Afternoon Finals - For Rowing

Sir Rols

I don't get this. After all this pressure to move traditional afternoon and evening finals in swimming and gymnastics etc to the morning to suit US viewers, now we have a sport with traditional morning finals moving to the afternoon:

SYDNEY, Oct 3 AAP - Australian Rowing high performance coach Noel Donaldson believes the new afternoon schedule at the 2008 Olympics would not hamper his athletes' chances of winning medals.

The sport will be held in the afternoon rather than the usual morning timeslot because the wind at Beijing's Shunyi Aquatic Park is less of a problem between 1pm and 6pm.

Donaldson said the afternoon heat was a greater concern than getting the athletes accustomed to competing later in the day, but it was nothing the Australians couldn't handle.

``It might be new for an international event to be held later in the day, but domestically Australia holds afternoon events all the time,'' Donaldson said.

``A lot of the training is done during the afternoon as well.''

Rowing Australia CEO Andrew Dee welcomed the schedule, saying it would enable Australian TV viewers to see the finals live between 5pm and 6pm.

AAP

I guess this means rowing isn't that popular in the US.

I don't get this. After all this pressure to move traditional afternoon and evening finals in swimming and gymnastics etc to the morning to suit US viewers, now we have a sport with traditional morning finals moving to the afternoon:

I guess this means rowing isn't that popular in the US.

Altho invariably the US does well in the 4s and the 8s, it is not a widely followed sport. And I believe it is a sport driven by climactic factors. In both LA and Atlanta, they had the finals at like 7 or 8:00 AM before it got too hot and before the winds kicked up.

I must be one of the few thousands that really look forward to this sport.

Altho invariably the US does well in the 4s and the 8s, it is not a widely followed sport. And I believe it is a sport driven by climactic factors. In both LA and Atlanta, they had the finals at like 7 or 8:00 AM before it got too hot and before the winds kicked up.

I must be one of the few thousands that really look forward to this sport.

Yeah, I thought the US did well recently in those events at the world champs.

I remember did play a factor in the rowing (or was it canoeing?) at Sydney, with some of the finals having to be delayed to the afternoon. It's strange then, if this is a common occurance, that rowing has a tradition of initially scheduling its finals for the morning.

Yeah, I thought the US did well recently in those events at the world champs.

I remember did play a factor in the rowing (or was it canoeing?) at Sydney, with some of the finals having to be delayed to the afternoon. It's strange then, if this is a common occurance, that rowing has a tradition of initially scheduling its finals for the morning.

I also could be wrong but the I think the canoers and kayakers are 2nd-class citizens in that they just have to perform after the oarsmen/women have used up the most optimal rowing times. But I think the canoers and kayakers are used to more winds and therefore, stronger currents.

I also could be wrong but the I think the canoers and kayakers are 2nd-class citizens in that they just have to perform after the oarsmen/women have used up the most optimal rowing times. But I think the canoers and kayakers are used to more winds and therefore, stronger currents.

Not true, rowing and canoe/kayaking are placed at different times in the Olympic schedule.

Usually the rowing first, then the flatwater canoeing afterwards.

It seems that this is an issue of providing the best and fairest possible conditions for all the athletes, so I don't have a great problem with it.

Actually, this is one case that will benefit both Euro and Asia-Pacific viewers. I assume you guys will get the see the finals live in the morning Europe time, while we will get them in the early evening. Ah, I'm looking forward to Beijing _ I'll take my usual Olympic holidays off from work and have two weeeks of watching the events in a convenient time zone! Whatever they do with swimming I'll get to see them live in normal waking times anyway _ it's more the principle of moving them at the behest of a TV network that irks me.

Actually, this is one case that will benefit both Euro and Asia-Pacific viewers. I assume you guys will get the see the finals live in the morning Europe time, while we will get them in the early evening. Ah, I'm looking forward to Beijing _ I'll take my usual Olympic holidays off from work and have two weeeks of watching the events in a convenient time zone! Whatever they do with swimming I'll get to see them live in normal waking times anyway _ it's more the principle of moving them at the behest of a TV network that irks me.

From around breakfast time by my reckoning. It doesn't matter to me. I would sit there til three or four in the morning if I had to. I'm with you - moving them to suit television stinks.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems as if all the schedule changes are happening

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/6086814.stm

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin/news/view...p;id=1161882333

"The competition schedule for the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympic Games have finally been agreed upon by the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) executive board “after a thorough consultation process”, said IOC coordination commission chairman Hein Verbruggen. The swimming finals and the team and all-round individual events in gymnastics will be held in the morning, but the individual apparatus events take place in evening sessions. All the track and field finals will be in the evening except for the marathon, while the men’s basketball final will be held in the afternoon, according to an IOC spokesman. Verbruggen said the international federations responsible for the sports which run the events at the Games had agreed to the schedule."

When will we get to see the finished schedule and when will tickets be going on sale?

Seems as if all the schedule changes are happening

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/6086814.stm

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin/news/view...p;id=1161882333

"The competition schedule for the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympic Games have finally been agreed upon by the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) executive board “after a thorough consultation process”, said IOC coordination commission chairman Hein Verbruggen. The swimming finals and the team and all-round individual events in gymnastics will be held in the morning, but the individual apparatus events take place in evening sessions. All the track and field finals will be in the evening except for the marathon, while the men’s basketball final will be held in the afternoon, according to an IOC spokesman. Verbruggen said the international federations responsible for the sports which run the events at the Games had agreed to the schedule."

When will we get to see the finished schedule and when will tickets be going on sale?

The schedule wll probably be totally finalized this spring, and they start accepting ticket orders worldwide a year before the Games open. I mean these 2, of course, would go hand-in-hand, together with the final seating configurations for the venues; since seat numbers will be printed on the tickets. Then tickets get released -- altho I wish San Francisco would set up a 'Will-Call' arrangement (unless US immigration rules in 2016 might require showing Olympic tickets when you enter the country) -- like in spring 2008.

I still think it's a bad precedent, but it's just something we'll all have to cope with it.

I'll be watching to see what the US TV ratings for the swimming finals are with interest. NBC will have no excuses if viewer numbers are down again this time.