Melbourne - Sports Capital Of The World

I know we've had this debate before, especially during this year's Commonwealth Games, and it's a title that Melbourne always likes to bestow upon itself, but now it seems they finally have some substance to back their claims:

Melbourne tops the world for sports events

November 12, 2006

MELBOURNE has been named the world's top sports events city, ahead of joint second Paris and Sydney, in the first analysis of its kind.

The result is predicted to provide a boost to tourism, bids for events - including the soccer World Cup - and international opportunities for Melbourne's events planners and organisers.

The study found Melbourne had an "unparalleled track record reputation" for hosting sport, with international events industry bosses also praising its "versatility, stadia, city atmosphere and local passion for all sports".

In welcoming the result, Premier Steve Bracks said: "The world is acknowledging what we already know - that Melbourne is the sport capital of the world.

"This year's Commonwealth Games was just the latest in a long list of world-class sporting events staged in Melbourne - a list that stretches back to the 1956 Olympics and beyond."

The study to find the best location to hold a sports event was completed by London-based consulting and research firm ArkSports, whose clients include the NFL, BT, Visa and Ladbrokes.

Berlin, in Germany, was fourth, with London fifth. Twenty of the world's top sports cities were selected for the study, based on their history of hosting events.

Factors that were analysed and scored included each city's events list from 2002 to 2010, the public interest in terms of attendances and media coverage, their legacies, the city's quality of life, facilities, transport and accommodation, government support, weather and tourism.

In addition to analysing data, ArkSports took on the opinions of 50 events industry executives, including major sponsors.

As well as being overall winner, with 341.5 points - 29 points ahead of its nearest rivals - Melbourne was top for the level of public interest in events, its facilities, its number of major events won and the level of government support.

It finished second in the majority of other categories, including quality of life (behind Vancouver), accommodation (behind New York) and weather/tourism and legacy (behind Sydney).

The only area in which it polled badly was transport.

Hmmm. Even as a Sydneysider, I'd always been prepared to acknowledge that Melbourne was by far Australia's sports capital, and I will always attest that the passion for sports in Melbourne is astounding, even by normal Aussie standards. I think there probably is substance to this survey. I was also frankly surprised (though pleased) to see Sydney as joint second.

Anyway, this type of poll is always likely to generate debate.

For the record, the top five were:

1: Melbourne

2: Sydney

Paris

4: Berlin

5: London

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL _ and here's the Sydney media's riposte to the survey (not that I agree with it, it would be churlish of a Sydneysider to poo-poo Melbourne's sporting passion claims).

Southern city win just isn't on

By Ray Chesterton

November 13, 2006 12:00

LONDONERS interviewed by a research firm have shown no imagination in ignoring Sydney's claim to being the world's best city for staging sporting events.

Instead their opinions put Melbourne in the top spot above Sydney and Paris, who tied for second ahead of 17 other cities.

It found that Melbourne had an "unparalleled reputation for hosting sporting events".

How bewildering is that? How could Melbourne be better than Sydney when it comes to sport?

Melbourne owes whatever reputation it enjoys as a sports capital to Sydney's generosity.

Whenever Sydney is unavailable, Melbourne is a reliable substitute.

That's why Sydney got a gold: because it staged a modern Olympics, called the best ever.

Given its chance, Melbourne staged a very nice Commonwealth Games, which earned it a very commendable silver medal for best presentation on a limited basis.

It also picked up an animal liberation plaque for best use of a duck in an opening ceremony.

The survey said it concentrated on a city's reputation as a host of events since 2002.

Contributing factors included the list of events, attendance, media coverage, transport, accommodation, government support, weather and tourism.

Had we known the survey was imminent we might have made more of an effort to compete instead of letting a couple of events slip by.

For example, we could have staged the Australian Formula One Grand Prix – but how many drivers could have afforded the tolls?

We have sports here in Sydney that no other city can duplicate, although drive-by shootings are gaining popularity in some overseas countries and there is talk of a world cup.

We have pollie-ball. It gives punters a chance to pick the next Labor Party politician to be up on charges of misleading the house, molestation or refusing to divulge information that might benefit the public.

Knife-thrusting is also popular but usually dominated by Liberal and Labor branches at preselection. On other nights we have cash bonuses for guessing how long Freedom of Information requests will take to be processed.

If there was any sense of fairness Melbourne would be grateful for the contribution Sydney has made to its sporting achievements.

Without Archer walking from Nowra to Victoria in 1861 to win the first Melbourne Cup, it becomes a modest little race possibly for amateur riders.

And Delta Blues would be pulling a sushi train somewhere in Japan instead of being idolised.

Did we get any thanks?

Of course not. Ungrateful lot, those Victorians.

Daily Telegraph

Thanks for the chart, Mo. I checked out the site, but couldn't access the report without a subscription.

Interesting that when it comes to public sports interest, only Melbourne, Sydney and London scored more than 30, and the only other close ones were Paris and Madrid, on 30 itself. That does ring true to me. On the other hand, Beijing scored the lowest on the interest stakes, which seems to bear out the fears the French NOC have expressedm in the past few days.

Interesting that no American city makes the top 5 for Sports Interest,including Olympic hopeful Chicago! It has scored lower than its potential rival Madrid! I wonder if the IOC will take this into account when it comes to the 2016 vote in 3 years' time? ;)

Looks like a chart like this,prepared in advance of an IOC election, could be quite useful in helping some of the more undecided voters in choosing which city to support! B)

whats with cape towns high ranking?

Well, I notice it scored pretty solid mid-range in most categories, and did well particularly in the accomodation (really?) and the weather and tourism (understandably) categories.

A question, Mo _ would South Africans consider Capetown to be the leading sports city of the country?

there is no definitive sporting capital...cape town is prob on top overall..durban wants to promote itself as sporting capital..but then again thats all it has going for it..joburgs image needs much work before its seen as a true sport friendly city...

• 3 weeks later...
sportscitiescc7.jpg

cape town hehe

****...something like this should be brought to the attention of the IOC :)

maybe they really desperate for a games in cape town

cape town better facilities than madrid? hahahaha

well mo what surprizes me is NO LOS ANGELES what is up with that .

lets think about this .

A new velodrome

A new aquatics centre

A new soccer stadium

Two 18000 seat arenas that are less then 15 year old ( I would have to check)

Two NBA franchises

Two NHL franchises

Two major league baseball teams

One Major league soccer team

Two profitable summer olympics hostings the last one saving IOC.

multiple hostings of all major north american sport league all star games except the pro bowl for the NFL

Two 90,000 plus outdoor stadiums hosting olympic games ( La coliseum main stadium for olmypics twice The rose bowl the host of soccer games for the 1984 games)

Two division one NCAA college football teams ranked high in the NCAA rankings

multiple NCAA hostings of their aquatics championships in long beach

The long beach champ car grand prix hosted for atleast 20 years.

over 90 Rose Bowl games many of which were the national championship games .

Superbowl hostings

multiple world series hostings

A 220 million legacy fund for amatuer athletics since 1984

That survey is so bogus it has Ronald Walker writing all over it.

Total BS. Chicago or New york dont not even have the history of a los angeles for sports LOL

jim jones

It is hard to believe, with its' history and present day events, teams and facilties, that Los Angeles isn't on the list.

It is a BS report without los angeles . I bet ronald walker is behind it . it is his style

even the writer of his own fairfax media papers write he stretch the truth a bit.

jim jones

Agreed. I really dont see how cities like Beijing and Vancouver rate above Los Angeles. I really dont think there is any one given "sports capital", nore is there 2,3 or 4 obvious sporting meca's.

However it is good that cities Melbourne get some recognition for sports culture and support.

Wait until the next time this list adds Dubai to it. The city is supposed to have sporting complexes planned that could even make Melbourne in this regard "small league."

Nice to see Kuala Lumpur is 2nd in terms of transportation and weather & tourism... :D

That shows our transportation system and travel attractions are better than Melbourne, Sydney, Paris, London, Tokyo, Beijing, New York, etc.. lol!

I dont think its the attractions in KL, rather the area surrounding it and the rest of Maylasia.

I can agree with KL being a well renowned tourism capital, however, its attractions are not as world famous as that of London, Paris and New York. To an extent Tokyo, Sydney and Beijing.

Still, i understand why KL is featured highly on the list. Idead the sports hub for south-east-asia.

Wait until the next time this list adds Dubai to it. The city is supposed to have sporting complexes planned that could even make Melbourne in this regard "small league."

I think you under estimate Melbourne a little. Even with the new facilities Dubai will have i dont think they compare to the bredth of capacities and uses of that of cities such as Los Angeles and Melbourne.

I think you under estimate Melbourne a little. Even with the new facilities Dubai will have i dont think they compare to the bredth of capacities and uses of that of cities such as Los Angeles and Melbourne.

I'm not underestimating Melbourne here, if that means anything. I just heard, from the BBC, is that Dubai could be in trouble meeting its vacancy or usage goals for all those ambitious projects that it seems to want built "all in the same time." Yes, that includes the supposed sports complexes that it wants. Sure, Dubai has that "indoor ski resort", but how can some officials there claim that international sporting leagues and teams want to set up shop there? I thought I did remember some time ago that some Australian sporting officials were courted from them to "move their services", even their TEAMS to go to Dubai. Some European, Asian and African sporting entities were given the same royal treatment, too. I don't know that in real terms, given it has the immediate sense of a city trying to pilfer sporting talent from the world without knowing the consequences of doing that.

Archived