New Sports?

taichi

Oh I didn't know there is another thread in this topic, thank you. Anyways I'm hoping that the IOC will include Bandy as a new sport. I'll wait if one of the federation will approve this new sport. Not only Bandy also Ringette. Is there a federation for Ringette?

Taichi Nomura

Oh I didn't know there is another thread in this topic, thank you. Anyways I'm hoping that the IOC will include Bandy as a new sport. I'll wait if one of the federation will approve this new sport. Not only Bandy also Ringette. Is there a federation for Ringette?

Taichi Nomura

What's Ringette?

You may want to click on the link below for more details about this sport:

Link: Official Website About Ringette In Canada

Thanks for that. I'd never heard of it. I guess it's sort of like a version of ice hockey for girls and using rings instead of pucks ... you crazy Canucks!

:D

Edited by roltel

Taichi Nomura

With only 15 federations in Bandy, I can't see it being an Olympic Sport! I heard that Curling Skills, Alpine Cross, Women's Ski Jumping and Team Luge will more than likely be included for 2010 in Vancouver.

Bandy is for 2014 at best, 2010 is just not realistic. The one ting I don't get is that they don't seam to be any sort of plan to include Halfpipe freestyle-skiing at the Olympics. It would make sence with the IOC's "extreme sports" trend at the WOG (with Freestyle Skiing and Short Track in 1992, Snowboard in 1998, Skeleton in 2002, Snowboardcross in 2006 and potentialy Ski-Cross in 2010).

I cannot believe that bandy is an IOC-recognized sport. That decision occurred just at an IOC meeting during Athens 2004. Makes one wonder if ringette will get the same treatment as well.

The IOC has made their decision. Skicross is added to the Vancouver program but rejects the other sports including Women's Ski Jumping

IOC rejects women's ski jumping for 2010

Vancouver 2010 Emblem

Associated Press

11/28/2006 2:34:33 PM

KUWAIT CITY (AP) - The rough-and-tumble freestyle event of skicross is in for the 2010 Winter Olympics. Women's ski jumping will have to wait to be considered for 2014.

The International Olympic Committee approved skicross - similar to snowboard cross - for the Vancouver Games but rejected women's jumping and five other events during meetings Tuesday.

The IOC executive board also overhauled the process for selecting sports for future Summer Games, and partially lifted its freeze on payments to the international amateur boxing association to encourage reforms in judging and scoring.

Skicross involves groups of skiers racing each other to the bottom of a course with jumps, rollers, banks and other manmade and natural terrain features. The competition is part of the International Ski Federation's World Cup freestyle circuit, which also includes the Olympic events of aerials and moguls.

The IOC said skicross has a "strong appeal for the young generation."

Snowboard cross debuted at the Winter Games in Turin 10 months ago and drew big crowds and good ratings.

The Vancouver skicross events will feature 32 men and 16 women competing in the same format as the snowboard version. The two gold medals will bring the number of medal events in Vancouver to 86.

Turned down by the IOC were women's ski jumping, a team event in alpine skiing, mixed relay in biathlon, team competitions in bobsled and skeleton, a team luge competition and mixed doubles in curling.

Ski jumping, and nordic combined, are the only competitions in the Winter Olympics in which women don't participate. While the IOC is eager to have gender equity in all sports, officials said women's jumping hasn't yet been fully established, noting that the first world championships in the event aren't scheduled until 2009.

"It's still not ready," IOC vice president Gunilla Lindberg said. "In our analysis, there are not enough athletes and not enough countries. They have to work with the international ski federation and Nordic combined to be ready for 2014."

However, the IOC stressed it would closely monitor the progress of women's ski jumping "with a view of its inclusion in future Olympic Games."

"Yes, we would like to have women's ski jumping one day, but we still have to evaluate it along with other sports," Olympic Games executive director Gilbert Felli said.

The Kuwait meeting was the last chance for new events to secure a spot on the Vancouver sports program. The next opportunity will be for the 2014 Olympics, with a final decision on events for those games in 2010.

In the meantime, the IOC ruled out consideration of ski orienteering, ski mountaineering and winter triathlon for 2014.

In other action, the board released US$300,000 out of $1.1 million in frozen funds to the International Amateur Boxing Association, with the money to be used by national federations to buy video equipment for scoring.

The IOC froze Olympic revenues to the AIBA after the 2004 Athens Games, citing concerns over scoring and the selection of judges. The IOC also said Tuesday it was freeing $150,000 in annual development funds to the boxing body.

A breakthrough came last month when longtime AIBA president Anwar Chowdhry of Pakistan was defeated in a re-election bid by Taiwan's Ching-Kuo Wu at the association's congress in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Critics had accused the 84-year-old Chowdhry, who led the federation for 20 years, of corruption and mismanagement.

"We believe it's a new era for boxing," Felli said.

The IOC board also approved major changes in the process for setting the Summer Games sports program. The move followed widespread criticism of the arduous procedures at the IOC session in Singapore in 2005, where members voted on each of the 28 sports. Baseball and softball were cut for the 2012 Olympics but members failed to vote in any replacements, leaving only 26 sports for the London Games.

Under the new system, the executive board will propose a slate of sports to be voted on as a bloc by the general assembly. If the proposal fails to win a majority, the members will then vote sport by sport.

The new process will debut at the 2009 session in Copenhagen, Denmark, with 26 sports put forward for the 2016 Games. With the IOC keeping to a maximum of 28 summer sports, two slots will be open for possible additions.

A simple majority vote will be needed to approve new sports. Previously, two-thirds approval was required.

The IOC said it would maintain its cap of 10,500 athletes for Summer Games but allow "flexibility" in the number of events, disciplines and teams.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/news_story/?ID=...66&hubname=

To bad only Ski Cross wase aded.

I would admit, tought, that I am quite surprise (and disapointed) that team Luge, Skeleton, Bobsled and Alpine Skiing where not included (aspecialy Team Alpine Skiing) becose "these events would only allow the same athletes already participating in an individual event to take part in another event and win more medals. " (taken from the IOC's website).

It wasen't a factor for Speed Skating Team pursuit, and I tink the reason guiven is quite lame, aspecialy considering the prestise those events would gater. The same goes with the mixed biathlon relay.

As for Women's Ski Jumping and mixed curling, well, they are yet to have been stage in a World Championship. Hopefully they will be included in 2014.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, boy. This news could get ugly down the road. Remember the reasons why the IOC chose to reject women's ski jumping to be in the official Olympic winter program? Well, it seems that some women in the sport are not happy about it and may put forward a human rights case against the IOC and, possibly, the FIS over that decision:

Link: CBC: Female Ski Jumpers Challenge Olympic Ban

Oh, boy. This news could get ugly down the road. Remember the reasons why the IOC chose to reject women's ski jumping to be in the official Olympic winter program? Well, it seems that some women in the sport are not happy about it and may put forward a human rights case against the IOC and, possibly, the FIS over that decision:

Link: CBC: Female Ski Jumpers Challenge Olympic Ban

Can't people just shut up and look for a minute. There isn't enough athletes, countries or competition for women's ski jumping. Also there are sports that only women compete in because of lack of male athletes, rthymic gynmanstics and snycro for starters.

Didn't the Australian women's waterpolo team do seething like that prior to the 2000 Olympics to get the women's side of the sport included?

Although it is a bit unfair about the summer sports of synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics, we've got to realize that 22 nations (which is PLENTY) have top performing female ski jumping teams and the current ski jumping events (team, normal hill, large hill, and first portions of nordic combined evemts) only take up half the olympic fortnight.

Is it so unreasonable to operate the jumping venue for another day or two to accomodate a women's event, instead of having it sit dormant?

All of that aside from the reasoning that women are "unseasoned to the demands of ski jumping", which is ludicrous to begin with. As long as women play ice hockey I say, they can do anything in the olympics!

Well, I do agree with the IOC that the competition in Ski Jumping is king of low, but on the other end of the spectrum, Women's Ice Hockey at Nagano only had six teams competing. So I say if woman's Ice Hockey was included in Nagano, they is really only one excuse not to include Women's Ski Jumping in Vancouver: the sport will only start to be competed at the FIS world Championship in 2009, and it is required for any new events included to have been included in a world championship at least twice. To bad the FIS decided not to included Women's Ski Jumping in the 2007 nordic skiing championship, the decision might have been different.

I do believe that the inclusion of Women's Ski Jumping would be a great boost to the sport in North America: after all, both the USA and Canada have serious contenders in the event.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, here;'s some new info about possible new inclusions at Vancouver:

IOC Considers new events

Skicross sounds great _ Snowboard cross was one of my faves at Torino, and if it's anything like that, it should be a winner!

As long as the leader in the final isn't as thick as her in the snowboarding final. That was easily the most hilarious sporting moment of last year.

• 4 weeks later...

It has happened. A human rights complaint has been filed against the IOC about the sporting organization's decision of not including women's ski jumping as part of the official Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics program. Should the decision go the Canadian womens' way, then the IOC may have no choice but to include women's ski jumping, along with ski cross, in the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. Also, that decision will be four years ahead of an alleged IOC decision in its wanting to put the event in the 2014 Winter Olympics instead.

Link: CBC: Women Ski Jumpers File Discrimination Complaint Over Olympic Snub

Second article found later:

Link: CBC: Female Ski Jumpers Take Their Olympic Case To Human Rights Commission

Edited by Guardian

^ i'd love to see the event in 2010, but it's not like the IOC isn't going to add the event in eventually. they said the sport isn't strong enough just yet....hell, it won't even have its first world competition until 2009.