Beijing 2008 Opening Ceremony

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER this weekend. Not Yimou's best work. Again, it's about imperial court intrigue -- therefore a full excuse for absolute visual splendor. However, this film is full-frontal spectacle; very little subtlety. HERO and FLYING DAGGERS I think were more ground-breaking.

Will try to see the live satellite telecast of his first project for NY's Metropolitan Opera, THE FIRST EMPEROR, when it airs January 13th. However, Yimou, with all the resources at his command, will deliver an absolutely jaw-dropping, breath-taking set of Ceremonies for Beijing.

I urge you to be brutally honest with yourselves. The City of Beijing, up to the writing of this document, has given no reason ( not in the least) to doubt that Beijing 2008 will be anything short of spectacular. We know the world will be stunned by the cosmic opulence of every aspect of the 2008 Olympiad. So why the anxiety? Do rid yourselves of it.

The Imperial

Ruling Czar

I don't know... But a reoccuring theme with Vancouver was "Come play with us" Maybe the ceremony will try to show Canadians as fun-loving people with a passion for sport... That, or maybe it'll show off Canada's culture and history... so cliche... :)

nah. "Come play with us" was a slogan for the handover segment, pretty much a message to the world that "we're welcoming you to party in Vancouver in 2010".

i'm just worried we're gonna focus too much on the First Nations stuff.

Hey all,

With some of the world's most reowned movie directors (Zhang Yimou, Steven Spielberg and Ang Lee) collaborating to create the 2008 opening ceremony, I just had this immense excitement and anticipation of how it will turn out to be in real.

I just cant help but having this preconception images of it will be like the martial arts movies by Zhang and Lee (Hero, Crouching Tigers), where a grand and metaphorical use of one color in one scene, with human flying in the air effortlessly.

The whole ceremony will be grand and artful for sure. And it's gonna transport us to the mythical and magical world of ancient China. Thats what I reckon.

I really think this is gonna be one of the ceremony that's gonna match Athen's in term of the interpretation of their culture in the most surprising, never-seen-before and aesthetically overwhelming way.

I can see that London 2012's ceremony will be more on the modern and future aspect of UK and human civilization at large (There's no point in UK showcasing their 'culture' and 'history' again). So it will probably all be very high-tech, modern, futuristic, fun and lively.

Maybe London's ceremony will be different as it will not be a cultural display as what most ceremonies are. But I just cant wait to see what Beijing has to show the world. Im sure it will never be what we thought it is. Just like how Athens surprised the whole world with their masterful display of simplicity and beauty which is so different from all other ceremonies in the past.

lOl !!

Okay?

Im just hopeing its not gonna make people over look the sydney games.

Coz i think it was the best !

i bet the the beijing games will be mostly about their history..

Although i also bet there will be a little "modern" bits in the opening ceremony.

But still..

SYDNEY 2000 GAMES RULE !!

Um..

did yo0h beijing was sooooooooooo close by hosting the 2000 games?

Lol most the "majority" for the 1st,2nd,3rd bid ..

but 4th beijing only lost to sydney of i think 4 points?

ahahahs..

We won the"millennium games"

ahahs..too bad !!

lOl !!

Okay?

Im just hopeing its not gonna make people over look the sydney games.

Coz i think it was the best !

i bet the the beijing games will be mostly about their history..

Although i also bet there will be a little "modern" bits in the opening ceremony.

But still..

SYDNEY 2000 GAMES RULE !!

Um..

ahahahs..

ahahs..too bad !!

A very revealing insight into your expectations for the 2008 Opening Ceremony.......Thank you.

After trailing Beijing in the first three rounds of voting,Sydney finally won by just two votes in the fourth round!

Incidentally this was the second lowest margin of victory for a winning city.Guess which one was the lowest..?

Yep,Melbourne beat Buenos Aires by just one vote to win the 1956 Olympics! B)

ahahs..too bad !!

Too bad for the Chinese I guess...ahaha......! :blink:

Yes it is a fact that Sydney did beat Beijing to host the 2000 Games, however I dont see why there is a need to brag and boast, rant and rave about that fact.

So what if Beijing lost out to host the 2000 Olympics? They can always try to host another edition of the Games and which they did and won the bid to host the 2008 Games. Of course there is no 100% guarantee that it will be a spectacular Games and/or that it will be better than Sydney but at least the Chinese are putting in all efforts humanly possible to make the 2008 Beijing Games a great one and also putting in utmost effort to win the most gold medals in the 2008 Games too.

My point is that there is no need to boast and brag about one city beating another to host one edition of the Games and also no need to think that the city who lost out is in a lousy situation as the one who lost out can always try to host a future edition of the Games and be succesful in its future bid, as Beijing was. As the saying goes if you dont succeed the first time, try and try again! So what if Sydney won the right to host the 2000 Games? What is the difference between hosting the Olympics in one time period and in another time period anyway? It is the quality of the Games and how well it is organised that really counts.

BTW I dont mean to sound offensive/aggressive and/or to offend anyone with my post and I just want to state that one should not brag just because one country beat another to win the right to host an important sporting event.

Yes it is a fact that Sydney did beat Beijing to host the 2000 Games, however I dont see why there is a need to brag and boast, rant and rave about that fact.

So what if Beijing lost out to host the 2000 Olympics? They can always try to host another edition of the Games and which they did and won the bid to host the 2008 Games. Of course there is no 100% guarantee that it will be a spectacular Games and/or that it will be better than Sydney but at least the Chinese are putting in all efforts humanly possible to make the 2008 Beijing Games a great one and also putting in utmost effort to win the most gold medals in the 2008 Games too.

My point is that there is no need to boast and brag about one city beating another to host one edition of the Games and also no need to think that the city who lost out is in a lousy situation as the one who lost out can always try to host a future edition of the Games and be succesful in its future bid, as Beijing was. As the saying goes if you dont succeed the first time, try and try again! So what if Sydney won the right to host the 2000 Games? What is the difference between hosting the Olympics in one time period and in another time period anyway? It is the quality of the Games and how well it is organised that really counts.

BTW I dont mean to sound offensive/aggressive and/or to offend anyone with my post and I just want to state that one should not brag just because one country beat another to win the right to host an important sporting event.

Aussie*supporter is probably a 12-year old mind in the body of a 35-year old person. Plus he/she/it's kinda like 14 years' LATE with the bragging stuff. <_<

Alrighty, since this topic is getting a bit 'uneventful', Im gonna post some of the first thoughts I have when I think about the possible Beijing ceremony.

1) Red covering on the stadium field (yes, it maybe a bit cliche and stereotypical... though i think Athens's water pond is the most beautiful and awe-inspiring element in any olympic ceremony. But probably Beijing can create a unique non-flat centregroud - hill mounds being created in the field, resembling the chinese landscape)

2) A loud Chinese gong will be hit to signify the beginning of the ceremony. (I have another idea of 10 chinese calligraphy master writing the number 10 to 1 in chinese character; using a big brush, on big vertical canvases on each second countdown to the ceremony.. imagine the big brush strokes, the spontaneous characters written on the canvas and the motion involed. Reckon it will be amazing)

3) The opening act - no human and no living things involve. The nature takes its place, like the beginning of earth (is there any chinese legends on this?). Maybe the can create artificial rain, man-made weather... or anything to show the creation of the chinese landscape or history without human existence.

Other than that.... its still very much wide open... I cant think of any yet.

Love to hear ideas from you guys too! :)

P.s What I am suggesting here are ideas that's never done b4, out of the box and stuff that's usually not what ppl would expect in a Beijing Ceremony (e.g thousands of ppl dancing together (which is so chinese!), so instead, no human existence will be shown first for this most populous nation in the world. lol)

dragons ... lots of dragons and chinese lions...

with phoniex and other chinese nyth. creatures...

absolutly one of the best opneing ceremonies that had happened..

only istanbul or india and brazil can compete with this :)

dragons ... lots of dragons and chinese lions...

with phoniex and other chinese nyth. creatures...

absolutly one of the best opneing ceremonies that had happened..

only istanbul or india and brazil can compete with this :)

That's a bit cliche isnt it? And why is istanbul, india and brazil suddenly came into this discussion????? :blink:

when u imagine s.t. about china 2 things firstly come to your mind. dragons and china wall..

and drgaon means all the good things happiness power noblety energy... if they will not use dragons ı dont know.. but ı will be really upset :)

istanbul rio and india can show many different things as beijing will show on the o.c. ı

nothing else about my comparemnt with these cities and lands with each other..

I can't wait to see the historic section.. how will they tell thousand years of chinese history in 30 (40) minutes?

The opening could start with an huge gong striking.. 8 to be exact.

..an huge dancing section just to remember the logo theme

and I see the cauldron lighted from the sky

for the rest I see Red.. whatever and whereever

right now I can't add more.

I can't wait to see the historic section.. how will they tell thousand years of chinese history in 30 (40) minutes?

The opening could start with an huge gong striking.. 8 to be exact.

..an huge dancing section just to remember the logo theme

and I see the cauldron lighted from the sky

for the rest I see Red.. whatever and whereever

right now I can't add more.

Well, the Marco Polo and the Silk Road times is what comes to my mind right away, in terms of Chinese history in one of many aspects. Never mind that, even though it is still up in the air at this time, but there could have been evidence that "Europeans" arriving to the Chinese regions thousands of years before Marco Polo's time. Of course, some historians have said that the Chinese civilization is the "oldest continuous one" on Earth.

Well, the Marco Polo and the Silk Road times is what comes to my mind right away, in terms of Chinese history in one of many aspects. Never mind that, even though it is still up in the air at this time, but there could have been evidence that "Europeans" arriving to the Chinese regions thousands of years before Marco Polo's time. Of course, some historians have said that the Chinese civilization is the "oldest continuous one" on Earth.

I dont' see a specific mention to Marco Polo.. may be a general reference to the trade relations with europe of that time.

I dont' see a specific mention to Marco Polo.. may be a general reference to the trade relations with europe of that time.

Huh? Well, his visit to China came at the time when the nation was part of the huge Mongolian Empire. You know, the same empire that its border literally at Europe's doorstep back in the 13th and 14th centuries. This was the period of the Yuan Dynasty in Chinese history. It lasted from 1279 - 1368.

Sample Link: Chinese Dynasties Page