Doping Bans

Guardian

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't really see the link between sport and modelling, but there you go.

I simply don't think a four year ban, on a first offence, is acceptable. Take a 25 year old athlete as an example. Ban him for four years, on a first offence, and he comes back at 29, past his peak and his career at the top level potentially all but over.

An extreme example I know, but that's the problem with this system. Whatever system they go for, it has to be clear and without exception. I would favour two years for a first offence, life for a second. No ifs, no buts.

Actually, I don't think proven offenders, no matter age, has anything to do in top-level sports. One argument is that some dopants lead to permanent muscle growth etc., another argument is that the doping control in some countries are still so sloppy that they can have been cheating their competitors for years. Doping is not an impulsive act, it is planned cheating on your mates. The main argument, however, is that athletes returning from a dope sentence is a liability for the whole sport. In the sport I know best, cross country skiing, the most-winning female skier in this years W-Ch was caught using epo (or was it nesp?) in 2001, and that she comes back winning a few years later just gives a terrible image of the whole sport, especially considering that this person still is in close contact with her old (dope-dealing) coach.

I want to see a ban for life, it may feel unfair for the individual (you may have noticed how almost all are "innocent"), but it would be to the best for the sport and the honest players.

Yes, definitely. That would give the individuals that choose to cheat their fellow competitors and put their sport into disgrace through a well-considered act a chance to go on to other professions, like the glorious professions of car salesman, real estate agent or lawyer, where such unscrupulous behaviour is more appreciated...

I can't see what he's got to be proud about, to be honest.

If that doesn't get your mind going, then this will. There are reports that Pound wants to put his name forward for president of CAS. For those who do not know what "CAS" stands for, here it is: The Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Link: CBC: Montreal Lawyer Dick Pound Eyes Job As President Of Arbitration Court

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it is over for Richard Pound as head of WADA at the end of this year. Later this year, a new WADA chief will be chosen at its November conference in Madrid.

Link: CBC: Pound Quits World Anti-Doping Agency

What is Pound going to do now? He is still one of two Canadian IOC members.

Well, it looks like the fight to take over WADA is down to two (according to reports here):

MONTREAL, Sept 23, 2007 (AFP) - An Australian former Finance Minister emerged Sunday as a contender to head the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) in a challenge to the current vice-president and former French Sports Minister Jean-Francois Lamour.

John Fahey, whose candidature was voted on at a WADA meeting here this weekend, will contest a vote to be taken at a WADA meeting in Madrid on November 15-17 by the representatives of the agency's 17 member governments.

Fahey was Federal Finance Minister from 1997 to 2001 when he retired from politics. He was New South Wales Premier from 1992 to 1995.

Lamour, who had been the only candidate, said Saturday's vote was taken by a block including representatives of New Zealand, United States and South Africa ``without any mandate from their member governments''.

``The question is to know what we want to do with the WADA in the future, with the revised code there will be a lot of flexibility,'' Lamour said Sunday.

``If there is going to be flexibility then WADA needs to have authority.''

Lamour, a two-time Olympic fencing champion, was elected WADA vice-president last November for the year 2007.

On September 12 Lamour was designated as the Council of Europe's candidate for the WADA presidency.

There is a convention whereby the WADA presidency alternates between a sports representative and a government candidate.

The current president Dick Pound, a sports representative, has headed the agency since it was created in 1999. His mandate expires this year.

I've always liked Fahey (the NSW Premier who famously jumped for joy at the moment it was announced Sydney had won the 2000 Olympics). Despite him being from the opposite side of politics than my sympathies usually lay, I've always had respect for him.

• 3 weeks later...

Werll, it looks like the job is Fahey's in all, but the asking now:

PARIS, Oct 15, 2007 (AFP) - Australian politician John Fahey, best known for helping to win the 2000 Olympics for Sydney, is the new front-runner to head the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) with the French candidate reportedly intending to withdraw.

The current WADA vice-president and former French Sports Minister, Jean-Francois Lamour, is expected to announce his withdrawal from the race on Tuesday, according to the website of the French sports daily L'Equipe.

Lamour, who was the sole candidate until the late challenge from Fahey, told AFP Monday he still had ``one or two telephone calls to make'' before finalising his decision.

Looks like Lamour is showing his true colors about WADA: HE REALLY HATES IT! He thinks the whole organization is just "one big gong show." :rolleyes:

Looks like Lamour is showing his true colors about WADA: HE REALLY HATES IT! He thinks the whole organization is just "one big gong show." :rolleyes:

Seems he was a bit like popular opinion of the Paris 2012 bid _ assumed he should have been given the prize by acclamation, and got pissed-off that he actually had to lobby for it.

Seems he was a bit like popular opinion of the Paris 2012 bid _ assumed he should have been given the prize by acclamation, and got pissed-off that he actually had to lobby for it.

Well, Rogge was not happy, when the news came out. Don't have to mention here what Pound had to say about it.

No one ever assumed that Paris should be given the prize by acclamation....

No one ever assumed that Paris should be given the prize by acclamation....

Lamour was certainly expecting the job without having to lobby _ his comments when he dropped out were along the lines that he didn't expect to have to beg for the job.

Paris _ yes, agreed they weren't expecting 2012 by acclamation (unlike the Greeks for 1996). I know this is a sore point that opens up debates here, but whether or not the Paris team were in reality overconfident about their chances or not, the popular perception in many areas was that they did indeed expect to win.

The Word According to Dickie ....

TORONTO, Oct 24 Reuters - World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) chief Dick Pound claims former International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Juan Antonio Samaranch tried to sweep doping under the carpet to protect IOC interests.

``Samaranch wasn't interested in the issue,'' Pound told Reuters in a telephone interview.

``There was no money available for research and Samaranch wasn't interested in using the Olympic leverage against the international federations to make them do their job.

``He was never willing to do that.''

Samaranch, who took over as IOC chief in 1980, is credited with turning the then lagging fortunes of the Olympic movement around and creating a popular and commercially successful product with the Summer and Winter Olympics.

He also greatly enhanced the political clout of the IOC worldwide.

The Spaniard's mandate ended in 2001 and was succeeded by Jacques Rogge, who has advocated a zero tolerance policy on drugs.

Pound said were it not for the 1998 Festina team cycling scandal at the Tour de France, where officials found performance-enhancing drugs and police raided team hotels to find more drugs, things would not have changed.

``I think we would have went on like that for a long time if it hadn't been for the Festina fiasco in 1998,'' he said.

Doping has since become an even bigger problem in world sport, again seriously damaging the image of cycling during the Tour de France in 2006 and 2007.

Athletics has also taken a direct hit following the recent confession of triple Olympic champion Marion Jones of taking performance-enhancing drugs.

She now faces a prison sentence of up to six months after pleading guilty to two counts of providing false statements to federal investigators.

Pound said the Festina scandal essentially led to the creation of WADA as the credibility of the IOC and the international federations had been greatly undermined.

``I told him (Samaranch), we are now in a position where nobody believes the IOC anymore, nobody believes the UCI (International Cycling Union)

``What we need is a completely independent agency,'' said Pound, who became WADA's first president.

Pound, who is stepping down at the end of this year, also ran for IOC president in 2001 but lost out to Rogge.

Samaranch was unavailable for comment.

Hmmm. So now we're starting to hear what Pound really thought of His Excellency!

The Word According to Dickie ....

Hmmm. So now we're starting to hear what Pound really thought of His Excellency!

Hardly a scoop actually.

He is one of the ver very few IOC members who dared criticize Samaranch while he was President (in Budapest in 1995 when Samaranch managed to push the age limit so that he could seek another term two years later).

Archived