Parade Of Athletes Signs

taichi

I think it will be Red , its a lucky colour to the chinese and will be displayed with the same text as the logo 's . It could be in Chinese , English , Greek and some other lauguage

I doubt they'll use Greek. English and French are the official IOC languages, so I;d assume it will be those two and Chinese (Mandarin)

Yes. However, languages like Chinese doesn't really have a set base of symbols for "alphabetization." Instead, it is a toss-up between just using the English alphabet order or use the "romanization of the Chinese language" or the pin yin system to me here.

If the pin yin is used here, Canada would be "Jia Na Da" for example.

That's really interesting. Do you know where I could find out more about pin yin?

• 7 months later...

Maybe the technically-saavy Chinese can create little scoreboard-type devices that flash the name in the different languages. The ladies can wear them on their heads just like the Albertville bubble-girls.

When the CBC starts covering its last Olympic Games for a while at Beijing 2008 for Canadians, I bet the placard holders will be on their agenda. Like, what kind of dress will they be wearing? For Athens 2004, it was all ladies wearing dresses that had ancient Greek vase drawings on them.

As for the placards themselves, I will surmise personally that the simplified Chinese characters will be used at the top half while the English translation will take the bottom half. Also, since red is considered the most luckiest color of Chinese culture, I will not be surprised, if the placard is shaped somewhat like those small envelopes that is given out at the Chinese Lunar New Year with money inside.

I'm guessing that they'll use some sort of traditional Chinese banner, maybe with bells and a dragons head or what not, printing both Chinese characters and English letters down... maybe French might be used, who knows? <_<

As for the use of electronic signs, maybe... though a little dull for Beijing, maybe for some other Olympics?

What I would like to see (for any future Olympics) is a past Olympics segment similar to Atlanta, where the nations aren't shown by flags, but by similar banners and signs used for their Olympics...

What I would like to see (for any future Olympics) is a past Olympics segment similar to Atlanta, where the nations aren't shown by flags, but by similar banners and signs used for their Olympics...

Wasn't that Athens? With the hurdler running over the hurdles of past Olympics, and stumbling for the cancelled games?

Do we really need to repeat that again? Like, it was already shown in Atlanta and Athens. In between, SLC did that, too.

Well, Lord David, perhaps a combination of our ideas for the placards here?