Vancouver 2010 at Torino 2006 Closing Ceremony

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it actually looks promising (not another Imagine 2010), i like the creative team:

Vancouver - The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) announced today that it has recruited talent from across Canada to join its ceremonies staff in creating and producing Vancouver 2010's participation in the Closing Ceremony of the Torino 2006 Olympic Winter Games, to be held on February 26, 2006 at Stadio Olimpico in Torino, Italy.                                

"Our participation in the Torino Closing Ceremonies is an extraordinary opportunity to showcase Canada to the world," said VANOC CEO, John Furlong. "Though we are a very small part of the Torino 2006 Organizing Committee's much bigger show, they've given us an unprecedented window to showcase talent from across our country before an international stage."

VANOC's participation in the Closing Ceremony includes the traditional Olympic Flag handover and an eight minute entertainment segment. VANOC will use that opportunity to start to tell the story of Canada's Games in 2010 by featuring a combination of broad-based Canadian talent and uniquely Canadian themes that reflect the country from coast to coast to coast. The Torino Closing Ceremony is expected to have a live audience of 33,000 and an estimated television viewing audience of more than 500 million worldwide.

Burke Taylor, vice president of culture and ceremonies for VANOC, is executive producer of the VANOC segment of the Closing Ceremony, joined by VANOC's Marti Kulich as producer. Taylor and Kulich assembled an impressive team from across Canada - from Newfoundland to Vancouver Island - to create the concept for its segment in the Torino Closing Ceremony. Their creative team includes:

- Robert Lepage, renowned playwright and director from Quebec

- Jacques Lemay of Victoria, Artistic Director of the 1988 Olympic Winter Games Opening Ceremony

- Lyn Heward of Montreal-based Cirque du Soleil

- Jillian Keilley, director, from St. John's, Newfoundland

- Sal Ferreras, Vancouver-based musician and composer

- Alan Clark, former head of Olympic properties for CBC

"Each of these talented individuals contributed key creative content that we've shaped into a very Canadian invitation to the world," said Kulich.

VANOC has engaged award-winning Canadian choreographer and director Mark Godden to direct its segment of the Closing Ceremony. Godden most recently created two highly acclaimed works for the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, "Dracula" and "The Magic Flute."  "I am thrilled to be directing and choreographing this piece for the 2006 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony and I am honoured to have the opportunity to create a vision of Canada for the 2010 Games Organizing Committee that we can share with the world," said Godden.

"The Torino 2006 Organizing Committee and K2006, the producers of the Torino Opening and Closing Ceremonies, have given us a generous welcome and all of the support we could hope for.  We are truly fortunate to find ourselves working with such an outstanding ceremonies team," said Taylor.

Information on VANOC's participation at the Torino 2006 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, including further details on its segment of the Closing Ceremony will be released closer to the Torino Games. Certain elements of the performance will be kept in confidence until the Closing Ceremony. The Torino 2006 Olympic Winter Games will be held from February 10 to 26, 2006.

500 million tv viewers seem to be smaller than usual.  the SLC closing had 2 billion.

Imagine 2010 wasn't worrying at all. Of course you are going to purposely not put as much effort/time into a thing like that to make sure no beats are skipped for the big things like the handover and the opening.

It's good that Victoria is being represented in the lineup. Being the capital and all.

Judging by this press release, it appears that they are going to produce something more spectacular and visually appealing than the feared dancing beavers and mounties.  And it will be pan-Canadian.  Good start!

Sydney's segment in Atlanta

olympicflaghand_06.jpg

The theme will probably be about Canada as a whole and not just Vancouver specifically.

it should be 50/50.

I think having mostly about Vancouver may be easier than having 50% be about Canada, which would entail using those few things all of Canada has in common.

All the more reason I want to see how it will turn out over there at Torino. Of course, the flag hand-over ceremony to mayor Sullivan and the rendition of the Canadian national anthem, too, to some of us.

I wouldn't be surprised if they flew over the entire RCMP Musical Ride to Torino for the closing ceremony to carry in the giant Canadian Flag used in previous Olympics and for the singing of O Canada.

The theme of the handover ceremony will obviously centre around the inukshuk and Ilanaaq. This is Vancouver's and Canada's opportunity to explain the symbol to the world.

I wouldn't mind seeing a group of children actually building an inukshuk in the middle of the stadium pointing the athletes and the world towards Canada and Vancouver.

Of course there will be native groups involved in the ceremony with the drummers and a mini pow wow.

Large images of Canada and Vancouver projected onto the stadium floor will probably be used while some famous Canadian person of group performs.

Of course, no handover ceremony would be complete without children from Vancouver waving to the children in Torino and yelling see you in 2010 on the video screens!

Louroz

Actually in Vancouver, i will return europe the 5 february... and will be in Torino (and in the olympic stadium) for the Closing Ceremony !

Vive Vancouver 2010 ! Vive Canada....

Une français !!!

RCMP Musical Ride

4-circles.jpg

if u ask me, we need more than riders.

my idea is that immediately following the singing of the national anthems of Canada and Italy and the flag handover, a video starts playing (like the Beijing handover).

after that, i'd laid off on projecting images of Canada on the stadium floor.

The handover will be very old hat, "Canada classique", except for the logo presentation and whatever leads up to that, obviously. The new, cool, modern stuff will be in the works for the actual opening ceremony. They don't want to do really cool stuff now because if they did they'd have a hard time following it up with the actual opening ceremonies.

I'm  predicting something involving the Pacific ocean/the deep sea (and NO horrid ring of fire), followed by the Canadian red colour miscellany which would contain things like the maple leaf, RCMP, woodland animals galore, and even a red colour centered native thing, as red is pretty a pretty important native pac-nw colour anyways, so why not tie it in to the national colours? And finally, something about the mountains of BC which provides the mental link of the stone theme to the logo presentation.

OH! And hopefully they do another kung fu thing like Beijing did. Except have it be Celine vs. Alanis. And both of them singing in tandem during the battle as well. Just for fun.  :wwww: "...my heart will (CHOP!) go onnnnnnnnnn..." "..i've got one hand in my (KICK!) pocket and the othar one is givin a (PUNCH!) peaaaaseeesigggn-eeeYIAHH!!!"

the Canadian red colour miscellany which would contain things like the maple leaf, RCMP, woodland animals galore, and even a red colour centered native thing, as red is pretty a pretty important native pac-nw colour

Uhmmm...Beijing's Opening will probably beat you to that.  Red is the color of life in Chinese culture - so they'll have a 2-year lead on an Vancouver red.  Well, maybe Beijing will be in the red first... in the Montreal sense of the word.   :wwww:

RCMP Musical Ride

4-circles.jpg

if u ask me, we need more than riders.

my idea is that immediately following the singing of the national anthems of Canada and Italy and the flag handover, a video starts playing (like the Beijing handover).

after that, i'd laid off on projecting images of Canada on the stadium floor.

This picture kind of reminds me of the beginning sequence of the Sydney 2000 opening ceremony, where they did use horses to make the Olympic Rings.

However, that was then and this is what may come up. I don't expect anything fancy in the presentation, but it wouldn't cross my mind if we end up having to see them again.

the Canadian red colour miscellany which would contain things like the maple leaf, RCMP, woodland animals galore, and even a red colour centered native thing, as red is pretty a pretty important native pac-nw colour

Uhmmm...Beijing's Opening will probably beat you to that.  Red is the color of life in Chinese culture - so they'll have a 2-year lead on an Vancouver red.  Well, maybe Beijing will be in the red first... in the Montreal sense of the word.   :wwww:

Doesn't matter. It's not like there's more noticably different colours to choose from.  :o

Even Athens got away with simiarities to Sydney with all of that polychromatic blue.

At least Vancouver is a winter city and wont have anything to do with Beijing theatrically.

Besides, Vancouver is SOOOO asian anyways.  :wwww:

My insiders tips as to what the handover will look like:

First, the dancing mounties will ride in and perform:

T059026A.jpg

Followed by an indian pow wow:

32-5-41rapidcitypow.jpg

And then the audience will all be invited to light their complimentary bongs filled with some of BC's finest, creating a beautiful blue haze in the stadium:

hop_hop_concert.jpg

And then the mascot of the 2010 Vancouver Games will be introduced:

Sammy the Seal!  :wwww:

seal.jpg

And then some of the indians and mounties will attempt to club the seal (habit you know) but he will get away

Followed by Canada's most famous singer and worldwide icon inviting the world to visit Vancouver in 2010

celine.jpg

The end.  :laughlong:

At least Vancouver is a winter city and wont have anything to do with Beijing theatrically.

Besides, Vancouver is SOOOO asian anyways.

Vancouver dose have a large asian presence, if i am not worng, Vancouver has one of the largest Chinatowns, and I have seen some Vancouver 2010 Videos that had some use of the Asian flare.