Ang Lee Joins The Advisor Team For The Ceremonies

rav3n

>

The second batch of culture and art consultants for the creation of the opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games was announced at a ceremony held here Monday afternoon.

Among others were Honorary President of the Chinese Olympic Committee and IOC member He Zhenliang, renounced composer and educator Wu Zuqiang, and Academy Award winning filmmaker Ang Lee. Zeng Qinghuai, honorary director of China Cultural City Limited, was appointed special assistant to the preparatory group of the ceremonies' operational department.

BOCOG President Liu Qi extended his congratulations to the new members of the consultant team and expressed hopes that every consultant, with rich experience and far-reaching vision, will provide precious suggestions and advice to the organizing team.

After the ceremony, consultants of both batches were briefed by Zhang Yimou, chief director for the opening and closing ceremonies, on the progress of the creative scheme for the opening ceremony and gave their opinions.

Present at the ceremony were Cai Fuchao, member of the standing committee of the Beijing Municipal CPC Committee and director general of the commitee's publicity department, Jiang Xiaoyu, BOCOG executive vice-president, Zhang Heping, vice chairman of CCPCC Beijing Committee and chief of the preparatory group of the ceremonies' operational department. Members of the creation team for the ceremonies also attended the ceremony.

Taiwanese director Ang Lee, better know for his movies ''Crouching Tiger, Hidding Dragon'' & ''Brokeback Mountain'', will be the new advisor for the Beijing 2008 Opening & Closing ceremonies. According to BOGOC, he will join the team leadered by Zhang Yimou, and composed of other famous directors, like Steven Spielberg and Chen Kaige.

''I feel honoured to be named advisor for the olympic ceremonies, & i will make all posible to complete this mission'', he said. This is also a politic hit for Beijing on the conflict between China & Taiwan since half century. There's a conflict with the torch relay, that is not guaranteed it's pass throught the island. Lee, very apreciatted by the taiwanese, is also a bridge between this countries, always moderated on his opinions and acttitude.

Img212049091.jpg

Img212049092.jpg

It's interesting to note that BOCOG has chosen renowned film directors to shape their Ceremonies - Yimou, Lee, Spielberg -- rather than stadium/spectacle pros. I wonder if the 400+ concepts submitted during the tender phase weren't enough. And I guess now that former clients, the North Koreans, who have also staged some of the grandest spectacles in the proletariat sense of the word, have "nuked all their bridges," :lol:, they are no longer available for Beijing's Games.