Rio?

well they need to be focussing on the panam games and try not to mess it up...its almost 2007 and venues are not yet complete..its a race against time...

how are they doing in regards to venues MO? I think it is a great city for a sport festival and the Pan AM games is a good baby step. I like the thought of south america hosting the summer games in Rio it has some advantages as far as tv in the vital eastern time zone of north america. NBC or any American network would be able to make some seroius coin from advertizing with rio only being two hours ahead of the eastern time zone in the states. My money is on the americans for 2016 but I dont know if rio will make it.

I was too Rio November last year and it is an amazing city.

Jim jones

how are they doing in regards to venues MO? I think it is a great city for a sport festival and the Pan AM games is a good baby step. I like the thought of south america hosting the summer games in Rio it has some advantages as far as tv in the vital eastern time zone of north america. NBC or any American network would be able to make some seroius coin from advertizing with rio only being two hours ahead of the eastern time zone in the states. My money is on the americans for 2016 but I dont know if rio will make it.

I was too Rio November last year and it is an amazing city.

Jim jones

Hi Jim,

As a Rio native, I´ve already gave my opinion about what I think about organization here and at this post (comments are in the previous post of the thread) I give an example how things are going on here (haven´t changed much ever since).

Like I said in the first post, I am not really interested in discussing simply because that is how things are being done for the past decades and, so far, I haven´t seen any glimpse that might change. If it does, I will be glad to post it here.

Even if the venues end up being a hot topic and the 2007 panams don't go quite as well as hoped for, the simple experience of learning what things NOT to do and having most venues already in place after that is more than satisfactory for a winning bid. Brazil and all of South America stand to benefit.

Even if the venues end up being a hot topic and the 2007 panams don't go quite as well as hoped for, the simple experience of learning what things NOT to do and having most venues already in place after that is more than satisfactory for a winning bid. Brazil and all of South America stand to benefit.

I just couldn't agree more ...

• 7 months later...

A bit of a negative sign for Rio in a statement by an IOC member regarding Brazil's WC 2014-Olympics 2016 chances:

PARIS, July 30, 2007 (AFP) - Brazil, the only candidate bidding to host the 2014 World Cup, is set to officially present its bid at the headquarters of world football's governing body FIFA in Zurich on Tuesday.

The Brazilian delegation, headed by Brazilian federation (CBF) president Ricardo Teixeira and which includes famous author Paulo Coelho and 1994 World Cup star Romario, is set to declare they have agreed to all the guarantees demanded by FIFA to host the event.

This first administrative step will put the bid, for what the Brazilians want to call ``Copa 2014,'' officially into the FIFA system.

FIFA have said repeatedly: ``Even if Brazil is the only candidate, it has not yet obtained the right to host the 2014 World Cup.''

The only other country which might have made a bid was Colombia but it pulled out of the running in April.

Only problems with the bid however could derail hopes of organising an event last held on Brazilian soil in 1950 when they lost in the final to Uruguay, a defeat which rankles among Brazilians to this day.

One of the headaches in such a huge country is which stadiums would be used and 22 cities have officially thrown their hat into the ring. Between 10 and 18 cities could be chosen but the figure would probably be 12.

Rio de Janeiro will surely host matches but that would throw up the question of whether to renovate the mythic Maracana stadium or use the Engenho de Dentro stadium, which was inaugurated for the 2007 Pan American Games which have just finished.

Brazil, which also hopes to host the 2016 Olympics in Rio, wants to follow in the footsteps of Germany (1974 World Cup and 1972 Olympics), and Mexico (Olympics 1968 and 1970 World Cup).

However a senior European IOC member told AFP last week that it would be unlikely that Rio would succeed in winning the right to host the Olympics.

``IOC members don't like feeling they are the pudding, ie coming after another major sporting occasion,'' he said.

AFP

I have to agree that if Rio bids for the 2014 World Cup it might but a hinder on their 2016 Olympic bid. The IOC will want Brazil to be focused on putting on the 2016 show, not FIFA's World Cup in 2014. To me Brazil needs to decide which one to go for and choose to go with that one. I personally think they have a better shot at hosting the World Cup considering South America's love for football.

However a senior European IOC member told AFP last week that it would be unlikely that Rio would succeed in winning the right to host the Olympics.

``IOC members don't like feeling they are the pudding, ie coming after another major sporting occasion,'' he said. AFP

Uh-oh.

And with that, here are the latest 2016 BBI - 2016 Baron's Bid Index:

Tokyo - 68.2

Chicago - 63.6

Madrid - 38.5

Rio de J - 28.5

``IOC members don't like feeling they are the pudding, ie coming after another major sporting occasion,'' he said. AFP

Uh-oh.

Tokyo - 68.2

Chicago - 63.6

Madrid - 38.5

Rio de J - 28.5

Tokyo above Chicago????

Uh-oh.

Tokyo - 68.2

Chicago - 63.6

Madrid - 38.5

Rio de J - 28.5

Madrid would be last in my opinion. No European city has a chance even if the bid is good.

uhmm, dave, it's fantasy time.

Am just humoring our Spanish friends -- since Rio's stock just dropped!!

I forgot but do some people on these boards believe Madrid will win? :blink: Delusional!! lol

Yeah, I still think Rio can be a darkhorse in this race. They may sneak up in the end, we've seen it happen many times, most recently with Sochi. I wouldn't cut them down that far. I still think Chicago and Tokyo are more ahead in the race at the moment.

• 5 weeks later...

Rio is susprising since now...

The success of organizing PanAm Games gave Rio a boost for this bid.

Mr. Rogge is talking about continents that haven't hosted SOG... He also said Rio will play important role in this bidding campaign...

If Rio wants to host a SOG, Rio needs to solve two main problems: Small subway system and pollution in Guanabara Bay...

Unfortunatelly, I can't see another Olympic Games in USA soon (Atlanta 96 and the "war against terror"), for me Spain made this 2016 bid just to keep Madrid in COI minds (Europe again???????), so we have Tokyo, a favourite contender for this bid.

My opinion Index:

1 - Tokyo 31.

2 - Rio de Janeiro 25.

3 - Chicago 20.

4 - Madrid 10.

5 - Prague 8.

• 3 months later...

Archived