Delhi 2010

Confirmation that he's a liar:

A leading Scotland official has rejected claims that photos detailing the shocking conditions inside the athletes' village at the Commonwealth Games were not authentic.

Disturbing images of dirty bathrooms and unfinished building work were broadcast around the world by BBC Sport only a few days before competitors were due to start arriving in Delhi.

Organising committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi dismissed the relevance of the photos, insisting they were of servants' quarters, not areas that were used by competitors.

However, Michael Kavanagh, chairman of Commonwealth Games Scotland, told BBC Sport: "There is no staff accommodation in the village. It simply doesn't exist.

"That accommodation was intended for athletes and is actually currently being used by athletes as it was cleaned up eventually."

Link

Secondly, even it it were true, it says something about his character that he thinks these are acceptable conditions for staff doesn't it?

The caste system alive and well?

Oh, he also denies he was booed in the opening ceremony :lol:

Link

A few days ago, this guy was offering his services to future Olympic cities, believe it or not...

"Are you saying boo? or boourns?"

"Booo!"

Confirmation that he's a liar:

A leading Scotland official has rejected claims that photos detailing the shocking conditions inside the athletes' village at the Commonwealth Games were not authentic.

Disturbing images of dirty bathrooms and unfinished building work were broadcast around the world by BBC Sport only a few days before competitors were due to start arriving in Delhi.

Organising committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi dismissed the relevance of the photos, insisting they were of servants' quarters, not areas that were used by competitors.

However, Michael Kavanagh, chairman of Commonwealth Games Scotland, told BBC Sport: "There is no staff accommodation in the village. It simply doesn't exist.

"That accommodation was intended for athletes and is actually currently being used by athletes as it was cleaned up eventually."

Link

I watched a recent interview On Sky TV Channel NDTV 24/7 with Delhi's Chief Minister,Sheila Dikshit who was called in to sort out the mess in the Athletes' Village just days before the Games were due to open and she confirmed to the (Indian) interviewer that,at the time she took over,about 60% of the accomodation was indeed just like the scenes depicted in those notorious pictures.She said she had wanted to intervene earlier but didn't have the authority to do so and blamed the fragmentation of power in Delhi government circles.

So Mr.Kalmadi is indeed either a liar or a fantasist or both!

Edited by Mainad

I could look at the pics and at a glance, tell they were not "staff quarters" but were meant for foreigners. True staff quarters in India would not have had bathrooms built with western toilets and grab bars. Just wouldn't happen. The sink basins and fittings aren't right for the local market. And no staff quarters would have beds that big, they'd be twin sized. So I think the "Liar Liar Pants on Fire" label is quite fair.

I don't know if someone has already posted this, but worth mentioning again.

The C'Wealth Games is a perfect example of our class structure

I took the beer bottle to the bathroom and located the opener. It was a perfectly serviceable metal device but it had been fixed to the wall three inches above the washbasin. It meant that no bottle could be placed under it and levered open...

The little mistake, worth a curious laugh and nothing more, was symptomatic of the larger picture. The mistry or his apprentice who had fixed that bottle opener to the wall had never used such a device in his life. The device hadn’t opened the bottle but it let loose the genie that told stories of the vicious class structure of India.

Positive News!

Commonwealth 100m champ tests positive

This was the same race that Sally Pearson was DQed from for false starting.

So effectively, the 5th (potentially 6th) fastest person in the event (dependent on the calibre of the other UK competitor disqualified) will get a bronze medal.

What a shambles that race was.

I guess its Nigerias turn to try and dupe the doping officials, may explain their record medal surge

It was meant to be a showcase to show the world, Nigeria is ready to host the next Commonwealth games in Abuja :P

Apparently, someone forgot to tell them they're not hosting 2014.

Glasgow takes Commonwealth Games mantle

_49492867_handover304.jpg

More than 300 Scots will perform at the handover ceremony in Delhi The mantle of Commonwealth Games host will be officially handed to Glasgow at the closing ceremony of the 2010 Delhi Games in India later.

The city will be given the official Commonwealth Games flag, which signals the countdown to the 2014 event.

A cast of 352 volunteers from across Scotland are in Delhi to showcase the country and city during the handover.

They will put on a show featuring pipers, tartan displays and inflatables of famous Glasgow landmarks.

The flag of the Commonwealth Games Federation will be handed to the Lord Provost of Glasgow, Bob Winter, at Delhi's Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.

'Highland charge' A short video - featuring locations around Scotland and Glasgow - will then be shown on the stadium's screens.

When this ends, a spotlight will shine on a lone piper who will be the target of a "Highland charge" of 352 performers.

The cast will then unfurl huge cloths which will interchange to create various tartans.

Giant inflatables will be used to recreate Glasgow's Clyde Arc bridge, the "Armadillo" or Clyde Auditorium, and the Loch Ness Monster.

Back in Glasgow, an invited audience of 700 guests will celebrate the occasion at the Old Fruitmarket, where entertainment will be led by artists from Scotland and India.

Some of the Scotland's sporting stars from the Delhi Games will also attend.

What time will that be in the uk? I'll be in the office but if it is only 8 mins I might be able to catch it. I wonder if JJ will be watching the Scottish dancers - "It should have been me in my pyjama suit dancing...it should have been Abuja."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5dzvE7YMpA

Edited by RobH