Delhi 2010

Nice to see that those terrible Europeans and Australians as well as the Global Financial Cris has lead to the following continuing problems with Delay 2010 (Maybe 2011):

Opening, closing shows in peril

Start worrying Baron...the Bollywood epic might bereduced to someone playing a Ravi Shankar CD if the Nehru stadium surface continues to subside.

PM admits to lapses, delays on CWG front

So Arush, if your PM can defend your country's media why can't you? :blink:

Cost of fixing Delhi for Commonwealth Games worries churches

Just as has been discussed time and time again the urban poor of Dehli have been the ones to suffer the worst impacts of these farcical preparations, and these front line agencies know what they are talking about.

'Demoralised, but we'll pull it off'

Don't blame the OC for the problems says Chief Delusional Officer Kalmadi, but the village will be better than Beijing. :lol:

Australian swimmers given permission to abandon Commonwealth Games

Aside from the fairly damning statement this story makes about confidence in the Delhi games from one of the key sporting federations from one of the major participating nations at the CGs, to read that indivdual local sportsmen can be viciously assaulted in Delhi must raise the tension even higher.

Hooper hopes safety certificates are bona fide

Perhaps the venues are certified, perhaps not...and not all yet.

How do venues get safety certificates without hosting test events?

Is it not a general rule that the venue hosts 2-3 small events increasing in capacity each time before the main event?

A comment from SSC

"As stated by the comparison made by 'antriksh_sfo' in his post, you can clearly see that Delhi works more upon the efficiency of the infrastructure, instead of making them meretriciously stunning. And still, Delhi has placed a better infrastructure than Melbourne, for the Commonwealth Games could ever deserve."

Love it.

How do venues get safety certificates without hosting test events?

Is it not a general rule that the venue hosts 2-3 small events increasing in capacity each time before the main event?

A comment from SSC

"As stated by the comparison made by 'antriksh_sfo' in his post, you can clearly see that Delhi works more upon the efficiency of the infrastructure, instead of making them meretriciously stunning. And still, Delhi has placed a better infrastructure than Melbourne, for the Commonwealth Games could ever deserve."

Love it.

Well Mo if you're familiar with Australian Tourism promotions they talk about the 2006 host city as Marvellous Melbourne, so let's just say 2010's home has won the right to be called Delusional Delhi. :P

Edited by eusebius65

because the venues were completed 6-12 months before. The biggest concern was ensuring each pitch was perfect and correcting FIFA's wrongs when it came to ticketing and accommodation.

Edited by Mo Rush

Ooooooooooooh. Discovered another hidden skeleton of New Delhi. <_<

Apparently, they were originally going to stage the FIRST Afro-Asian Games in 2001. But they flunked out and those Games went off in Hyderabad instead two years later (using left-over torches from Salt Lake, BTW). :rolleyes:

http://pib.nic.in/archieve/games/afro_asian2001/afro_asian_fact_2001.html

Dear god...i tried to be positive for these games, but i dont think i'll keep being like that for any longer. With less than two weeks to go, these games already look headed onto disaster. With Delhi 2010, it will be a looooooooooong time before the Commonwealth Games Federation chooses a third world country or a city with low experience(say goodbye Abuja :lol: ) to host these games...this edition is going to ruin its reputation a lot.

DDA yet to install ACs in Village flats

By editor

Created 9 Sep 2010 - 00:00

delsp_5.jpg [1]

The Commonwealth Games Village is not only fighting the dengue scare, even the furnishing work of the flats is yet to be completed. The athletes will begin streaming in from September 15. Although the Organising Committee is claiming that the work would be finished in time, the fact is that the air-conditioners are yet to be installed in the flats, besides other accessories. Ideally, these installations were supposed to have been tested but there is no time for it now. The earlier deadline for completing the furnishing was August 31.

“While the Delhi government officials maintain that every project will be completed before the athletes arrive, the installation of air-conditioners at the Village which is under the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) is likely to become an issue in the days to come,” said a CVC official.

“The CVC is investigating everything related to Commonwealth Games. But, poor response from the project executing agencies is a probable reason for the slow progress of investigations,” said a CVC official adding that commission has asked Delhi government, the OC and DDA to explain the delay in installing air-conditioners.

Meanwhile, the CVC has asked the DDA to submit reports on other Games projects.

“However, DDA is yet to submit a vigilance report on construction of the indoor stadium for badminton and squash at Siri Fort Auditorium with the irregularities in purchase of air-conditioners for flats since March 2010,” said a senior CVC official.

610x.jpg610x.jpg

610x.jpg610x.jpg

Reuter

AP images

Für unsere Deutsche Freunde:

German media shows interest in Delhi Commonwealth Games

BERLIN: Despite Germany being a non-participating nation in the Commonwealth Games, its media is showing interest in the sporting extravaganza marred by allegations of corruption, prompting Indian Embassy here to be pro-active in promoting the next month's event in Delhi.

"Usually media here in Germany does not carry news related to the Commonwealth Games as our country is not a member of it. But, as there were some reports of allegations of corruption in the projects related to mega games event, some kind of curiosity among people has been developed about the big event," German Journalists Association spokesperson Eva Wesnej said.

Officials at the Indian Embassy also said the German media is showing some interest in the Games and they have initiated some steps to generate awareness about the event, which will be held in Delhi between October 3-14.

"Though Germany is not participating being a non Commonwealth nation, the Embassy has taken steps to generate awareness about the Games in through a lot of organisational activities," Ashutosh Agarwal, First Secretary at the Embassy of India said.

Building on that interest, press releases and selective mailers on developments related to the games will be issued by the embassy officials during the Commonwealth Games.

"There have been short news items/news agency snippets in the local print media... We will issue regular press releases on important events during the Games period," Agarwal said.

"We have put up posters and brochures on CWG at the offices of main travel agents and sports association etc in various cities in Germany," he said, adding these preparations are going on in spite of the low local response to the event.

The officials are also in talks with television channels in India for important feeds during the Games.

"We plan to show important sporting events and opening/closing ceremonies live to select invitees in Embassy's auditorium subject to availability of TV-feed from India. We are working out possibilities for the same," he added.

The CWG has been rocked by controversies, including alleged corruption charges against top Organising Committee officials and shoddy construction work of the venues.

Read more: German media shows interest in Delhi Commonwealth Games - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/events-tournaments/commonwealth-games/top-stories/German-media-shows-interest-in-Delhi-Commonwealth-Games/articleshow/6540401.cms#ixzz0zJSLawFq

So, at least all the farcical efforts at organising Delay 2011 with the unseemly stench of corruption has attracted the German media. Well done India...finally the CGs are talking to the man in the Ku-damm :lol:

On 20/20, I think Delhi 2010 is turning out to be my kind of Games. Do NOT SPOIL the athletes. Do NOT make them think they are the center of the universe!!

I think Delhi 2010 will be the most phenomenal in history in putting the athletes in their places -- spoiled kids who have to face the REAL WORLD, not pampered princesses (think Johnette Weir) and phagettes!! :lol:

Looking at the lastest venue photos on SSC, I think Delhi is going to pull this off by the skin of their teeth. I'm not saying the preparations haven't been shambolic but I think it's looking a lot more hopeful than it was even a couple of weeks ago. The organisers will be flying by the seat of their pants given how little testing seems to have gone on at the venues, but it's quite possible these Games will be a success despite (not because of) the preparations.

The build-up remains, however, a very poor advert for any future Olympic bid, and I don't think the IOC will go near them any time soon because of this. But I reckon the CWGs could be better than some are predicting...

Let's wait and see.

On 20/20, I think Delhi 2010 is turning out to be my kind of Games. Do NOT SPOIL the athletes. Do NOT make them think they are the center of the universe!!

I think Delhi 2010 will be the most phenomenal in history in putting the athletes in their places -- spoiled kids who have to face the REAL WORLD, not pampered princesses (think Johnette Weir) and phagettes!! :lol:

Just what is your problem with Athletes? I've said this before and I'll say it again. The Olympic Games are about SPORT COMPETITION, not flashy shows, which is all you really seem to care about. We all enjoy the OC and the CC but without the athletes there are no Olympic Games!

So what happened? Did some Athlete you had a crush on, ignore you when you sent them love letters? Decline to give you their autograph? Are you jealous of their sporting abilities? What the hell is it?

Just what is your problem with Athletes? I've said this before and I'll say it again. The Olympic Games are about SPORT COMPETITION, not flashy shows, which is all you really seem to care about. We all enjoy the OC and the CC but without the athletes there are no Olympic Games!

So what happened? Did some Athlete you had a crush on, ignore you when you sent them love letters? Decline to give you their autograph? Are you jealous of their sporting abilities? What the hell is it?

Apparently he is mad at them for not being able to cure him... That's the official reason at least!

Clearly, stating that athletes are spoiled tends to prove that Baron has no idea what's the life of an athlete is...

Apparently he is mad at them for not being able to cure him... That's the official reason at least!

Clearly, stating that athletes are spoiled tends to prove that Baron has no idea what's the life of an athlete is...

Oh thank you for answering for me. Stupid reply as always. I DON'T remember saying you could answer for me. <_<

OTO, I just don't think they are the center of the universe as the Olympics make them out to be. Yes, it seems out of kilter to be spending a treasury's BILLIONS just to showcase some people who will, except for the few who become billionaires, for the most part NOT really contribute anything substantial to the world.

Further, athletes are a totally replaceable commodity. There's always another one waiting to step in when gets injured or retires, etc. Ceremonies ARE NOT!! They are one of a KIND!! B)

That's my view of my universe; you don't have to share it. :P

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Looking at the lastest venue photos on SSC, I think Delhi is going to pull this off by the skin of their teeth. I'm not saying the preparations haven't been shambolic but I think it's looking a lot more hopeful than it was even a couple of weeks ago. The organisers will be flying by the seat of their pants given how little testing seems to have gone on at the venues, but it's quite possible these Games will be a success despite (not because of) the preparations.

The build-up remains, however, a very poor advert for any future Olympic bid, and I don't think the IOC will go near them any time soon because of this. But I reckon the CWGs could be better than some are predicting...

Let's wait and see.

Rob, whilst I've been at the forefront at posting some fairly negative articles and scathing about the overall value of these games (which I stand by 100%) I think you may be right insofar as the Delhi 2010 games will pass with no major setbacks. This doesn't mean they will be a success in terms of say a Melbourne of Manchester, nor on the larger scale a Sydney or a Beijing. However unless there are some seriously fecked up operational issues that wont emerge until the games start then there should be enough impetus to get the games done.

Having seen what is needed up close and personal in a games the key measures will be transport, security, athlete comfort, sold out venues and lots of local sporting success. If Delhi's much hated traffic chaos impinges upon the games then that'll be a big minus. If venues are half full that also will damage the games. And of course having any athletes find their village facilities incomplete, unsanitary or just not suitable then this will mark down Delhi's chance of success.

But what should be kept in mind is to get even into these lowest of low expectations the Indians have squandered, corrupted and delayed the delivery of the opportunities they were given with these games which in turn come at a far greater social cost than any other major sporting event in recent history. If all the athletes come home safe and sound with the winners happy with their medals and the losers enjoying the experience well and good. However the benefits for the average person in Delhi seem so out of whack with the dislocation, cost, political back scratching and sheer exploitation to make anyone wonder will this be truly worth it.

I have to say, the comparisons to Athens don't seem quite fair. Athens wasn't plagued by the same kind of corruption. They wasted three years bickering and then Gianna rode in to save the day. Legacy suffered painfully, but as one who was there, I thought the Games were a smash. It's saddening to me that so many spectators were scared away by fears of terrorism and stories of incomplete venues.

Delhi's dilemma's will certainly kill any Olympic dreams for several decades (though I always questioned India's readiness anyway). I wonder, though, how these Games will affect the thinking of IOC members. Will they disregard Delhi as a tragic, but avoidable anomaly? Or will they be wary of new frontier hosts? (Durban?)

I suspect that when all is said and done, Delhi will serve as a much-needed reality check for all major international sporting events. Just because you want someone to host doesn't mean they're ready. At their core are these events about sport and improving the quality of life or are they just about flash and glamour? The IOC and others will be reminded that these are real questions that must be considered. I don't think they'll start automatically dismissing the likes of Durban, but they will look very, very closely.

I have to say, the comparisons to Athens don't seem quite fair. Athens wasn't plagued by the same kind of corruption. They wasted three years bickering and then Gianna rode in to save the day. Legacy suffered painfully, but as one who was there, I thought the Games were a smash. It's saddening to me that so many spectators were scared away by fears of terrorism and stories of incomplete venues.

Delhi's dilemma's will certainly kill any Olympic dreams for several decades (though I always questioned India's readiness anyway). I wonder, though, how these Games will affect the thinking of IOC members. Will they disregard Delhi as a tragic, but avoidable anomaly? Or will they be wary of new frontier hosts? (Durban?)

I suspect that when all is said and done, Delhi will serve as a much-needed reality check for all major international sporting events. Just because you want someone to host doesn't mean they're ready. At their core are these events about sport and improving the quality of life or are they just about flash and glamour? The IOC and others will be reminded that these are real questions that must be considered. I don't think they'll start automatically dismissing the likes of Durban, but they will look very, very closely.

Comparing Athens with Delhi make draw certain simplistic similarities vis-a-vis organisational chaos and no fiscal restraint, however even the much maligned 2004 Olympics delivered a quality event which met the expectations of the organisers and most spectators whilst not necessarily exacerbating or exploiting social inequalities and the urban poor of the host city. Delhi seems to have been one sad and sorry farrago of lies, blatant misuse of money and influence, criminal negligence and socially irresponsible policies which have not just tarnished the CGs and India's reputation but frankly put most of the world's sporting bodies with an interest in Delhi 2010 utterly off the idea of going to the subcontinent.

As for Durban I'm unsure as to how Delhi 2010 may reflect upon a possible 2020 candidacy. In terms of bid and organisational logistics it would seem apparent that from the 2010 WC experience South Africa in general is capable of delivering on time (the debate on scope and focus can be obviously looked at in other threads). Financial and social inequality in South Africa may be bad contrasted with more developed economies however it far outstrips the capabilities of India. I suspect from the evaluation of a potential Durban 2020 bid would be reasonably positive with or without the shadow of Delhi 2010.

Having said that the CG farce for this year would certainly reinforce opinions about some of those more fantastical bids...you know, the likes of a Abuja, Cairo, Nairobi, Baku etc etc. The likes of the IAAF, FINA etc etc will find no desire to have their sports suffer the same comedy of errors in securing safe and well constructed venues in a developing nation's leading candidate city as has been experienced in Delhi.

THIS SHOULD SHUT THE MOUTH OF ALL THOSE FOREIGNERS WHO LOOK DOWN UPON INDIA AS A LAND OF SNAKE CHARMERS, POVERTY, AND CORRUPTION!!

THESE VENUES ARE FAR BETTER THAN ANY USED IN THE CWG TILL DATE - U BET ME ON THAT - AND THIS TIME UM GONNA KICK UR A**!

Flowers blooming around JNS

The Humongous Aerostat being lifted up for the Opening Ceremony Rehersals

gamesstad3.jpg

HERE ARE THE IMAGES AS PROMISED ABOVE - THEY BELONG TO A POST ON SSC - ALL CREDIT TO MO RUSH AND IN TURN TO REUTERS

My link

• Like 1