Istanbul 2016? Maybe Maybe Not

Ok, so we all know that Istanbul will be an applicant city fro the 2016 Games, just as that have for 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012. But this year, I think is there year. I think that it's just there time. So does anybody have any thing else to add? Why or Why not Istanbul will win. Tell me what you think, I'm really board, and i think this is a good one.

I taught in istanbul for 3 years and love the city. It is one of the world's greatest. I was just back there this summer. My feeling is that an Olympics there will happen eventually, but not until the various issues that divide Turkey from the EU have been largely settled, and I don't think that's going to happen in time for a 2016 Olympic bid to succeed. Istanbul's infrastrtucture has improved markedly in the last 7 years, but I would still worry a bit about the venues. There isn't a lot of space in the central city, and most of the venues would have to be built from scratch. It will be a massive undertaking. Still, I'm sure it's possible eventually. My hope is that 10 years from now this will seem like a realistic goal and that Turkey's standing with europeans will have elevated enough for them to support the Games being there.

One thing I've felt ever since I lived there in the 90s (Istanbul was bidding for the 2004 Games at that time) is that Turkey needs to host a series of events to build up to an Olympics. The 2004 bid seemed really premature when smaller international events hadn't happened there. So I think they should build a stadium to host the IAAF, for example, as Athens did in 1997. That's the most convincing path.

I taught in istanbul for 3 years and love the city. It is one of the world's greatest. I was just back there this summer. My feeling is that an Olympics there will happen eventually, but not until the various issues that divide Turkey from the EU have been largely settled, and I don't think that's going to happen in time for a 2016 Olympic bid to succeed. Istanbul's infrastrtucture has improved markedly in the last 7 years, but I would still worry a bit about the venues. There isn't a lot of space in the central city, and most of the venues would have to be built from scratch. It will be a massive undertaking. Still, I'm sure it's possible eventually. My hope is that 10 years from now this will seem like a realistic goal and that Turkey's standing with europeans will have elevated enough for them to support the Games being there.

One thing I've felt ever since I lived there in the 90s (Istanbul was bidding for the 2004 Games at that time) is that Turkey needs to host a series of events to build up to an Olympics. The 2004 bid seemed really premature when smaller international events hadn't happened there. So I think they should build a stadium to host the IAAF, for example, as Athens did in 1997. That's the most convincing path.

I think they already have a built stadium that can host the IAAF. From what I remember from their past Olympic bids, wasn't there an "Olympic Stadium" under construction at the time? I'm sure it's been completed for some time now.

I think they already have a built stadium that can host the IAAF. From what I remember from their past Olympic bids, wasn't there an "Olympic Stadium" under construction at the time? I'm sure it's been completed for some time now.

Ah - you are right. It opened after I left. <a href="http://www.stadiumguide.com/ataturkolympia.htm">Ataturk Olympic Stadium.</a> So that hurdle is passed - the rest of what I said still stands, I think.

• 3 months later...

please watch tthis ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oDCXjuSOMIA

this is my city.. this is my homeland.. the place where ı miss any time ı apart from...

and the eng. version of the poem written by necip fazıl kısakürek

They have melted my souland frozen it in a mould;

They have named it Istanbul, and put it on earth.

There's something smoking inside me;air,colour,grace,and climate;

That's my beloved who came from beyond time and place,

Its flowers are golden stars,its water is sweet;

The moon and the sun have always been Istanbulian.

The sea and the earth have reached their union in her

And the dreams have turned reality in her.

Istanbul is my life;

my motherland...

Istanbul,

Istanbul...

History has eyes,the riddles on ancient walls;

Cypresses,cypresses are of fine stature,they are the curtains of two worlds...

A steed rears up on the clouds;

Diamond domes,perhaps there are billions of steeds...

The minarets are index fingers pointing to the sky.

In every embroidery a meaning:we must die.

Death is more alive than life,mercy is greater than sin;

When Beyoglu is drowning in worldly pleasures,

Karacaahmet weeps..

Seek the meaning,find it!

Find it in Istanbul!

Istanbul,

Istanbul...

The Bosphorus,the silver brazier of the Bosphorus,boils the coolness;

The depths of heaven on earth are in Camlica.

Playful waters are the guests in the basement of the sea-side house;

A photo of the sad face of a former diplomat hangs on the wall.

Every evening flames on the windows in Uskudar,

A hounted house,big as the city...

A song from the Ud or the Tanbour?

It sings ''Katibim'' behind the bay-windows...

Its women are like sharp knives,

Warm like fresh blood,

Istanbul,

Istanbul...

Time on the seven hills embroiders

Seven colours,seven voices,endless manifestation...!

Eyup is orphan,Kadikoy is dressed up,Moda is haughty,

Wind in the Island plays tricks with the girls.

Each dawn,the arrows fly from their bows.

Cries come from Topkapi Palace still.

The mothers are the best of sweethearts,Istanbul is the best of palaces;

Never mind the cheerful crowd,those who cry are happier.

Its night smells hyacinth,

Its Turkish the nightingale's voice.

Istanbul,

Istanbul...

Oh wow - Someone who finally likes Turkey manages to offer his personal and honest insight on here. Thank you kindly! :P

Unfortunately though, this whole thing about Europe and Turkey standing hand-in-hand next to each other is NEVER going to happen as Europe is still plauged with a prejudice backward views of everything outside of thier precious continent.

Anyways, personally I now strongly oppose Istanbul from placing any further bids. I mean, we've becoming the laughing stocks by showing how "eager" we supposbly are for these games. Not to mention that so much time, effort, energy and money is spent into these buids only they end up disappearing without seeing and results being made. I think we should just better spend the money to further improve Istanbul for the civilians there and just help the tourist industy further grow.

Unfortunately though, this whole thing about Europe and Turkey standing hand-in-hand next to each other is NEVER going to happen as Europe is still plauged with a prejudice backward views of everything outside of thier precious continent.

There is prejudice and stubborness everywhere,Turkish Guy.Europe doesn't have a monopoly on that and nor does it have a uniform view of things.Britain for instance supports and has always supported Turkish membership in the EU.

Anyways, personally I now strongly oppose Istanbul from placing any further bids. I mean, we've becoming the laughing stocks by showing how "eager" we supposbly are for these games. Not to mention that so much time, effort, energy and money is spent into these buids only they end up disappearing without seeing and results being made. I think we should just better spend the money to further improve Istanbul for the civilians there and just help the tourist industy further grow.

I tend to agree with you.Istanbul should focus its energies and strike when and where the time is most appropriate as most bidding cities do.Automatic bidding for every single Games can just become predictable and irritating not to mention time-consuming and costly for the prospective host!

And as has been mentioned before, if the IOC know Istanbul will bid every time, they'll wait till the pickings are slim to give them their games i.e. they won't give them to them when cities like Chicago, LA, Madrid and Tokyo are bidding.

N.B. I'm not necessarily saying Istanbul doesn't match up to these cities, just that there is a chance Istanbul may become a long term insurance policy; a situation that will harm their chances hugely as long as the field continues to include other great world cities as well.

I tend to agree with you.Istanbul should focus its energies and strike when and where the time is most appropriate as most bidding cities do.Automatic bidding for every single Games can just become predictable and irritating not to mention time-consuming and costly for the prospective host!
And as has been mentioned before, if the IOC know Istanbul will bid every time, they'll wait till the pickings are slim to give them their games i.e. they won't give them to them when cities like Chicago, LA, Madrid and Tokyo are bidding.

N.B. I'm not necessarily saying Istanbul doesn't match up to these cities, just that there is a chance Istanbul may become a long term insurance policy; a situation that will harm their chances hugely as long as the field continues to include other great world cities as well.

I agree with the both of you. You guys couldn't have stated any better!

Istanbul should bid for events such as the European Athletic Championships and hope to gain some experince from there. That's not to say that Istanbul lacks experince in hosting major international events - it's just that we should have events similar to the Athletics on our Resumee before going the whole 9-yards biddinmg for the Summer Games on each given opportunity. I'd also like for us to bid and get the EURO Football games. The earliest opportunity for us to consider is 2016 so setting eyes on them now wont hurt in my opinion.

Is that so?

Just out of curiosity, are you going to meet up with someone there or are you going by yourself just out of interest?

The reason I ask is because not a large percentage of those living in Istanbul (and anywhere else in Turkey for that matter) speak another language. So you might find communicating with the locals a little frustrating due to the fact that Turks lack basic knowledge in a second langauge. I've known a lot of tourists who've visited and found that factor alone as the most inconvenient during their trip. Nonetheless, there are a lot of tourist offices and polices installed throughout the city that help tourists out - so hopefully you wont have to experience any difficulties in communicating and getting your way around.

Anyways, when the date of your trip approaches - make sure that you send a PM to me so that I can give you a few tips, pointers, Do's and Don'ts. That's if you're interested of course.

Also, what does TOC stand for?

The idea of an Istanbul Games is intriguing and yes I think they could pull it off but I'll go back to what I've said before. I think Istanbul is a bit too close to the lion's den. With the Israeli-Palestinian conflict along with the mess that is becoming a terrorist's paradise in Iraq I think that the IOC has too great of a fear of a repeat of what happened in Munich or something much worse.

Archived