Ferenc Puskás Dies

ñuto

Ferenc Puskás (1927-2006) was a Hungarian and Spaniard footballer and coach.

He played for Honvéd and Hungary before joining Real Madrid and going onto play for Spain. During the 1950s, in a Hungarian team that also included Zoltán Czibor, Sándor Kocsis, József Bozsik and Nándor Hidegkuti, he was captain of the legendary Mighty Magyars. After the 1956 Hungarian Revolution he moved to Spain where he became part of the legendary Real Madrid team that also included Alfredo Di Stéfano, Francisco Gento, Raymond Kopa and José Santamaria.

He played 85 games with Hungary and was Olympic Champion in Helsinki 1952. Puskás scored four times at the Olympic tournament including the opening goal in the final. They also twice gave England a footballing lesson. In 1953 they stunned England with a 6-3 win at Wembley Stadium and then in 1954 they gave them a 7-1 hammering in Budapest. Puskás scored two goals in each game against England. In 1953 they also won the Dr. Gerõ Cup, a nations cup for Central European teams. The tournament began in 1948 and took five years to complete. Hungary eventually emerged top of the table with 11 points. Puskás finished the tournament as top scorer with 10 goals and scored twice as Hungary claimed the trophy with a 3-0 win over Italy in Rome in 1953.

The unbeaten run came to an end in the 1954 World Cup Final when Hungary lost 3-2 to West Germany. The game saw Puskás playing even though he was not fully fit. Despite this he put his team ahead after only 6 minutes, and with Czibor adding another two minutes later it seemed destined that the pre-tournament favourites would take the title. However the Germans pulled back two goals before half time and the tide began to turn. The second half saw telling misses from the Hungarian team and then with six minutes left the Germans scored the winner. Puskás then had a goal disallowed with two minutes left before the game and Hungary’s unbeaten run was ended...

In 1956 he refused to return to Hungary and played for Español and Real Madrid,with the Madrid he won 5 Spanish "ligas" and one European Cup (1960),he also played with Spain in the 1962 World Cup.

requiescat in pace

Ferenc Puskas also worked in Greece as a coach.

Since 1969 was coach of Panathinaikos and in 1971-1972 lead the team at the final of the Champions League of that time in London against Ayax.

He also coached AEK for a few months in 1978.

KEDVES ÖCSI BÁCSI!

ÓRIÁST, A LEGNAGYOBBAT, VESZTETT MA A NEM CSAK A MAGYARSÁG: A VILÁG SPORTRAJONGÓI, AZ EMBERISÉG!

SOHA NEM FOGUNK TÉGED TUDNI ELFELEJTENI ÉS NAGYOBB NÁLAD SOHA NEM LESZ!

NYUGODJ BÉKÉBEN...

Hey Attila, could you please translate that from Magyar. :)

He was such a legend in soccer.

Hey Attila, could you please translate that from Magyar. :)

He was such a legend in soccer.

Of course.

Dear "Uncle little brother" - Perhaps I should explain this. He had dozens of nicknames, and he got at least one new in every country he worked and lived for some time, during his forced exile. In Hungary one of his most popular nicknames was "Öcsi", which means little/baby brother, because of his short build. People kept calling him like this and when he returned to his native country, he had come to age and people added "Bácsi" wich means uncle, and which is off course contradictive to "Öcsi", but in the case of his unique personality it seems to make sense. But both names are very affectionate. Every hungarian family has at least one "Öcsi", and a few "Bácsis", but there has only been one "Öcsi Bácsi" ever...

Today a Giant, the Greatest ever was lost not only to all Hungarians, but to all sport lovers, to humankind.

We will never forget You, and no one will ever be greater than You.

Rest in peace...

• 3 weeks later...

Former IOC president, Juan Antonio Samaranch, attended his funeral:

Link: IOC-> Puskas: Life And Death Of A Great Footballer

Sorry about not putting that accent over the letter "a" there. I still do not know how to do that.

There are specials on Ferenc Puskas on the site of Hungarian sport magazine "Nemzeti Sport" in English: http://www.nemzetisport.hu/Puskas_eng_index.php and Spanish: http://www.nemzetisport.hu/Puskas_esp_index.php

A propos: I cannot use the format buttons to format my messages. Anyone have any idea why? Maybe because I use Firefox?

Hi, Attila. It has been a while, since I last saw a new post here from you. Anyway, GBModerator and his team is still fixing the problems with the format and like icons here because the forum engine has been upgraded and, I guess, some functions became incompatible during the switch. It has nothing to do with your Firefox. I'm using Firefox as I type this message.

Archived