Samaranch Goes In To Bat For Softball

Sir Rols

The wily old falang...., sorry, His Execellency Juan Antonio is back on the scene and stepping up to the plate to bring softball back ... at least for women.

Samaranch seeks Olympic reinstatement for women's softball

CBC Sports

Former International Olympic Committee president Juan Antonio Samaranch is going to bat for women's softball.

Samaranch has agreed to be the honourary chairman of a task force aimed at regaining Olympic status for the sport, the International Softball Federation said Thursday.

Softball will be played at the Beijing Games in 2008, but won't be on the roster of 2012 London Games.

Baseball was also eliminated from the 2012 program.

The softball federation hopes Samaranch, who was the president of the IOC for 22 years before being replaced by Jacques Rogge, can get the sport back on the docket for the 2016 Games.

The wily old falang...., sorry, His Execellency Juan Antonio is back on the scene and stepping up to the plate to bring softball back ... at least for women.

Only for women? The old perv...!! :lol:

stupid comments with the habituals insults to Samaranch...

you are very contradictory,you want the return of those minoritary sports (baseball,softball) and after,you repel some help in this direction only because is from Samaranch...

stupid comments with the habituals insults to Samaranch...

you are very contradictory,you want the return of those minoritary sports (baseball,softball) and after,you repel some help in this direction only because is from Samaranch...

Nuto,

#1 - Don't mean to sound ungrateful (and I still haven't read the book; perhaps in December) -- but JAS is really NOT loved on these pages -- so I think that's something you'll have to accept. He just comes off as a meddling, control freak -- way past his prime. This is only a chat board; allow people to have some fun.

#2 - Speaking for myself, I am not crazy about having baseball or softball return to the SOG. I think they are unnecessary and burden future hosts. (So again, JAS, is doing something I don't care for. Why doesn't the old bugger just retire?) But that's just me.

Nuto,

#1 - Don't mean to sound ungrateful (and I still haven't read the book; perhaps in December) -- but JAS is really NOT loved on these pages -- so I think that's something you'll have to accept. He just comes off as a meddling, control freak -- way past his prime. This is only a chat board; allow people to have some fun.

#2 - Speaking for myself, I am not crazy about having baseball or softball return to the SOG. I think they are unnecessary and burden future hosts. (So again, JAS, is doing something I don't care for. Why doesn't the old bugger just retire?) But that's just me.

1 but is posible to say that without insults to a 86 years old man?

2 I don´t want neither the return of baseball and sotfball

Anyway, with or whithout JAS, Softball will NOT return. At least not for a while Its an issue of globality: I mean, the USA is by far the most powerfull nation in Softball. Even women's hockey seams balanced compared to Softball!

because I respect the old people and he is a great spaniard

I'm sure JAS is considered a great man within Spain, but you must realise he doesn't have a good reputation in the rest of the world _ he's still known for his autocracy and for presiding over one of the IOC's most corrupt periods.

Yes, we make fun of JAS, just as we make fun of Rogge, Dick Pound, Kevan Gosper. Some of us still make fun of the last American IOC president Avery Brundage (who had a reputation similar to Samaranch's), even though there are few of us who even remember the time when he was in charge.

I'm sure JAS is considered a great man within Spain, but you must realise he doesn't have a good reputation in the rest of the world _ he's still known for his autocracy and for presiding over one of the IOC's most corrupt periods.

Yes, we make fun of JAS, just as we make fun of Rogge, Dick Pound, Kevan Gosper. Some of us still make fun of the last American IOC president Avery Brundage (who had a reputation similar to Samaranch's), even though there are few of us who even remember the time when he was in charge.

Samaranch have a very good reputation ,not only in Spain...

http://www.lewrockwell.com/manion/manion27.html

That link was not exactly a flattering biography!

I can assure you, he also has LOTS of enemies who hate him. He's a very controversial figure.

I didn't read it the first time -- expecting another sugar-coated piece. But this one is NOT only un-flattering, it is SCATHING. Far more serious than our shallow ribbing here.

N, are you sure you're a faithful admirer of JAS? <_<

Nuto, we laugh at everyone here. There are hardly any sacred cows here -- not even the REAL sacred cows of India! And JAS just makes a perfect piece of parody. He takes/took himself and his "exalted" position so seriously, considering his highly questionable background, that there's nothing one can do but laugh at it!

I didn't read it the first time -- expecting another sugar-coated piece. But this one is NOT only un-flattering, it is SCATHING. Far more serious than our shallow ribbing here.

N, are you sure you're a faithful admirer of JAS? <_<

Nuto, we laugh at everyone here. There are hardly any sacred cows here -- not even the REAL sacred cows of India! And JAS just makes a perfect piece of parody. He takes/took himself and his "exalted" position so seriously, considering his highly questionable background, that there's nothing one can do but laugh at it!

is your opinion,I think that he is very natural and austere and his work in the IOC was incredible.

is your opinion,I think that he is very natural and austere and his work in the IOC was incredible.

Did you even read the article in the link you posted? Samaranch may have been many things, but natural and austere are the last things that spring to mind when thinking of "His Excellency".

yes,I readed the article

Then you'd realise it was a far more viscous, scathing attack on JAS than anything posted here.

I don't deny he brought much needed reform to the IOC, and probably saved it. But he also probably stayed at the top too long and ignored a lot of the corruption that darkened the IOCs name in the 1990s.

Or Sepp Bladder!

Septic Bladder,please! :huh:

Do try to get it right!! :lol:

Then you'd realise it was a far more viscous, scathing attack on JAS than anything posted here.

I don't deny he brought much needed reform to the IOC, and probably saved it. But he also probably stayed at the top too long and ignored a lot of the corruption that darkened the IOCs name in the 1990s.

It's my impression that if JAS had only managed to combine his undoubted organizational ability with the ethics and integrity of his recently deceased colleague,Marc Hodler (see below),then he might truly have gone down as the greatest IOC president in history!!

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650199901,00.html

It's my impression that if JAS had only managed to combine his undoubted organizational ability with the ethics and integrity of his recently deceased colleague,Marc Hodler (see below),then he might truly have gone down as the greatest IOC president in history!!

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650199901,00.html

The biggest failings of JAS:

1. He was an extremely partial, biased president. He cheated Paris out of a clearly, impending victory for 1992; and rigged the vote so that his hometown of Barcelona would win. What kind of a leader is that? A leader of a world body should be objective AND above all these conflicts-of-interests. Why even bother with an election, if you have the results rigged?

2. JAS was that he was the most autocratic IOC president, and continued to rule in trappings of luxury. Rogge, for his first Olympics at Salt Lake, actually stayed at regular athletes' quarters in the Village/University dorms. Did you ever see Samaranch even try this? No; he would not be caught dead in the Athletes' Village, much less sleep in it.

3. Samaranch, made strange bedmates in the IOC with the devil. He not only continued to fill the IOC ranks with the good-for-nothing nobility (who were all to the manor born, and never had to struggle like most of the athletes) but the most corrupt apparatchiks from (the former) Communist gov'ts. And even when these totalitatian states fell (which should've included sweeping out those sports bureacrats with them), JAS made no effort to replace those dead-weight ex-Commie appartchiks with people from the newly-elected, democratic regimes.

4. Foremost practitioner of SHAMELESS Nepotism. Assigned HIS OWN FRIGGIN' SON to the IOC. :angry: I mean, not even gran grand-pere did this!!

Yes, he may have done a few good things, but you lead by example -- and I think JAS' failings far outweigh his achievements, which I can't seem to recall.

Thus, we (or at least I) here owe JAS no allegiance nor respect or loyalty WHATSOEVER!

The biggest failings of JAS:

1. He was an extremely partial, biased president. He cheated Paris out of a clearly, impending victory for 1992; and rigged the vote so that his hometown of Barcelona would win. What kind of a leader is that? A leader of a world body should be objective AND above all these conflicts-of-interests. Why even bother with an election, if you have the results rigged?

2. JAS was that he was the most autocratic IOC president, and continued to rule in trappings of luxury. Rogge, for his first Olympics at Salt Lake, actually stayed at regular athletes' quarters in the Village/University dorms. Did you ever see Samaranch even try this? No; he would not be caught dead in the Athletes' Village, much less sleep in it.

3. Samaranch, made strange bedmates in the IOC with the devil. He not only continued to fill the IOC ranks with the good-for-nothing nobility (who were all to the manor born, and never had to struggle like most of the athletes) but the most corrupt apparatchiks from (the former) Communist gov'ts. And even when these totalitatian states fell (which should've included sweeping out those sports bureacrats with them), JAS made no effort to replace those dead-weight ex-Commie appartchiks with people from the newly-elected, democratic regimes.

4. Foremost practitioner of SHAMELESS Nepotism. Assigned HIS OWN FRIGGIN' SON to the IOC. :angry: I mean, not even gran grand-pere did this!!

Yes, he may have done a few good things, but you lead by example -- and I think JAS' failings far outweigh his achievements, which I can't seem to recall.

Thus, we (or at least I) here owe JAS no allegiance nor respect or loyalty WHATSOEVER!

1. the victory of Barcelona 92 was just and clean

2. the ranking of autocratic IOC presidents is :1. Pierre de Coubertin 2.Avery Brundage

3.Juan Antonio Samaranch

3. in the live,sometimes,is necessary to made strange bedmates...

4. his son is a good directive,but you are in reason,I don´t like nepotism

1. the victory of Barcelona 92 was just and clean

2. the ranking of autocratic IOC presidents is :1. Pierre de Coubertin 2.Avery Brundage

3.Juan Antonio Samaranch

3. in the live,sometimes,is necessary to made strange bedmates...

4. his son is a good directive,but you are in reason,I don´t like nepotism

1. I think that can be debated, nuto. It looked very suspicious, and it was well known w/in the IOC that the president at the time, wanted Barcelona to win -- no matter what the cost.

2. 1. Well, el gran-grand abuelo was OK, I mean, he founded the organization. 2. Brundage, I can't speak for him, but at that time, the IOC was just starting to open up and was starting to take in the big $$ from the networks. 3. JAS had a chance to make things more truly democratic w/in the organization -- like when Athletes were elected to the IOC ranks in 2000 -- but, what? only 4 members vs. the 'appointed' 100 or so members? Why not 12 elected members? Why did he keep it to a puny 4? So that they could NOT launch any democratic movements.

3. That's NO excuse, nuto. As the IOC increased its prestige, wealth and influence, JAS had a chance to clean house and really LEAD an exemplary organization by example. He did not.

4. As you said, why did he even put in his own blood in there? I mean, aren't there equally good Spanish sports directors who are NOT connected by blood? :blink:

As for Barcelona's victory, you have to admit its quite suspicious, Nuto. I mean, how else that to keep Paris from wining could Alberville get the WOG?

Archived