Looks like it's now being taken seriously:

New Delhi: India has more than doubled the funds allotted for the 2010 Commonwealth Games and is convening a special meeting of the Union cabinet to review preparations.

The decisions by the cabinet come after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh decided to become involved in preparations for the Games that have come in for significant criticism in the past few months.

The Union cabinet on Thursday approved a new budget of Rs1,620 crore for the Games—more than double the earlier allocation of Rs767 crore.

According to a minister who attended Thursday’s cabinet meeting, but did not want to be identified, the government also decided to hold a special meeting to review preparations for the Games. “The Union cabinet today approved the proposal of ministry of youth affairs and sports for providing a revised budget of Rs1,620 crore as loan to the Organising Committee Commonwealth Games 2010, at the prevailing government rate of interest, for organizing the CWG (Commonwealth Games) at Delhi during October 3-14. Budget approved earlier was Rs767 crore,” information and broadcasting minister Ambika Soni told reporters after the cabinet meeting.

Soni explained that the budget was revised to account for additional expenditure to be incurred on the opening and closing ceremonies and the increase in the number of days for the Queen’s Baton relay—from 136 to 240 days for the international leg and from 60 to 100 days for the domestic leg.

During the cabinet meeting, senior ministers including road transport and highways minister Kamal Nath and commerce and industries minister Anand Sharma sought an update on the state of preparations.

As more members started raising questions over the preparations—the government’s audit watchdog, Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG), has said the preparations are inadequate—finance minister Pranab Mukherjee intervened and said the cabinet could meet again to review these, according to the minister mentioned in the first instance.

LiveMint.com

A question for our Indian collagues - what's eexactly jeant by crore (in the figures quoted)?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well nice to see something positive emerging finally from the Delay 2011 CGs however the village appears no better than others (certainly looks like the athlete's rooms and dining facilities are of

Wise words coming from someone based in OZ, considering they cant even guarantee the safety of international students based in their country, hell a kid even approached john Howard with a knife back w

THIS SHOULD SHUT THE MOUTH OF ALL THOSE FOREIGNERS WHO LOOK DOWN UPON INDIA AS A LAND OF SNAKE CHARMERS, POVERTY, AND CORRUPTION!! THESE VENUES ARE FAR BETTER THAN ANY USED IN THE CWG TILL DATE - U B

It just seems that cities keep making the same mistakes.

Not sure if the Delhi venue is purpose built for weightlifting but its simply not smart.

The same applies to archery. Use temporary facilities.

Create a large exhibition centre for a variety of sports rather than indoor halls spread across the city.

are you blind .........?

now what does that mean ?

this guy appears to be blind.................sayin india is not smart enough to construct temporary venues for archery.but few post back i have posted a huge text regarding the temporary venue for archery near india gate................my effort appears to be going in vain thakx to some dumbasses!

Looks like it's now being taken seriously:

A question for our Indian collagues - what's eexactly jeant by crore (in the figures quoted)?

This is good news. Finally they are getting there **** together!

sry! :( :( :( :( :( :(

We will definitely cross the bridge when it comes. We will deliver the best ever games for sure. It does not matter whether you people consider our efforts serious or not. What was the thinking all this people with negative minds ? Our govt will definitely realease more funds when needed. Anyway they also have realized that the things are on right track. Positivity in any form should be welcomed

We will definitely cross the bridge when it comes. We will deliver the best ever games for sure. It does not matter whether you people consider our efforts serious or not. What was the thinking all this people with negative minds ? Our govt will definitely realease more funds when needed. Anyway they also have realized that the things are on right track. Positivity in any form should be welcomed

yashchauhan I have started a thread regarding our preparation for the actual games in which are atheletes are to take part which according to me is being neglected due all the hoopla over the under preaparedness of our venues and other facilities. Lest we neglect that aspect of the preparedness. Please contribute there also because indians who understand the situation on ground should participate in the discussion as much as possible to negate the negative mindset of other participants who have nowhere connected with India.

yashchauhan I have started a thread regarding our preparation for the actual games in which are atheletes are to take part which according to me is being neglected due all the hoopla over the under preaparedness of our venues and other facilities. Lest we neglect that aspect of the preparedness. Please contribute there also because indians who understand the situation on ground should participate in the discussion as much as possible to negate the negative mindset of other participants who have nowhere connected with India.

Sometimes it is better to bend than to stand straight and get broken!

Things are behind schedule and that is the reason why we are negative towards Delhi. We all want the commonwealth games next year to succeed for India and Delhi but we are concerned that things are behind schedule.

I don't think there is anything negative about being concerned.

Not exactly everybody who is criticising our preparation for the games is doing it with negative mind. But if you go thourgh the thread you will definitely find so many of them who are there with a negative agenda right from the word go. It is not for you people specially.

Not exactly everybody who is criticising our preparation for the games is doing it with negative mind. But if you go thourgh the thread you will definitely find so many of them who are there with a negative agenda right from the word go. It is not for you people specially.

Whatever..I mean the Commonwealth Games is not for the Commonwealth Countries right? Its for India!

Remember one thing - you are a host, you are simply hosting a party that the Commonwealth Countries have given you the right to host.

So your venues are a mess and behind schedule, your test events may not go ahead, and you have politics at the top of the agenda for your OC!

So once you start delivering on the promises only THEN will you receive the accolades.

Whatever..I mean the Commonwealth Games is not for the Commonwealth Countries right? Its for India!

Remember one thing - you are a host, you are simply hosting a party that the Commonwealth Countries have given you the right to host.

So your venues are a mess and behind schedule, your test events may not go ahead, and you have politics at the top of the agenda for your OC!

So once you start delivering on the promises only THEN will you receive the accolades.

I heard that Commonwealth Federation demanded some 22 million dollars which were 10 times the agrees 2 million dollars for some insurance cover.after which all this fuss started.................

As far as the games are concerned.there is nothing called mess in 2010 commonwealth games..........preparation are well under way...............our game will surely be the best in the history of commonwealth.........seeing the magnitude effort and money we are putting in..............our budget gor games management(which includes ticketing+ads+games services

) is $350 million..........highest............roughly third the entire budget of Melbourne.......even Beijing's Bird's Nest got finished just 4 months prior the opening ceremony..................and their most of the venues got finished either by jan 2008 or dec 2007..................which fairly matches our speed...........and its the so called GOLD STANDARD for Olympics.............

We are opening a brand new Airport Terminal 3....third largest in te world......

3948704729_e09f2a5dcf_o.jpg

World Class Metro has tripled in size and reached the distance technological hubs like Noida and Gurgaon....and high speed Airport Express line has been place between the city center and the airport.......which Glasgow failed to do........lol

Shipment_at_Korea(1).jpg

Our Games Village is the best till date.....even better than Beijing..with one washroom per two athletes....compare to theris with one washroom per four...........

............................Asian century has arrived....................

Full name National Stadium

Location Beijing, China

Broke ground 24 December 2003

Opened 28 June 2008

source

Name National Indoor Stadium

Location Olympic Green, Beijing, China

Broke ground May 30, 2005

Opened November, 2007

source

Full name: Beijing National Aquatics Center

City: Beijing, China

Capacity: 17,000

Built: 2004–2007

Opened: Aug 2008

source

These are some of the most prominent venues of the so called GOLDEN STANDARD OLYMPIC GAMES in the history of olympics..................ooooooooooooo......they were so fast that IOC had to intervene to slow them down!

BULLSHIT.........you mouths are shut in front of PRC but wide open when it comes to RoI!

I think not all venues have missed their deadlines.

The revised deadlines are

Cycling, swimming, Rugby : 31st March

Rest: 31st December

Hooper said the following in an interview:

"The practical completion of majority of the venues in the city is in December, while deadline of Cycling, Swimming and Rugby is in March 31. So we will comment in January and April," he said.

source: TOI, PTI

the full text is available here:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...ow/5180680.cms

If they manage to meet the new deadlines, the delay in most cases wouldn't be that great. I've taken the delay as difference between revised and old deadlines, assuming the revised one is met.

Old deadlines:

1.Jawaharlal Nehru Sports Complex

Athletics old: November 2009 delay: 1 month

Lawn Bowls old: December 2009 delay: none

Weightlifting old: December 2009 delay: none

2.Thyagaraj Sports Complex old: September 2009 I think this one is almost ready.

3.Indira Gandhi Sports Complex

Gymnastics old: October 2009 delay: 2 months

Cycling old: March 2010 delay: none

Wrestling old: December 2009 delay: none

4.Dr. S.P. Mukherjee Swimming Stadium old: October 2009 delay: 5 months

5.Talkatora Indoor Stadium old:

Boxing old: October 2009 delay: 2 months

6.Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium old: September 2009 delay: 3 months

7.Siri Fort Sports Complex

Badminton old: December 2009 delay: none

Squash old: December 2009 delay: none

8.Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range

Shooting old: September 2009 delay: 3 months

Full Bore old: December 2009 delay: none

9.R.K. Khanna Tennis Complex

Tennis old: December 2009 delay: none

10.Yamuna Sports Complex

Table Tennis old: December 2009 delay: none

Archery old: December 2009 delay: none

Rugby is at Delhi University, don't know about the delay.

Does anyone know which test events have been postponed or are going to be, given the new schedule?

I think facts and figures give a better understanding than a vague opinion, so if anyone has any details please share it. NOC, since you were a part of the CW delegation, do you have insider information?

I think not all venues have missed their deadlines.

The revised deadlines are

Cycling, swimming, Rugby : 31st March

Rest: 31st December

Hooper said the following in an interview:

"The practical completion of majority of the venues in the city is in December, while deadline of Cycling, Swimming and Rugby is in March 31. So we will comment in January and April," he said.

source: TOI, PTI

the full text is available here:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...ow/5180680.cms

If they manage to meet the new deadlines, the delay in most cases wouldn't be that great. I've taken the delay as difference between revised and old deadlines, assuming the revised one is met.

Old deadlines:

1.Jawaharlal Nehru Sports Complex

Athletics old: November 2009 delay: 1 month

Lawn Bowls old: December 2009 delay: none

Weightlifting old: December 2009 delay: none

2.Thyagaraj Sports Complex old: September 2009 I think this one is almost ready.

3.Indira Gandhi Sports Complex

Gymnastics old: October 2009 delay: 2 months

Cycling old: March 2010 delay: none

Wrestling old: December 2009 delay: none

4.Dr. S.P. Mukherjee Swimming Stadium old: October 2009 delay: 5 months

5.Talkatora Indoor Stadium old:

Boxing old: October 2009 delay: 2 months

6.Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium old: September 2009 delay: 3 months

7.Siri Fort Sports Complex

Badminton old: December 2009 delay: none

Squash old: December 2009 delay: none

8.Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range

Shooting old: September 2009 delay: 3 months

Full Bore old: December 2009 delay: none

9.R.K. Khanna Tennis Complex

Tennis old: December 2009 delay: none

10.Yamuna Sports Complex

Table Tennis old: December 2009 delay: none

Archery old: December 2009 delay: none

Rugby is at Delhi University, don't know about the delay.

Does anyone know which test events have been postponed or are going to be, given the new schedule?

I think facts and figures give a better understanding than a vague opinion, so if anyone has any details please share it. NOC, since you were a part of the CW delegation, do you have insider information?

SHOOTING WORLD CUP HAS BEEN cancelled...........

The reason......................

"The 2010 ISSF World Cup in New Delhi has been cancelled. The Organising Committee of the New Delhi World Cup Stage withdrew its application in an official communication to the ISSF," the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) said in a statement.

"The Indian organisers explained the reason of their renouncement mentioning the decision of the IOC on the Olympic Quota Places distribution matter, stressing the fact that no Quota Places would be distributed at the New Delhi World Cup Stage," it added.

"The IOC restated that International Federations will only be able to distribute Olympic Quota Places starting from two years prior the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympic Games.

"Therefore, no Quota Places will be assigned during ISSF World Cup Stages, next year. The first Quota Places will be awarded during the 50th ISSF World Championships in all events that will take place in Munich from July 29 through August 11, 2010," the statement read.

here is speculation that the event has been cancelled as the shooting ranges would not be ready in time but with the Commonwealth Championship going ahead as planned in February next year, quota places seem to the only reason for the organisers' decision not to host it.

NRAI chief Baljeet Singh Sethi said the organisers decided against hosting the event as there were no quota places on offer.

"Since there were no Olympic quota places on offer, we decided not to host the World Cup," he said.

The alternative venue for staging the World Cup would be decided in the coming weeks.

"The ISSF will evaluate substitutive locations for the 2010 World Cup Stage in Rifle and Pistol events in the next weeks," the ISSF said.

Delhi will probably get everything built for the actual Games...but you won't have them ready for the test events AND ticketing...and because of those massive delays, the actual events (WITHOUT the test events) and early and correct sales of tickets WILL SUFFER greatly.

I mean the CWG people have seen this before, so please, Indians, don't try to pull the wool over other people's eyes. You will probably deliver a substandard set of CWGs because of that.

It's not about being critical - it's about observing just how things are progressing. As many people have alluded to, it's not just about the physical infrastructure - we're mostly sure they will be physically done on time - but it's so many other aspects - including preparing your national team - that these physical construction delays set back on the total timetable. Not to mention the heat that has seemed to have playd out on the political level in India - which seemed to be hampering progress than moving it forward faster.

The good news is it does seem the necessary decisions have been made and a sense of more urgency has come to preparations. Let's just hope it's not too late.

It's a multinational games, so is of interest and concern to many nations - particularly us in the Commonwealth - it's not India's games only for Indians to discuss. I really hope and wish you have a wonderful success - I'd long been excited by the idea of an Indian games.

It's not about being critical - it's about observing just how things are progressing. As many people have alluded to, it's not just about the physical infrastructure - we're mostly sure they will be physically done on time - but it's so many other aspects - including preparing your national team - that these physical construction delays set back on the total timetable. Not to mention the heat that has seemed to have playd out on the political level in India - which seemed to be hampering progress than moving it forward faster.

The good news is it does seem the necessary decisions have been made and a sense of more urgency has come to preparations. Let's just hope it's not too late.

It's a multinational games, so is of interest and concern to many nations - particularly us in the Commonwealth - it's not India's games only for Indians to discuss. I really hope and wish you have a wonderful success - I'd long been excited by the idea of an Indian games.

Exactly.

Delhi will probably get everything built for the actual Games...but you won't have them ready for the test events AND ticketing...and because of those massive delays, the actual events (WITHOUT the test events) and early and correct sales of tickets WILL SUFFER greatly.

I mean the CWG people have seen this before, so please, Indians, don't try to pull the wool over other people's eyes. You will probably deliver a substandard set of CWGs because of that.

I think you have wrong information. The CWG 2010 organising committee has not said, that any test events have been cancelled. I think if the Dec. 31st deadline is met, the test events are going to be held as per schedule. Tickets are going to be sold from next month onwards, so no delay on that part. Do you have any other information? Can you share it here?