Danish Crown Prince Is Candidate For Ioc

Mainad

Danish Crown Prince IOC candidate

COPENHAGEN (AFP) - Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik has agreed to put foward his name to represent the Scandinavian country on the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the Danish Olympic committee has told AFP.

The move could help Copenhagen's dreams of hosting the 2024 Summer Olympic Games!

"We are happy that he has agreed to our proposed candidature. And we hope that his status will result in his selection," Denmark's current IOC representative Kaj Holm said Thursday.

Holm, who has held his IOC post since 2002 and has headed the Danish Olympic Committee for the last 24 years, will reach the 70-year age limit to sit on the IOC in 2009.

Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen and Culture Minister Brian Mikkelsen, (whose brief covers sports), have formally approved Crown Prince Frederik's candidacy.

"He will be the one and only candidate, as for a small country, it is important to have a 'star' to increase the chances of being selected," Holm said.

The election of the prince "should, if all goes well, be announced at a meeting of the executive committee of the IOC in Copenhagen on October 1, 2009, or a few months later," Holm added.

"With the prince as a member of the IOC, Copenhagen might have a chance of hosting the 2024 summer Olympic Games. Without him, Denmark's chances are zero," Holm said.

Prince Frederik, 38, is a keen yachtsman and has participated in a large number of international regattas.

In September he skippered "Nanoq" in the Farr 40 world championships off Newport in the US, finishing 29th in a field of 38.

Prince Frederik in May 2004 married Mary Donaldson, an Australian commoner he met when he was attending the Sydney Olympics in 2000. Their son Prince Christian was born in October 2005.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061005/en_af...le_061005115545

Another benign royal on the IOC? They need more dictators and despots like Idi Amin, Bokassa, Papa Doc Duvalier, J.A. Samaranch, Imelda Marcos, etc., so that decisions are made faster!!

Just kidding. I hear CP Frederick is a 'good' guy but his wife looks too butch for him.

Too butch!! Are you sure you're not confusing her with Prince Charles'wife? Here's a pic of Crown Princess Mary.She looks mighty pretty from where I'm sitting!! :)

Crown_Princess_Mary_of_Denmark.jpg

Too butch!! Are you sure you're not confusing her with Prince Charles'wife? Here's a pic of Crown Princess Mary.She looks mighty pretty from where I'm sitting!! :)

Crown_Princess_Mary_of_Denmark.jpg

Oh, OK. She looks pretty regal there. Except usually though, the princesses are the light-haired ones and the consorts are the dark-haired ones. So I guess that's what I meant.

Archived