Chicago Versus La

Sir Rols

I really don't think the USOC will waste an opportunity like this for 2016. I mean if Chicago or LA aren't ready now, when will they ever? No bid is ever 100% secure.

True,but I think the USOC wants to feel reasonably confident that whichever city they go for has a fighting chance and that anti-American feeling will not be a significant factor by the time of the next vote in 2009.Hence the recent soundings they have been taking amongst various IOC members.They don't want to risk being humiliated again for the second time running.

I think they will go for it.My two-pennyworth.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus, per GB's report on Doha/Qatar going the Madrid/Istanbul way; it seems that the IOC's letter of interest deadline has been extended from June 2007 to September 2007. So Chicago has a few more months to solidify its bid; and the USOC has a few more months to weigh Chicago's bid vs. the potential rivals, other than Tokyo, Rome, Madrid and Rio.

I wonder what factors prompted the IOC to extend the deadline? They don't normally do that.

I wonder what factors prompted the IOC to extend the deadline? They don't normally do that.

Maybe not enough cities have committed themselves to bid for 2016 so the IOC has decided to extend the deadline to give them more time?

I am starting to get the feeling it's not going to happen. . .and that kind of frightens me because I have been right about New York and San Francisco so far.

So why the change of heart? I mean, Daley seems to be in absolute control of the City; and it looks like it's all systems go for Chicago, is it not? Chicago losing heart?

Maybe not enough cities have committed themselves to bid for 2016 so the IOC has decided to extend the deadline to give them more time?

How many more do they want? So far, there are Tokyo, Rome, Madrid. Now Doha wants in; Rio's a maybe; and a maybe from the US, too. If Rio and the US commit, then you have 6 there for 2016 -- about the same as last time. With 6, they won't even have to make a short list. And that's from 4 continents to choose from... two more than last time when they had only 2 to pick from.

BTW, how do these frickin' format codes now work? They seem to be more difficult than last time, as well.

How many more do they want? So far, there are Tokyo, Rome, Madrid. Now Doha wants in; Rio's a maybe; and a maybe from the US, too. If Rio and the US commit, then you have 6 there for 2016 -- about the same as last time. With 6, they won't even have to make a short list. And that's from 4 continents to choose from... two more than last time when they had only 2 to pick from.

BTW, how do these frickin' format codes now work? They seem to be more difficult than last time, as well.

I think 6 candidate cities are enough, too.

Since it seems that costs to hold an Olympics seem to be spiraling ever upwards, I could see the pendulum swinging the other way; I wouldn't doubt that in the near future, fewer and fewer cities will want to host the Olympics because of the cost.

And yeah, I don't like these new format codes. For links, I'm just posting the URL's now.

Well,apart from Tokyo and Madrid,have any other cities definitely committed yet? It's like you say...Rio's a maybe and so is a US city.Has Rome formally committed yet? As we speak,there seem to be still too many 'ifs,buts and maybes' with many of these interested cities and no formal commitment apart from Madrid and Tokyo and perhaps the IOC is sensing this and has decided to give them more time to make up their minds.As with last time,the IOC wants as many serious contenders as possible and is prepared to extend the deadlines to encourage this to happen.Just my two penny-worth!

I know,I can't work them either at the moment.I sent a PM to the Moderator about it but he's not replied to me yet.

Don't forget the mighty Azerbaijani bid from Baku!

Yeah, these codes and format buttons only seem to be here for decoration at the moment.

Not much news coming out of the US 2016 race, but today Daley had a economic meeting at the Palmer House discussing the Olympic Bid with the head honchos of Chicago business. According to the article, it was basically a pep rally in there.

Article:

Chicago rallies for 2016 Olympic bid

Posted: Tuesday December 12, 2006 10:39PM; Updated: Tuesday December 12, 2006 10:39PM

CHICAGO (AP) -- At what was basically a pep rally Tuesday for the city's business elite, Mayor Richard M. Daley touted Chicago as the best city for the U.S. bid for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.

Daley listed several reasons why Chicago should be chosen, including its position as one of the top economic centers in the world, its ability to handle large crowds, its residents' love of athletic competitions and the natural beauty of the city -- with Lake Michigan providing a backdrop for many of the events.

Daley also said the Chicago proposal has the benefit of being compact. All the athletes would be located within 15 minutes of the venues where they would compete, he said.

"The time is ripe for a U.S. city to host the Olympic games. That city should be Chicago," Daley told about 1,600 business leaders gathered in a hotel ballroom.

Chicago Olympic committee chairman Patrick Ryan told the group the Olympic Village would cost about $1 billion, but would be privately financed. Built near Chicago's lakefront, the village could be converted later to mixed-income housing.

"I'm confident it will be a hot development," Ryan said, adding that some of the nation's top developers would be asked to bid on the project.

What was once a competition between Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco became a contest strictly between L.A. and the Windy City when San Francisco abandoned its bid last month.

San Francisco had built its effort to attract the 2016 Olympics around a new 49ers football stadium at Candlestick Point. When the 49ers announced in November they were considering a move to Silicon Valley, team officials said they had warned the bid committee not to compose its entire proposal the new stadium.

When the bidding process for the 2016 Games began last spring, the U.S. Olympic Committee told various city officials that they must either have an existing Olympic stadium or financing and approvals in place for a new stadium to receive consideration.

Chicago is counting on private financing to pay for its Olympic dreams, which include building a 95,000-seat stadium in Washington Park on the city's South Side. The stadium would be converted after the games to a 10,000-seat amphitheater that could host other sporting events.

Los Angeles, the host of the 1932 and 1984 Games, would use a refurbished Los Angeles Coliseum. The extent of the restoration will depend in part on whether the NFL returns to Los Angeles.

The International Olympic Committee will select the host city in 2009. Madrid, Spain; New Delhi; Prague, Czech Republic; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Rome; and Tokyo are among those to have expressed interest. The Summer Olympics will be in Beijing in 2008 and London in 2012.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

A Few more interesting notes today on the Chicago 2016 Pep Rally.

1.) Chicago 2016's slogan is now "Stir the Soul" Chicago 2016.

2.) The USOC has announced the decision on the international race will be right after New Years

3.) Chicago is now very close to the 25 million dollar goal.

4.) Chicago 2016 passed out brochures announcing an Olympic Bid Fund raiser on March 1st 2007, bringing up the question, has the USOcCalready decided to bid?

5.) The USOC will be making visits to LA and Chicago this month before the January decision.

Link and Video:

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_346231349.html

So why the change of heart? I mean, Daley seems to be in absolute control of the City; and it looks like it's all systems go for Chicago, is it not? Chicago losing heart?

Not really a change of heart with regards to Chicago's abilities. I am just questioning whether the USOC will actually decide to make a bid.

I also sincerely believe that we are heading into a situation such as happened in the late 70's - late 80's where the Olympics were essentially at deaths door due to the high costs associated with hosting them as well as the many restrictions put onto prospective host cities by the IOC.

A Few more interesting notes today on the Chicago 2016 Pep Rally.

1.) Chicago 2016's slogan is now "Stir the Soul" Chicago 2016.

2.) The USOC has announced the decision on the international race will be right after New Years

3.) Chicago is now very close to the 25 million dollar goal.

4.) Chicago 2016 passed out brochures announcing an Olympic Bid Fund raiser on March 1st 2007, bringing up the question, has the USOcCalready decided to bid?

5.) The USOC will be making visits to LA and Chicago this month before the January decision.

1. I like the slogan. Where can I order that drink?

2. Didn't I tell you guys? I think it will be a 'go.'

3. Good.

4. I think 'yes.' But it's also putting out the word that maybe any future Olympic donations could be included in the year-end budgets -- that's why they were passing out those solicitiations now. They can always be cancelled if the USOC decides otherwise.

Did they show any perspectives of the stadium? I think a lot of Chicago's chances will be riding on a smash-eroo Stadium rendering. Again, even if that's not the design that eventually gets being built, the IOC has the MO RUsh-syndrome. It likes to delude itself in seeing GRAND stadia "built for itself" in the presentations. Now whether or not, the stadia do get built, it doesn't matter. It's the grandness of the design that matters. Take London 2012's case....ahem.

5. I'm wishing Chicago the best of luck.

Oh, and so far, I am counting 7 serious candidates for 2016:

Baku, AZE

Chicago, USA

Doha, QTR

Madrid, ESP

Monterrey, MEX

Rio de Janeiro, BRA

Roma, ITA

Tokyo, JPN

So the IOC will go into a Short List phase.

I haven't really caught up on this topic, but what are the deficiencies of either a possible LA or Chicago Olympic bid? Do either of them "need work" BEFORE the 2016 decision is handed down in Denmark in 2009?

I haven't really caught up on this topic, but what are the deficiencies of either a possible LA or Chicago Olympic bid? Do either of them "need work" BEFORE the 2016 decision is handed down in Denmark in 2009?

Catch up, man. Yes, considering Chicago only got serious in the last 7 or 8 months, then Chicago has a bit to do to get up to speed. But it has the cache and critical mass for momentum; and it looks like its got its whole business community (#2 in the US) behind it now.

Catch up, man. Yes, considering Chicago only got serious in the last 7 or 8 months, then Chicago has a bit to do to get up to speed. But it has the cache and critical mass for momentum; and it looks like its got its whole business community (#2 in the US) behind it now.

OK, let's move this thread up rather than all that kvetching and all those dead cells of Toronto.

Let's continue. With the way Beijing and London have their transportation plans set up for their respective Olympic Games, can either LA or Chicago have such infrastructure "right now" to handle the possible crunch or will either of them have to upgrade their transport systems?

Let's continue. With the way Beijing and London have their transportation plans set up for their respective Olympic Games, can either LA or Chicago have such infrastructure "right now" to handle the possible crunch or will either of them have to upgrade their transport systems?

I've only visited Chicago twice, but Chicago is a 'central core' city -- so it has good transportation arteries leading into and out of the city. And remember, when the Games are held in 2 weeks in the Summer, school will be out; people who aren't interested in the Games, won't travel out or will leave town -- so the visiting Olympic crowds will take up the slack. Plus, they will fine tune traffic flow, dedicated-only Olympic traffic lanes, etc., etc.

Remember, Chicago is/was not the #2 American city for nothing.

Personally, I don't like posting things like this, for some reasons that could puzzle you guys, but Chicago's subway system is not bad at all with this map:

fwebmaptrain.gif

Personally, I don't like posting things like this, for some reasons that could puzzle you guys, but Chicago's subway system is not bad at all with this map:

fwebmaptrain.gif

Daley has been proposing a "circle line" for some years now. It would more or less be a second "loop" in order to make line transfers easier and more efficient. If Chicago lands the games, the new circle line WILL be constructed.

I believe that the Central Circulator is part of Chicago's plan.

Interesting tidbit about Chicago's el/subway system. The Green Line was originally built to get people to and from The Loop for the 1893 Worlds Fair. Kind of neat that that same line and 2 of the same stations may once again be put into service to get people to and from The Olympics.

Seems there's really nothing new to report about the Chicago/LA Olympic rivalry, but here's something from the Los Angeles Daily News:

Southland coalition aims to bring 2016 Olympics to L.A.

Touting the success of the 1984 games and the availability of world-class athletic facilities, a coalition of civic and business leaders aims to build a strong argument for bringing the 2016 Olympics to Los Angeles.

The Southern California Committee for the Olympic Games is compiling a three-binder bid package to present Jan. 22 to the U.S. Olympic Committee. A similar proposal is being developed by Chicago — the only other U.S. city seeking the designation — but Los Angeles officials think they hold a strong position.

"In many respects, Los Angeles is a city built for the Olympics," said Barry Sanders, an attorney with a penchant for bow ties and colorful socks who is orchestrating the initial Olympic bid.

"We have world-class facilities here already that are in public use. Nothing has to be built specially for the Olympics."

If Los Angeles wins the endorsement of the U.S. Olympic Committee in the spring, it will then be invited to prepare a bid for the International Olympic Committee, detailing the financing, venues and other provisions involved in staging the summer games.

"We think we know how to do this," Sanders said. "We've got a lot of people who were involved in 1984, and we have friends across the country willing to help us."

No Big Construction

Plans call for the Los Angeles Coliseum — the centerpiece of the 1932 and 1984 games — to be the venue for opening and closing ceremonies and the track competition in 2016.

Sanders said only one new venue would have to be built — a shooting range at Fairplex Park that could be turned over to law enforcement after the games.

Other facilities — from Staples Center and USC's Galen Center to Pauley Pavilion at UCLA — already meet or exceed most Olympic standards and would be available well in advance for international qualifying competitions.

"No other Olympic city has been able to offer that and, without massive construction, we won't have the arguments over siting and financing and cost overruns," Sanders said.

Additionally, the political battles that other cities may face over public financing of the games and other issues have already been addressed and resolved in Los Angeles.

"It is not a question," Sanders said. "Public money will not be used for this, and we expect to give back a great deal."

The Los Angeles model proved such a success that even government watchdogs praise the effort.

"For something like this, we would even support spending money to help organize them and put in the official bid," said Jon Coupal of the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association. "An event like this can bring in millions of dollars.

"As long as there is no massive public investment in major buildings, this can be a good deal for everyone."

'84 Games Profitable

In fact, the 1984 Olympics generated so much profit that backers were able to establish a nonprofit organization to promote and support amateur athletes.

Sanders said the Southern California Olympic committee is using that model to fund "Ready, Set, Gold," a program promoting physical fitness in the Los Angeles Unified School District.

Former Olympic athletes visit 30 targeted schools five times a year to speak to students about diet, exercise and physical fitness.

"We have a problem in the district where we score among the lowest in physical fitness," school board President Marlene Canter said. "When they came to us with this idea, it is exactly what we were looking for."

Sanders said he hopes to expand the program to 50 schools this coming year and that it will eventually be used as a model for international cities seeking the Games.

"This is something that we hope is lasting and spreads across the world," Sanders said.

Southland coalition aims to bring 2016 Olympics to L.A.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic had fallen way too far down the page! So time for a little news from the Windy City.

Chicago has just landed a new sports network.

Big Ten Network Chooses Chicago

I find it interesting that a spokesman from the State of Illinois seems is involved as well and obviously supporting Chicago's bid. That is good news.

I was in Chicago for a few days at Christmas. In just chatting with people at my favorite bar it is obvious that people are aware of the bid and excited about it.

Although I am upset that no apparel with the Chicago 2016 logo was available in the city (that I could find!) :angry:

This topic had fallen way too far down the page! So time for a little news from the Windy City.

Chicago has just landed a new sports network.

Big Ten Network Chooses Chicago

I find it interesting that a spokesman from the State of Illinois seems is involved as well and obviously supporting Chicago's bid. That is good news.

I was in Chicago for a few days at Christmas. In just chatting with people at my favorite bar it is obvious that people are aware of the bid and excited about it.

Although I am upset that no apparel with the Chicago 2016 logo was available in the city (that I could find!) :angry:

Looking good. One of the drawbacks of not including the US Men's Indoor Volleyball team in the FIVB World League was that it could not secure a local TV contract w/ which to show the US games. Altho they finally secured a college sports channel to carry the Games of the last 2 seasons, enabling the US men to compete, hopefully, this new Chicago-based network will elevate that Olympic sport connection another notch.

The USOC will hold a press conference in Colorado Springs tommorow, more than likely announcing that the US WILL put forth a bid for 2016.

Article:

USOC will make bid for 2016 Games

L.A. and Chicago groups will hear Tuesday about how to move forward with the the bidding process.

By Philip Hersh, Chicago Tribune

3:20 PM PST, January 8, 2007

The U.S. Olympic Committee is expected to announce Tuesday it has decided to submit a bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics. The candidates are Chicago and Los Angeles.

After an evaluation process that lasted more than six months, the USOC was to announce Tuesday morning whether it would enter a candidate in a field likely to include Tokyo, Rome, Doha (Qatar), and Rio de Janeiro.

While a decision to proceed has been considered inevitable, USOC officials will not have made it lightly. They wanted to make sure any U.S. city had a chance to win in 2016 and that the cities involved could present strong candidatures.

The USOC sent out an advisory late Monday about a forthcoming announcement and would not comment further.

The USOC would makes its choice at an April board meeting. The exact nature of the final selection process has yet to be determined.

Cities must submit their candidature to the International Olympic Committee by Sept. 15. The IOC members will vote for the 2016 host city in October 2009.

The next stage of the domestic bid process ends Jan. 22, the deadline for Chicago and Los Angeles to submit a candidature file with extensive documentation. For Chicago, that means providing details on its funding for some $800 million in Olympic sports venues and a $1 billion Olympic Village.

A USOC evaluation team would visit Chicago and Los Angeles for about three days each within next two months. The USOC board will hear the evaluation commission's report just before picking the U.S. candidate.

Archived