal Government. By their turn, citizens of the former Guanabara State - nowadays the city of Rio de Janeiro, which, after losing its status of Capital of Brazil became the Capital city of the Rio de Janeiro State - also did something simillar, in voting for mayor: they used to choose someone that presented himself against the Federal Administration and the State Adm, as well. There was no possible dialogue.

Well, things changed. And Rio made it.

Now, the world looks towards Rio. Rio asked this, when asked to be the hosting city for the 2016 SOG. Home problems, the way we solve them or not, became a matter of international interest, since we asked the world to be the centre of its attention in 2016.

Let's work. Time passes too quickly. Let's give no chance for disapointment.

Let's make the best games in history.

Amazing, outstading post...

• 4 weeks later...
However a senior European IOC member told AFP last week that it would be unlikely that Rio would succeed in winning the right to host the Olympics.

``IOC members don't like feeling they are the pudding, ie coming after another major sporting occasion,'' he said. AFP

Uh-oh.

Tokyo - 68.2

Chicago - 63.6

Madrid - 38.5

Rio de J - 28.5

Sir, what a mistake!

Uh-oh.

Tokyo - 68.2

Chicago - 63.6

Madrid - 38.5

Rio de J - 28.5

It's really amazing thins ranking. Why haven't you given Rio 28.52?

Tha would be more accurate, don't you think?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived