Non-olympic But Recognized Sports

There was a discussion on another thread about making Surfing as a 'demo' sport should San Francisco win the 2016 Olympics.

I did a little research and here is a link for all the other sports recognized by the IOC as legitimate, future possible sports but

The Assoc. of Recognized IOC Sports Federations

Some strange things about it:

1. There are 29 on the list. There are some I never heard of:

- Bandy? What is what? Playing with bandicoots?

- Korfball?

- (Surfing is there.)

2. No winter ones (that I recognize).

3. There are two non-sweaty, mind/parlor games recognized: Bridge and Chess!! So there is hope for Crossword-Puzzles, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Bingo and Knitting!! (Hey -- that could be the New Age Pentathlon -- all in one venue!! )

4. There are Air Sports (I presume Parachute Jumping; Hang-gliding; Paragliding; I dunno - Hot Air Balloon racing?)

5. Strangely, NO cricket. So that'll stay in the CWG for now.

6. There are underwater sports (Stingray Play has probably been removed).

7. Other than polo, no other sports with other animals.

8. My favorites: Wet T-shirt and Dwarf-Tossing, still are NOT recognized. Sniff. Sniff.

But remember, people, any time you think an additional sport has to be included exponentially means a hundred or 2 more people on the organizing committee for that sport + more athletes (at the expense of other sports).

If you have anything intelligent to say - discuss.

Bandy is a winter sport, it is played on an iced surface the size of a Football field and resemble a bit to hockey. The sport is mainly played in Sweeden, Finland and Russia, with Kazhastan also having a good men team.

Also, Mountaineering (Ski Mountaineering and Ice Climbing) and Orientering (Ski Orientering) are also winter sports.

Bandy is a winter sport, it is played on an iced surface the size of a Football field and resemble a bit to hockey. The sport is mainly played in Sweeden, Finland and Russia, with Kazhastan also having a good men team.

Also, Mountaineering (Ski Mountaineering and Ice Climbing) and Orientering (Ski Orientering) are also winter sports.

With all deference to Mr. Brundage, I stand corrected. Thanks for that info, fox.

My favorites: Wet T-shirt and Dwarf-Tossing, still are NOT recognized. Sniff. Sniff.

Perhaps you could use your contacts inside the IOC to get them substituted for baseball and softball! ;)

And look what happens to the non-Test nations when they do play the big boys.

And not just the non-test nations _ Kenya and Bangladesh are just making up the numbers anyway.

It'd be interesting if the ICC succeed in getting cricket established in China.

Came across the IOC's official stand on demo sports on their website:

Some demonstration sports were included in various editions of the Olympic Games up until 1992. The Organising Committees for the Olympic Games (OCOGs) could integrate demonstration sports into the Olympic programme. However, the organisation of these demonstrations created a lot of extra work for the OCOGs, which had to provide services that were almost identical to those for the sports on the Olympic programme. Therefore, at the 95th Session of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), held in 1989 in Puerto Rico, it was decided that demonstration sports would be eliminated definitively from the 1996 Atlanta Games onwards.

Not THAT strange _ there's only 10 test-playing nations at the moment.

If you look at the team sports which have some sort of a world cup, you will see that most are remarkably similar in the number of competitive teams. 4-6 top countries and 9-10 if countries with border line teams are included. Rugby has about 10 first level teams of which at most 6 are real contenders(NZ, AUS,SA,EN,FR,IRL) Ice Hcxkey for years had six teams far better than the rest of the world(CAN,RUS,US,CZ,SWD,FIN).The political reorganizationn of Eastern Europe has added a few borderline teams.(Slo for example) . Baseball has about 6 top countries(US,JAP,CUB,DOM,MEX and KOR, and a few decent ones TWI,PRand VEN) Field Hockey has been dominated by 5 teams(IND,PAK,NTH,GER,AUS).The exceptions are Basketball and Soccer Football. Not surprisingly they are, globally, the most popular team sports.I am not sure why Cricket is not a recognized sport, it may be that it lacks enough "small countries" but given the number on entrants in WC qualification that wouldn't seem to be the case. Personally I think that any sport that has ever been a medal sport in an Olympic games should be a recognized sport That would add Cricket, Racquets&Real Tennis, Croquet, and Lacrosse to the list.

Archived